• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Augusta Road Trip!

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Myself and a friend will be making a two and a half day trip to Augusta to play the IDGC and the Hippodrome!

We are going to try and arrive at the IDGC at 10am and play all three courses that day and camp at the Hippodrome, and play those courses the next day. We may have time for one more course driving.

Is there a preferred order to play either complex in?

I was thinking to do Jackson/Steady/Warner to break up the two longer courses.

Also I've read some good reviews about serval other courses in town, if you had to pick one or two to play coming and going, what would be your call?

Really looking forward to breaking the 50 course mark and adding SC to my states played list.

Thanks in advance!

I played Jackson (flat front 9) and Steady one day and Warner the next day. My regret is not not playing the long tees on Steady. Warner is the hardest and most physically demanding, especially the back 9, I played it before the front 9 on day 2.
This was near the end of an 11 day road trip, I was whopped playing 8 of those days.

Last edited:
Also I've read some good reviews about serval other courses in town, if you had to pick one or two to play coming and going, what would be your call?

Langley Pond is a near course in the Augusta area that has been getting a lot of talk, and folks from Columbia have been making the hour+ drive repeatedly to play it. You won't see any reviews because they're locked, until the designers are done with all the tees and amenities.

That said, 3 IDGC courses in one day is quite an undertaking. Steady Ed is probably easiest on the legs, you might want to save it for last.

Good tip! Are directions to Langly Pond on the site?

Good tip! Are directions to Langly Pond on the site?

The adress is listed. It's probably a but out of your way, depending on what direction You are headed, but worth the stop. Its also a long grinder course on the same level as Jackson/Warner, just an FYI.

My preferred IDGC loop is to go Jackson, Steady, Warner. I've found that if I do Warner and Jackson back to back I am toasted and have no shot to enjoy Steady. But if I do steady in between I usually have plenty of energy for Warner. Thats just my preference tho.

An alternative extra course is Lake Olmstead, which is a fun and somewhat easier course, and has the merit of variety---it is very different from the IDGC or even Hippodrome. Much more of a "park" course, with tall trees and rolling hills and very little woods or underbrush. Oh, and a disc-stealing lake.

The adress is listed. It's probably a but out of your way, depending on what direction You are headed, but worth the stop. Its also a long grinder course on the same level as Jackson/Warner, just an FYI.

Not too bad. It's 5 1/2 miles from Hippodrome, though on the South Carolina side of Augusta.

Though I'll be really impressed if they play all 3 IDGC courses, both Hippodrome courses, and still want more.

Haha, I'm a big hiker and can eat up some miles on a DG course. I've played Milo McGiver twice in a day and then a smaller nine hole 3 more times before bed, so I'm not super worried about myself.

The buddy I'm taking on the other hand... He might just tell me to go solo on a few.

patriots park is another one worth the stop. But it's much closer to the IDGC then the hippo, so it might be inconvieneint from a driving perspective.

We might could hit it on the way out of town, looked on the way homogenized were not too beat.

You could always stop by Pendleton King and play the friendliest course in America ... and then give it an actual honest review on here lol

I was looking at that, looks like a nice local course but some o those reviews are intense praise.

I think Fast Eddie is one of the characters to meet in the region. I had plans to do so; really prior to all the Pendleton "shenanigans." Per my conversations with him, I was very much looking forward to it. However, the timing just did not work out.

Every trip only allows time for half the things that "should" be done...

Last edited:
Hopefully, on your next trip, this is one of the shoulda's that you'll get done. Eddie's a great guy (and not responsible for the PK reviews).

I have played all 3 IDGC courses in 1 day and I don't suggest it. These days when I go I try for two a day at IDGC. I am not trying to say forget the other plans as I also love Hippodrome, P.K. & Lake O. When I go up that way I try to spend more time but since you live in Atlanta you are closer to maybe go back another weekend. Here is my formula when there.

day 1 WR Jackson & Steady Ed short. Unless you are close to 1000 rated W.R. is such a killer Steady Ed short is all I can handle after.

day 2. Jim Warner & Steady Ed long.

Day 3. Hippodrome & P.K. Yes I am in the minority & like P.K.

1/2 day of departure. Lake O & hit the road.

Steady Ed is my favorite there so that is why I play both short and long on the 2 different days.

Langley Pond would definitely be a good one to play; very similar to Steady in concept/feel (one of the two Langley Pond guys designed Steady), but it's also not a copy of Steady because the land is different. While it's still rough, it's not nearly as bad as it was this past fall when it first opened.

I have played all 3 IDGC courses in 1 day and I don't suggest it. These days when I go I try for two a day at IDGC. I am not trying to say forget the other plans as I also love Hippodrome, P.K. & Lake O. When I go up that way I try to spend more time but since you live in Atlanta you are closer to maybe go back another weekend. Here is my formula when there.

day 1 WR Jackson & Steady Ed short. Unless you are close to 1000 rated W.R. is such a killer Steady Ed short is all I can handle after.

day 2. Jim Warner & Steady Ed long.

Day 3. Hippodrome & P.K. Yes I am in the minority & like P.K.

1/2 day of departure. Lake O & hit the road.

I will be down in the Augusta area at the end of March. This looks like my to do list, but I would skip P.K. and figure Stoney Hill into the mix along with Langley Pond.

I would say all three are grueling in one day as well. But, then again, I'm just adding to the "old man" response that has been echoed...so I was trying to stay away from that (most of the posters have a lot of years playing experience).

It actually took me two separate trips to play all of the Augusta courses. I did get to play Steady Ed a second time, the second trip through. Also got to play Hippodrome and Lake O; so, I wasn't solely focused on IDGC. Langley Pond was not installed yet.