• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are there other discs like the meteor?

Well, that's arbitrary, based on your experience, isn't it? If you care to look at reviews of the Warship and Truth(tons here on DGCR alone), you'll see that "fast" is a predominant theme...and also "long".

The same can't be said about reviews of the Meteor. Most peope describe it with words like, finesse, glide, turn...not speed.

The Core may be more debatable depending on which plastic.

My last post here. This horse has been beaten to death several times over. I leave you with this:

IMO the Comet is more evenly stable across a wider- but slower- range of speeds. The big difference between the 2 is that te Comet is a slow, glidey. really long finesse mid. The Meteor is intended to be a slow turning turnover mid but it ends up going really straight and acting like a Comet for those golfers who don't meet its power requirements. It takes a decent speed to initiate the turn on the Meteor.

I would say that if you (Racer93 specifically because I know you throw really far) are looking for a faster turnover mid that gets fairway distance then the Meteor is a great choice. If you are looking for a putter-speed finesse mid that gets fairway distance then the Comet is the more obvious choice.

I know you know Comets already. The Meteor will be more of the same but aimed at a slightly different audience.

Well, that's arbitrary, based on your experience, isn't it? If you care to look at reviews of the Warship and Truth(tons here on DGCR alone), you'll see that "fast" is a predominant theme...and also "long".

The same can't be said about reviews of the Meteor. Most peope describe it with words like, finesse, glide, turn...not speed.

The Core may be more debatable depending on which plastic.

I prefer to judge discs based on experience rather than just looking at numbers on a spreadsheet.

A quick scan of one thread turned this up. Clearly no one thinks of the Meteor is a fast mid.... :doh:

yeah, just put one in my bag not to long ago, i love em! they're fast, controllable, i can throw them a mile. They're too good

It is faster than the Fuse and thus flips a little faster and has a bit more LSS at the very end of the flight.

really? its glides forever? the meteor is a fast mid. i bag one and have forever but i would not say it has as much glide as you all make it to seem. the comet has too much damm glide.

People do say those things about the Truth and Warship because they are fast midranges. However, people also say those things about the Meteor. I'm not sure where you get the impression that people don't think the Meteor is fast. Maybe you should actually read the threads you are citing as evidence and see what they say:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19117

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58365

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72119

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11976

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20142

If you take the time to read these threads (I doubt you will), you will find that the overall impression of the Meteor is that it is a fast, understable, driver-like midrange.

Calling your bluff, and reading them. Not seeing fast...but seeing what's expected, such as glide and understability. Unless you consider "faster" than a Comet or Stratus legit, LOL.

88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif

I'm joining Hammer and leaving the building. It's been interesting to say the least. What started as "faster mids than the Meteor" turned into what I have to assume are a few Meteor diehards getting all pushed out of shape. Deal with it...

Calling your bluff, and reading them. Not seeing fast...but seeing what's expected, such as glide and understability. Unless you consider "faster" than a Comet or Stratus legit, LOL.

A Stratus isn't even a midrange. It never was. It was always a tweener driver.

And it's nothing new about these "fast mids" you think are just now popping up. DC's made the Eclipse, Impact, Stratus, Storm, and a bunch of others.

Okay, the reason I'm talking about mids that are faster than the Meteor is because that is the trend, faster mids.

What started as "faster mids than the Meteor" turned into what I have to assume are a few Meteor diehards getting all pushed out of shape.

This might be the stupidest damn thread I've ever let myself wade through on here. I'll bet the OP is sorry he asked the question now. Dude just liked the flight pattern on his Meteor and wanted to know what other discs might fly similarly...he just needed help with definitions and understanding basic disc flight/physics. It was never about mids vs. fairways or faster and slower. I don't think Meteor diehards exist or if they do, they aren't pushed out of shape...just that a lot of what you said is a bit off the mark. Maybe you haven't been doing this for very long and are going off of more recent marketing and charts and such? Seems like it just a bit.

A Stratus isn't even a midrange. It never was. It was always a tweener driver.

And it's nothing new about these "fast mids" you think are just now popping up. DC's made the Eclipse, Impact, Stratus, Storm, and a bunch of others.

Exactly. The defined line of "fairway driver" has always been a little blurry and that's fine. It's been a little bit of a question, but never a problem. There are old discs that were "fast" or "slow" just as there are new discs that are the same, and if there's any trend, it's toward "straighter" for the most part. i.e. getting lower powered or new players some discs that aren't overstable and that don't need as much power to achieve a little distance. Wide rimmed drivers had their heyday and then people figured it that they weren't very suitable for the majority of players...or the majority of courses for that matter. Meteor has always been a bit "fast" and does well as a mid or a shorter fairway for those who can control it with more power behind it. Lots of discs like that. If a disc with a given rim width performs a little differently, it doesn't necessarily change the speed class it fits into, even if some newer manufacturers are using ratings numbers that don't jive with the Innova standard that...well, that set the standard. I don't think there's any conspiracy afoot...just a lot of great new discs and an explosion of mids and fairways to choose from, some with newer tweaked designs and flight qualities that we haven't seen from the historic big manufacturers in the past. Why is any of this a big deal to anyone? Use what works for you and enjoy the game, enjoy the choices we have now compared to 5 years ago or 15 years ago. It's awesome.