• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Artificially beating up discs?

JamesXC

Eagle Member
I just lost a DX Aviar that I have been beating up for almost 2.5 years. I now find myself with a hole in my bag. However, I love Aviars and just want another one of them. The problem is that the most beat one I have left is probably at least a year of beating up from where the one I just lost was.

Given that I don't really have a year to wait, is there any way of accelerating the process? What do you think I should try?

bang the hell out of it, on the corner of a table. I once saw Feldberg throwing a KC Roc 100 ft up in the air and letting it crash on the gravel. He lost his "go to" Roc the previous round.

Consider one of the following suggestions:

1: Practise aggressive sidearm putting from 5 feet of the basket

2: Practise forehand rollers on gravel or concrete

3: Practise powerful recovery shots from the worst woods you can find
:)

My buddy wanted to beat in his Vector when he got it, so he just threw it at a concrete wall of the pavilion at the course for ten minutes.

Said it worked perfectly.

I'm just curious, so don't get mad at me or anything, but if you've been beating in your DX Aviar for 1.5 years, why do you want a more understable putter than that? I've had a Champ Aviar for several months, and it's already almost to the understable slot. :confused:

I'm just curious, so don't get mad at me or anything, but if you've been beating in your DX Aviar for 1.5 years, why do you want a more understable putter than that? I've had a Champ Aviar for several months, and it's already almost to the understable slot. :confused:

I want it so that I can throw it on a 20% power line with anhyzer and not have it come out no matter what. I also want to be able to put it on a 250'+ turnover line that starts 150' left of the target. It seems like a strange thing to need, but there it is.

I'd also suggest low power forehand pavement rollers or field work on baseball fields. Doing some putting practice at targets like trees or square wooden posts can also work and is doubly productive. You want to rough up the edges of the disc without deforming the **** out of the flight plate and rim. DX Aviars can often even recover from big tacos, but that is risky.

Another option: just use it during rounds more. Get's you acquainted with the disc. You probably won't have much trouble working any line you want with it in just a matter of a few rounds once you get used to it again...

Buying used can work out nicely too. I've purchased a handful of great feeling old beater DX Aviars from the pond guy around here for just a dollar or two. They make great catch discs. People always love the way they fly when I break 'em out before rounds. Someday one of them might be called on to fill in if the tragic ever happens and I, like you, lose my flippy DX Aviar.

Consider one of the following suggestions:

1: Practise aggressive sidearm putting from 5 feet of the basket

2: Practise forehand rollers on gravel or concrete

3: Practise powerful recovery shots from the worst woods you can find
:)

Practice writing Practice.

Sorry, I'll stick to the english spelling and not the american one :)

Oooooh, burn!! :hfive:

I like the colour red because I'm pro labour; how about we type the way Canadiens do as well? Nope, this is an American forum dammit, type American!!

I just lost a DX Aviar that I have been beating up for almost 2.5 years. I now find myself with a hole in my bag. However, I love Aviars and just want another one of them. The problem is that the most beat one I have left is probably at least a year of beating up from where the one I just lost was.

Given that I don't really have a year to wait, is there any way of accelerating the process? What do you think I should try?

Just go to an open part of a mall parking lot and throw it back & forth about 50'. That should get you going in the right direction.

Wait until you reach in your bag and grab your 1986 San Marino XD that was your first disc and see a crack in the rim.

Now it's hanging on my wall, never to see flight again...

I think the best way is to just bend it like a taco. Not so much that you fold it in half but you can get pretty aggressive with it and it will retain it's shape. Bend it up, bend it down, and bend it from different sides. It works awesome and when your done you don't have a bunch of scrapes on the wing from sliding it across a parking lot or throwing it into a wall. In 15 minutes you could probably beat in a roc perfectly while your watching TV sometime.