• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Gateway!

What was up with wizards from last fall til this spring that were flippy out of the box? bad plastic or something else?

Frank Delicious said:
What was up with wizards from last fall til this spring that were flippy out of the box? bad plastic or something else?
yup. after 2 years of bad, bad, bad wizards -- everything in recent batches looks good.. nice flatness, not too tall. they gonna stay good?

how bout some shallower Magics, like the protos?

Frank Delicious said:
Leopard said:
Frank Delicious said:
yup. after 2 years of bad, bad, bad wizards -- everything in recent batches looks good.. nice flatness, not too tall. they gonna stay good?

I third this. I may be getting into the Wiz soon and the "issues" have been a deciding factor in my putter choice. Warlock is in a close second.

Steve said:
What discs are your sponsered pros throwing?

John E McCray uses just about everything we make,, he's still throwing all Gateway and doing quite well ( like 20 pdga wins in the last 2 years.)

I have not seen Nikkos bag in a few months but he was using Wizards, Magics, Demons, blazes and Spirits when he played at Ozark.
Hopefully he will start using the slayers,, should be a decent control driver for him down wind,, ( he needs really overstable stuff for most shots).

George Smith Uses Wizards, demons and Illusions,, not sure what else these days,,,heard he liked the Slayer but he just got them last week.

About 70% of the discs we sell are putters and about 70% of those are Wizards.
Our Mid range line up is starting to do really well in terms of sales, the element, scout and warrior work great together as a set and cover the full range opf stability.

Frank Delicious said:

Never seen a new flippy wizard out of the box in the 9 years of making them, but I can only throw the wizard about 360 feet,,do you have a picture of one?

Roc Lover said:
I heard Dave was changing Ozark Mountain and Akitas Run around, is this true?

no thinking about a 3rd course called Spencer Davis,,, a course t hat is completely in the woods so we have a better shot at playing it year round ( wont have to cut down acres and acres of hay fields).

We had some logging done and I'm hoping its a good start to some of the new course.

Hoping to have a really huge event there next spring!

Leopard said:
Frank Delicious said:

I'm pretty sure all of the wizards in NIkkos bag are from last years runs,,, one mans trashis another mans treasure.

but seriously what is it about the wizards you speak of are bad in your opinion?

Not sure what a proto Magic is,, is there a way to tell which ones are protos?

do you have a picture of one?

Itchy said:
Are there any stiff HPP Elements? I like Elements and I like HPP plastic, just wish it was stiffer.

There are some fairly stiff pink ones on the shel;f right now,, how stiff do you like it?,,,is outside the rules ok???

have you thrown any of the firm E scouts??

I like firm stuff as well and wish it was ok to make more of our stuff firmer , but we try our best to manufacture within the rules,, sometimes a few stiffies get out and into someones hands.

Call or write the pdga and tell them you like it stiff :) and see if they will change the rules.

just for reference,,,id say 70% of all Star destroyers, max's, excalibers and tee-rexes do not pass the flex standard and most discs in the top players bags are too firm to pass the 27 lb rule.

GatewayDiscSports said:
Frank Delicious said:

Never seen a new flippy wizard out of the box in the 9 years of making them, but I can only throw the wizard about 360 feet,,do you have a picture of one?

360? Or 260?

GatewayDiscSports said:
Itchy said:
just for reference,,,id say 70% of all Star destroyers, max's, excalibers and tee-rexes do not pass the flex standard and most discs in the top players bags are too firm to pass the 27 lb rule.

I never knew about a flex rule... does that mean vibram's softs aren't PDGA legal?

cfair said:
GatewayDiscSports said:
360? Or 260?

Assuming this is Dave Mac posting...

What up Dave, this is Joe T.

I am guessing he meant 360. If you have never played a round with Dave, he can bust out 400+ straight out of the car without warming up(Or at least he used to be able to when I first met him :D ).

Looking forward to trying out the Slayer.

Also...the Scout and Warrior is a great 1-2 mid combo, especially if you can get an S-Scout and S-Warrior worked in a little.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Dimple/Surface Technology and if you still plan to use it or if that project has died.

GatewayDiscSports said:
but seriously what is it about the wizards you speak of are bad in your opinion?
All of the soft Wizards I got that had the large "Soft" stamp were high shouldered. They weren't flippy, but they wouldn't hold a hyzer, and they felt huge in the hand. They also had more glide. They fly well and have their uses (long putts or an immediate stand in for my seasoned slot), but they aren't as versatile and don't feel as good in the hand as the less glidey, flatter, overstable ones.

Fortunately I had enough lower shouldered/flatter ones to get me through the recent runs and I'm glad to hear they are back.

What was the reason you guys axed the Element X? Was it just to hurt my personal feelings? Those things were every square inch as good as Rocs (S especially).

Latest posts