• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Henderson, NV

Arroyo Grande DGC

1.945(based on 9 reviews)

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member

Join the discussion about Arroyo Grande DGC

My First Exposure To The Desert Southwest Style
Pros:

(1.853 Rating) A desert style niner with decent variety in a multi-use park.
- HOLE VARIETY - The sole reason I'm giving Arroyo a weak 2.0 score, with its hoard of issues, was due to the diversity in gameplay. The distances vary from the high 300s to the high 100s. There are some flat plays, some down shots and one slightly up-hill shot. The culvert, which did have ¼ inch of algae flow in it during my appearance, qualifies as a water element in my book. A hole like (6) has moderate tree coverage and requires either throwing a long laser thru a tree gap or bombing a RHFH. Among the 220 plus niners I've thrown as of this review, I'd put the variety at 75 percentile among this niner grouping.
- CHALLENGING - I think this course is geared best for MA3s with crossover appeal to MA2s and MA4s.
- CHAINS - Mach Vs, all of them were in great shape.
Cons:
Lots of minor issues.
- NO LOOP - Players can park either near tee (1) or near tee (9). Regardless of the choice, it will either be a quarter mile walk to the start of the course, or a quarter mile walk back to the car. There is an informal marked reverse layout reusing most of the pads, but the reverse layout adds no value to non-locals and piles on the issues.
- MULTI USE HAZARDS - Like every course I've played in Vegas (5 of them), there are other park amenities that come into play routinely. Here at Arroyo, it's mainly walking paths and trails, but they are in play on almost every hole. I had to pause my play multiple times. I could see the dog park coming into play on a terrible shot as well.
- NAVIGATION AND SIGNAGE - The on-site posted course map is sun bleached to the point of being useless. No tee signs are present either. Thankfully someone was kind enough to sharpie a number and direction to throw on each pad. Players will need a nav app to seamlessly proceed.
- TEES - Circular 8 foot diameter concrete pads. I needed more several times.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Of the five courses I hit in the Vegas area, I scored this one in the middle for aesthetics and at roughly 40 percentile on my ledger as of this review. The backdrop is nice several times, the terrain is cool, and the rock lined paths were neat. The issues however are the constant view of the built environment and the culvert. There is also a lack of lush vegetation and small bits of trash on just about every hole.
- TERRAIN - I don't agree that the course is listed as very cart friendly. After hole (4), the course traverses rocky flat terrain for the remainder. My ankles got a workout. I would not recommend this course to players with bad knees or foot issues.
- FORGIVENESS - Lots of chances for players to scrape up their discs here. Don't bring plastic here that can't take a beating. I am no longer going to feel bad when someone hits a rock on my backyard course. Oh wait, I never did. :p
- CULVERT - A concrete culvert comes into play 5 times. Good luck crossing it to all those who attempt to throw here after a good downpour. Also, just another feature to help scruff up one's discs.
- TIME PLAY - I clocked in at 27 minutes. A touch higher compared to the average niner I've thrown. However, this figure does not include the time it took me to walk to (1).
Other:
My first played course in Nevada and my 22nd state crossed off the board. Despite the low 2.0 rating, I liked it, and it was my favorite among the 3 niners I hit on this trip (Anthem, Red Ridge). Considering its closeness to the airport and a southwest desert feel, I would highly consider throwing it to someone who is strapped for time and needing to claim Nevada as a state played. Other than that odd niche of players, this is nowhere near a destination course. Great for a local within 10 to 15 minutes that doesn't have the time for the 24 holes at Sunset. Also great for baggers like me as it's publicly accessible and easy to get to. Among the 652 courses I've played, it reminded me of zero of them, not even the other Vegas ones I hit.
Mark - Hahaha, not sure if you read my FIRST review of this course, but it sounds like Arroyo Minor has not changed a bit in the 9 years since that review!! Great reivew, looks like you covered all the "hidden features" of this course. I guess if you played it after a downpour, it would be Arroyo Extreme!!