• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are there other discs like the meteor?

Meteors can hit those low lines so nice. Roc's need more height.

Yeah I agree with that. I just love my Rocs... First mid I ever threw and the disc (along with Teebirds) that taught me that I really love cycling discs.

I was referring more to the common roc, comet, etc. It's definitely a hair faster (not just wider rim width) than a buzzz which I also consider fast for a mid. At least fast enough to throw a powerful 350 foot flat ground straight, level to-the-point shot with little to no turn if it's fresh and heavy enough. Or even longer if you have dat McBeast powah. Yeah the squall, glide, warship, truth, and many others are all noticeably faster but I guess to me they begin to blur the lines of "midrange drivers" and "fairway drivers". Regardless this is all semantics which I personally don't care to discuss often these days, though I used to. I'm mostly just a frolfer now, not the argumentative, analytical, obsessive forumite I once was.

Okay, fair enough, this makes sense.

The Meteor I had was in a gummy and flexible ESP, and a little thicker profile than my other mids at the time...Fuse, Buzzz, Wasp. It flew slower than those and needed a higher line for the glide to kick in.

Meteors are great for sure. They are a driverish midrange much like a Buzzz - they actually have a wider rim by a mm - souce: I measured.

I find that out of all my mids I can get the most left to right or straight to right movement with my mid 160s ESP Meteor.

To answer OP's question, a DX Stringray is going to be pretty similar but it's not produced in nice premium plastic like Discraft mids. Sincerely, I have found quite a lot of overlap between a heavier DX Stingray or Leopard and the premium plastic, mid weight Meteor.

The Meteor just feels so nice in the hand with the flat top I was thinking about picking up a max weight Z and just rocking them and allowing them to kick out other molds.

Stingray is also produced in Star, a premium plastic. And Champion too at one time...should be some still out there.

I like a Stratus for this shot.

Star Stingrays don't really fly like Stingrays though, they like to fade back at the very end. That can probably be beaten out of them but I never liked throwing Stingrays long enough to find out.

Fuse, Tursas, M4, Tangent type discs are probably the most Meteor similar in my experience.

Co-sign Ted's posts for the record.

I throw champ panthers which is close prob won't go as far but close to what I once used a meteor for.

Meteor rivals:
Latitude 64 Fuse
ABC Flying Squirrel
Crosslap Lucky
Salient Antidote
Prodigy M5
Innova Stingray

Any of them will get the job done. I bag the Flying Squirrel but have been having a lot of fun throwing the Antidote lately so that might take its place.

I think he might have been looking for similar flights in other speeds. Given that I don't throw a Meteor I don't want to give too much advice, the the understable slots in my bag are held down by the Anode, Comet, Mongoose, and Inertia (from slowest to fastest). The Impulse would be more of a true US driver, but it overlaps too much with the Mongoose for me to spend money on one.

Wow, so many responses in such a short time... allow me to clarify and respond.

For starters, to the people that responded to my being newer and perhaps not well versed in some of the terminology with sarcasm, jokes and such... kind of a douche move but that's cool if that's what gets you through your days.

Now moving on, without having the bible of disc golf terminology and all knowing wisdom in front of me and memorized I will try and explain better. I can't flick / forehand drive very well but typically a forehand throw when the disc is flat comes out of my hand, goes to the left and comes back right. The meteor was recommended to me and it does the same thing but it does such when I throw it RHBH.

What I am looking for is a disc that does the same but perhaps with more distance. I have been throwing the meteor damn far for a mid range and my scores have improved to about a +4 or so over 18 holes of par 3s. I was basically only curious to see what discs were out there that have a similar flight path that I could try out. Sorry if any of the obvious PDGA tour professionals got a little upset with the question.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to be a jerk, I realize that I am a "newb" but I am on softball and music forums and even though I have a ton of knowledge in those areas, I am always happy to help a new player with advice without attitude. No need for it. Thanks so very much to everyone that responded!!

Meteor rivals:
Latitude 64 Fuse
ABC Flying Squirrel
Crosslap Lucky
Salient Antidote
Prodigy M5
Innova Stingray

Any of them will get the job done. I bag the Flying Squirrel but have been having a lot of fun throwing the Antidote lately so that might take its place.

Great disc and love the liquid or soft cryo plastic.

Last edited:
from my experiece I'd say M4, M5, Panther (especially if it's worn) I really loved the Meteor, it is fast, but still controllable. It's a midrange that is understable. As for 'Feel' and flight. I'd say the M4 is like a slower, glidier, and a touch more stable, BUT, very very similar.

M5 just feels different but for me the M5 was my meteor replacer. I wouldn't say it's better than the meteor, it just fits in my lineup better. Meteors are awesome

for MORE distance with a similar flight path: I'd say the F7 is an understable fairway driver, better for anhyzer backhands (would not recommend for a forehand) F5 is just a little more stable than the F7. You can FH or BH it with success. A Leopard is a lot like that as well. Going MORE speed, Roadrunner is a understable driver that is still really controllable. It's one of my all time favorite drivers. Check one out if you have not used one. Roadrunner is Innova and its understable, but can be worked to do a lot.

Would the Westside Tursas be similar? I have one, just haven't thrown it as of yet.

First, you sidearm Meteors under full power? Interesting...

Tursas not really similar except being understable. It's a newer more contemporary mid design and should kick Meteor butt in the straight-turnover role.

First, you sidearm Meteors under full power? Interesting...

Tursas not really similar except being understable. It's a newer more contemporary mid design and should kick Meteor butt in the straight-turnover role.

There are a good many people capable of flicking Meteors at full power. I flick mine quite a bit, although I use it around 70% power because flicking isn't my strength.

Also, the tursas and the Meteor are very similar. I'm not sure why you think the Tursas is more "modern", but whatever. They're both just non-beaded understable midranges with good glide.