• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are there other discs like the meteor?

dethyr

Hey folks, I bought a meteor recently and I love it. I am wondering if there are other discs that have a similar flight pattern? I love that I can throw it RHBH and get a flick type flight out of it. But I am looking for other options that are similar, maybe even distance driver that does something similar or just other mid range / fairway drivers.

Methinks he discovered why understable discs are useful.

OP: lots of discs out there that are understable mids. Tangent, Fuse, Stingray...The list goes on. Are you looking to replace the Meteor or just asking for general knowledge?

Out of curiosity, what is a "flick type flight?"

Backhand anny :doh:

*OP-I use an X Comet for those types of shots but a Stingray is great. Fuses and Tangents wish they were those discs.

Last edited:
I also throw two meteors, it is simply a fairly fast and understable midrange. You'll get the same flight out of a looot of different molds if they are worn in to a similar level of understability. M4s are usually very close in speed and stability to a meteor.

I also throw two meteors, it is simply a fairly fast and understable midrange. You'll get the same flight out of a looot of different molds if they are worn in to a similar level of understability. M4s are usually very close in speed and stability to a meteor.

Sorry, fast no, understable yes. Meteors fly fairly slow for a mid, but with a lot of glide. They're also somewhat unique as mids go, so no, you won't get "the same flight" out of "different molds when worn in".

Ted, really, where are you coming up with this stuff? It makes one wonder if you actually throw the discs you comment on.(see other threads)

Sorry, fast no, understable yes. Meteors fly fairly slow for a mid, but with a lot of glide. They're also somewhat unique as mids go, so no, you won't get "the same flight" out of "different molds when worn in".

Ted, really, where are you coming up with this stuff? It makes one wonder if you actually throw the discs you comment on.(see other threads)

Eh. From my experience with the Meteor, although it has a lot of glide it is also very fast. Sometimes, I think the Meteor might be faster than my Buzzz.

Also, although the Meteor is good, I believe that kind of shot can be accomplished by many other midranges, including a worn in M4. Personally, I think the Tursas is very similar to a Meteor.

Why don't you just offer your own viewpoint instead of attacking Ted's? I might not agree with what someone posts, but that's no reason to question their honesty. Instead, I just accept that their experience differed from mine.

Meteor is really fast for a mid when compared to say a Roc. It's a driver type mid vs a putter type mid so I'd definitely agree with Ted... Much faster than a comet or even a Wasp, Cobra etc

Ahhhh DGCR. Where disc advice and dong measuring go hand in hand.

Fast Meteors? Does lack of fade make it seem fast to some of you? Maybe the flat rim bottom makes it seem faster? 1.3cm is on the narrow side of midrange rim width, and doesn't make for a "fast" midrange. Faster than a Roc? Okay. A Wasp? No way! Want a fast mid?...Squall, Warrior, Karma, Scout, Warship, Truth...

Stingrays give a very similar flight pattern but, in my experience, they need a little more height than a Meteor. I prefer a really seasoned DX Roc or seasoned X Comet for that shot though.

I was referring more to the common roc, comet, etc. It's definitely a hair faster (not just wider rim width) than a buzzz which I also consider fast for a mid. At least fast enough to throw a powerful 350 foot flat ground straight, level to-the-point shot with little to no turn if it's fresh and heavy enough. Or even longer if you have dat McBeast powah. Yeah the squall, glide, warship, truth, and many others are all noticeably faster but I guess to me they begin to blur the lines of "midrange drivers" and "fairway drivers". Regardless this is all semantics which I personally don't care to discuss often these days, though I used to. I'm mostly just a frolfer now, not the argumentative, analytical, obsessive forumite I once was.