• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

I have thrown both extensively. But I don't think one can truly compare them until MVP puts out an Electron Proxy or a premium atom (Plasma plz). You don't think the Atom is straight? And the glide is better on the premium plastic Proxy? Not in my experience, they're basically equivalent but I'd give the nod to the Electron Atom.

Basically, I think your comparison is totally unfounded.

Proxy is fadeless, Atom has a small fade. As for glide, the Atom is very low profile, even more so than the Proxy, so glide isn't it's strong point. I also have and throw both, and the Proxy will out glide the Atom on drives, approach, and putts.

Also, it's not about Electron vs Neutron regarding glide, or one plastic to another in this case. These are 2 different putters.

Proxy is fadeless, Atom has a small fade. As for glide, the Atom is very low profile, even more so than the Proxy, so glide isn't it's strong point. I also have and throw both, and the Proxy will out glide the Atom on drives, approach, and putts.

Also, it's not about Electron vs Neutron regarding glide, or one plastic to another in this case. These are 2 different putters.

Been noodling around with both for a while now and agree on all points.

I spent an hour doing field work with just putters tonight, trying to decide on my putter driver line-up.

I'd have to disagree that the Atom lacks glide. My broken in Soft still has a touch of fade while my Proxys just drop straight down out of the air, but their glide is roughly even at this point. I'd imagine once the atom is beat in even more, it might outclass the Proxy. We'll see.

It's been really tough for me to nail down the straight putter driver slot. I have an Envy that is nearly broken in to compete there, about 25 different Ions ranging from fresh and stable to worn to dead straight, some Anodes, Atoms, the Proxy....I dunno. Leaning towards pairing Atoms & Envys as my main two driving putters, with a seasoned Ion in there.

Either way the Atom has grown on me a lot the past month. I think I'm going to do a full round video with them just for fun. Be a good way to help break some in too.

The Proxy is not taller than the Atom. And these are not "2 different putters."
Here are the two on a flat table with a level across them (Firm Electron Atom vs. Watermelon Proxy). For comparison, there is the same Atom next to an Eclipse Anode, a putter that is actually taller than the Atom. Notice that the Proxy and Atom are exactly the same height.
Unknown.jpg

Furthermore, I took the Disc DNA photo that MVP released and overlaid the Proxy and Atom.
10697214_844136852309858_7916259270968568597_o.jpg

The two discs are pixel for pixel the exact same height. Really, these are insanely close to being the same mold. The angle on the bottom of the wing and the top shoulder are both exactly the same. The only difference is the Proxy is very slightly blunter. You're going to tell me that you could take a (hypothetical) Electron Proxy and an Electron Atom and with a blindfold on, reliably name each one? No. You couldn't.

So no, the Proxy does not "glide" more because it's "taller." Maybe you see that because the plastics are different. But when was the last time you heard of a premium plastic disc gliding more than a baseline one?

As for the LSS, I'm not going to make that judgment until either one comes out in the other plastic. Because I don't make unfounded claims.

Sometimes I wonder if I spend too much time correcting wrong people on DGCR...

IIRC, the Atom, Envy, and Proxy all share the same core. Anyone know for sure?

The Proxy is not taller than the Atom. And these are not "2 different putters."
Here are the two on a flat table with a level across them (Firm Electron Atom vs. Watermelon Proxy). For comparison, there is the same Atom next to an Eclipse Anode, a putter that is actually taller than the Atom. Notice that the Proxy and Atom are exactly the same height.
Unknown.jpg

Furthermore, I took the Disc DNA photo that MVP released and overlaid the Proxy and Atom.
10697214_844136852309858_7916259270968568597_o.jpg

The two discs are pixel for pixel the exact same height. Really, these are insanely close to being the same mold. The angle on the bottom of the wing and the top shoulder are both exactly the same. The only difference is the Proxy is very slightly blunter. You're going to tell me that you could take a (hypothetical) Electron Proxy and an Electron Atom and with a blindfold on, reliably name each one? No. You couldn't.

So no, the Proxy does not "glide" more because it's "taller." Maybe you see that because the plastics are different. But when was the last time you heard of a premium plastic disc gliding more than a baseline one?

As for the LSS, I'm not going to make that judgment until either one comes out in the other plastic. Because I don't make unfounded claims.

Sometimes I wonder if I spend too much time correcting wrong people on DGCR...

Interesting presentation. So you're saying the Proxy and Atom are the exact same putter? Talk to MVP about that.

I have 2 Proxy's and 2 firm Electron Atoms, both Proxy's are slightly taller than both Atoms. Yeah, it could be the plastic. But if so, I would expect the baseline Atom to have both more glide and less fade than the premium Proxy, not the other way around.

Really, see if you can get MVP to fess up that the Proxy and Atom are exactly the same, as you seem to be insisting they are.

All this arguing is making me even more bummed out about losing my soft Atom :(

In my experience bagging the Atom and Proxy I'd give the longer air time to the Atom. I still can't get over how far it was going. It was used and abused so maybe that was the difference. My Proxy still looks brand new with the same amount of use.

don't worry too much

you should be able to recreate your seasoned atom after 2-3 tree hits

It's been really tough for me to nail down the straight putter driver slot. I have an Envy that is nearly broken in to compete there, about 25 different Ions ranging from fresh and stable to worn to dead straight, some Anodes, Atoms, the Proxy....I dunno. Leaning towards pairing Atoms & Envys as my main two driving putters, with a seasoned Ion in there.

So are you still using the Soft Neutrons for putting? Any thoughts about the Atom and Proxy versus the Envy inside the circle?

in the circle a putter is a putter. its out of the circle and other stuff like how it flexes out of anhyzer or holds it etc is more important.

That's why Mike has settled on the best MVP putter for doing it all THE ION ;) Of course you can bang chains with a atom, proxy or envy if you like that "feel" of putter. Basically have low profile ion/anode stability and a baseline envy with those 3 molds.

I actually wish the envy was a LITTLE more os. MikeC is a putter whore! duh.

^ I'm quite confident that they'll make an Envy OS, hopefully in Electron too.

^ I'm quite confident that they'll make an Envy OS, hopefully in Electron too.

I hope not. The Envy's my front runner for in between Pures and Zones, and Watermelons would be perfect with just a little more bite. Making them in current Electron won't even put them on my radar. I want that stability maintained.

that's my thought too. Kind of like we have seen with the ION being improved over the years it wouldn't surprise me at all if the envy's "bite" increased a little (like is/was the case with ions) as I've had an envy (from you actually I think TB) which wasn't all that LSS, at all.

that's my thought too. Kind of like we have seen with the ION being improved over the years it wouldn't surprise me at all if the envy's "bite" increased a little (like is/was the case with ions) as I've had an envy (from you actually I think TB) which wasn't all that LSS, at all.

I'm pretty sure that was a Neutron I sent you. The Watermelons have a little more bite than they do. Not sure about normal Protons though.

Are you throwing a max weight proton?(some were actually 177g that I had) I do think that was a lower 170's and flat top neutron you sent. The slight dome adds some LSS to discs like the tangent and axis so maybe that's the case with the envy too. I remember some of those watermelons had a little raise to the flight plate.

I'm throwing a Watermelon I dibbed from bdod. I still have the ones I bought from you in the vault. I believe I asked for heavies from you but couldn't tell you what I have. My thrower is flat though.

So are you still using the Soft Neutrons for putting? Any thoughts about the Atom and Proxy versus the Envy inside the circle?

I switched back to my stormtrooper Ion for putts, and don't plan on changing that again.

The Proxy is a weird disc for me. I genuinely think its one of the best straight driving putters I've ever thrown, but bagging it would mean overlap and shot selection confusion for me. It's also at a disadvantage for putting because I only putt soft putters.

The Atom and Proxy are both a bit faster and lower profile than the Ion, and both lack a bead. Driving, I like beadless putters. Putting, I like beaded putters. I like the low profile feel of the Proxy/Envy/Atom for putts, but the Ion just works for me. It's what feels right, its what I'm used to....I'm done messing around with putting putters.

Driving putters though, that's a different beast. I use mine a ton, in a lot of spots where most are throwing mids. I've been doing field work with all my driving putter candidates to help me iron out my selection. If I were grabbing my bag and heading out to leagues or a tourney right now, it'd be:

171 S Ion (worn) - putts
175 S Ion (worn) - go to upshot / short drives disc
172 S Atom - Neutral, slightly understable putter driver
175 P Envy (worn) - More OS driving putter
175 S Envy - More OS Envy
175 S Credo - Massively OS (In and out of the bag depending on the course / weather)

The Ions are really easy for me to throw and shape lines with, got nearly half a decade of experience throwing them.

The Envy is my favorite driving putter when it comes to feel, love the HSS, love how far they fly, but they are too OS to be my only putter driver mold. I carry the stiff one, my only firm putter driver, because its well seasoned and I like having one firm putter for short range rollers.

The Atom is growing on me. I like the idea of cycling baseline alongside premium Envys to cover everything less OS than a seasoned Ion. They might get dropped if they put out electron Envys since I could accomplish the same things with them. I really like the feel of the Atom...both the plastic texture and the feel of the wing shape.

So the Proxy would overlap with Ions to a degree (they have a bit of fade, the Proxy doesn't) and definitely Atom. The Proxy is an amazing straight driving putter, but I can't cycle them as easily as Atoms to give myself US putter lines. They also aren't soft, which I prefer.

Stuff like this is why I used to have a one putter mold rule. This part of my bag feels like its growing too complicated and I don't like it.

I dunno. I'll figure it out.

MikeC is a putter whore! duh.

Isn't that the truth. I can think back to rounds in 2010 where I tried to justify carrying 6 different wizards. I don't think I'll ever grow out of my putter obsession :D

Last edited:
Well, we all have our own personal preferences.

I'd love an Envy OS in firm Electron. :thmbup:

(And not just a little bit more OS, we're talking Zone-ish stable)

See, I actually throw discs, so I need something that'll withstand the consequences of my poor accuracy. :p ;)

:D

I got lucky when I ordered my 2 Proxies. One is like 167, and flies about 0/.15. The other is max wt, and for some reason it flies more like -.15/0. That one, plus a beat to crap N Envy (flies almost exactly like this newish max wt Proxy) and a max wt soft Envy (a hair less glidey and more OS for me than a firm) cover my driving putter shots like a mother.

The idea of beating an Atom into a more US putter is appealing on paper, but the way my throw works, it's just easier for those type shots to anny the blue Proxy, or else power down a Theory a little in a few cases.

Latest posts