• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Augusta Road Trip!

I will be down in the Augusta area at the end of March. This looks like my to do list, but I would skip P.K. and figure Stoney Hill into the mix along with Langley Pond.

Coming from Atlanta, Stoney Hill's out of their way---about 1:15 further up the road.

I really want to go to stony Hill, but this is a little bit too far. We might go up to North Carolina that way in April and try to make the trip that direction.

I really want to go to stony Hill, but this is a little bit too far. We might go up to North Carolina that way in April and try to make the trip that direction.

I will be down in the Augusta area at the end of March. This looks like my to do list, but I would skip P.K. and figure Stoney Hill into the mix along with Langley Pond.

Hope you both get by, at some point.

I did and though I would say it is doable I wish I'd brought more snacks.

According to my Fitbit it's 8.1 miles to walk all three and the between areas. So long but not stupid long.

I did it today and feel good about it.

The only thing hurting is my ankle and shoulder but not from throwing. I threw a hard tommy on #1 of Hedrick and came down funny twisted my ankle and busted it.

We only got to go for the one day so we only played IDGC but it was well worth it. Thanks for all the tips guys!

I did and though I would say it is doable I wish I'd brought more snacks.

According to my Fitbit it's 8.1 miles to walk all three and the between areas. So long but not stupid long.

I did it today and feel good about it.

The only thing hurting is my ankle and shoulder but not from throwing. I threw a hard tommy on #1 of Hedrick and came down funny twisted my ankle and busted it.

We only got to go for the one day so we only played IDGC but it was well worth it. Thanks for all the tips guys!

Favorite course? Thoughts on the IDGC?

The park is beautiful and every course is maintained so well.

I was very impressed with the whole setup. Pro shop was stocked to the gills with every kind of disc you could want and tons of cool gear. Nice facilities, and the museum was so cool story, and the early frisbees and all of Steady Eds memorabilia. I was very impressed.

Is almost impossible to say what my favorite course was Warner and Hedrick were both amazing. Jackson's amazing and it's own character but it was so physically punishing that I didn't enjoy quite as much as the other two. Hedrick was in A pin position so it was a little bit shorter, but it has the most water exposure and maybe the most elevation as well. It also has blue DGA baskets I think there Mach five and you wouldn't think that make a big difference, but the blue is really easy to see.

I also really like because some of the shots were just so interesting that you had to pull off the tee. It would be like 600 hole where the first 400 as of big sweeping back doglegs back to the right in the gaurded position. So in a lot of ways those two courses maybe just about tyed for me.

My buddy who does not have a great arm really like that Ed course better you know he got wet a couple times, he didn't find it too punishing.

Ft Gordon??

So I am going to be in the area again next month, unsure of the plans right now but a question for the locals about the Ft Gordon courses. I will have a rental car, so will there be a problem getting on base? On this site it says proof of registration and insurance is required.

Warner and Hedrick were both amazing. Jackson's amazing and it's own character but it was so physically punishing that I didn't enjoy quite as much as the other two.

WR Jackson is mostly flat on the front 9. The Warner course kicked my ass, it is definitely the hardest one at IDGC and has the most elevation changes. All 3 courses are great.

Double Eagle on the military base is going to be hosting 2017 worlds. Probably 20 to 25 mins from IDGC or Hippodrome.

So I am going to be in the area again next month, unsure of the plans right now but a question for the locals about the Ft Gordon courses. I will have a rental car, so will there be a problem getting on base? On this site it says proof of registration and insurance is required.

Bueller????

Bueller??

So I am going to be in the area again next month, unsure of the plans right now but a question for the locals about the Ft Gordon courses.

I will have a rental car, so will there be a problem getting on base?

On this site it says proof of registration and insurance is required.

Bueller????

Bueller??

So I am going to be in the area again next month, unsure of the plans right now but a question for the locals about the Ft Gordon courses.

I will have a rental car, so will there be a problem getting on base?

On this site it says proof of registration and insurance is required.

Why don't you contact the base directly?

My annual trip is a little later then normal........

I will down the week of May 20.

Anything new or exciting in the area that I should consider?

New or exciting.....since when? Last year?

In the second tier of good-but-not-great courses, Riverview (an old school course) was re-designed in recent years after losing 6 holes. Patriot's Park is on the chopping block; Pendleton King seems to have avoided it. At Hippodrome, Old Glory has apparently closed, and perhaps Hogback as well. Langley Pond still does not have its lake.

None of the above statements being warrantied; I haven't been there. Just tidbits I've picked up from friends' facebook pages. More "new" than "exciting".

I just got back from an Augusta trip. I would play these courses first. IDGC (at least two of the three courses there) Langley Pond and Boyd Pond. Riverview is beautiful, but those holes along the river will test your clench factor. Make sure you stop at Big Als in North Augusta for a burger or a kick-ass coney dog. If you are a dedicated course bagger, I would grab the three nine hole courses in Aiken. Two of them are actually ok!

My annual trip is a little later then normal........

I will down the week of May 20.

Anything new or exciting in the area that I should consider?

I know it's a little bit out of the way from WI (since I just went there), but it's definitely worth it to get over to Hobbs Farm (and Etowah was also pretty sweet). And it's a nice drive across GA from there to IDGC.

I personally like Hobbs Farm and GA Canopy tours better than the Augusta area courses. Well worth it if you haven't played them yet.

I personally like Hobbs Farm and GA Canopy tours better than the Augusta area courses. Well worth it if you haven't played them yet.

Add in Little Mulberry and I can agree with that statement wholeheartedly. Langley is fun but also a beast, and Boyd is fun but kinda simple at stretches. I still love them both, but Hobbs is definitely as difficult as Langley Pond but much more accessible/not as much of a beat down, and while I havent played it, I imagine NGCT is as fun as Boyd Pond but more challenging as well. Little Mulberry seems to combine the best traits of the three IDGC courses into one super fun course. Then add in some of the Atlanta courses versus the rest of the Augusta courses and it's clear who the winner is. Plus more to do besides in Atlanta. Of course, those courses are way more spread out there compared to Aiken/Augusta.

And that's from someone who is a bit of a homer when it comes to the Aiken/Augusta area!

Don't get me wrong, the better Atlanta courses are only very slightly better than the better Augusta area courses. NGCT is more like the Jim Warner course at the IDGC but with slightly more brutal elevation and slightly better hole diversity. Langley is a fun beat down but Hobbs is as Bogey described it in his review as "the Rolls Royce of disc golf courses".

One thing is for sure Ga (and nearby SC) definitely have the destination disc golf covered. I can't wait for our next GA road trip! Looks like our next big trip will probably be Pensacola/Mobile though.