• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Avery Jenkins Star Teebird

Disc Golf Doctor

Par Member
Does anyone have any experience with the Avery Jenkins Star Teebird. I lost my beat in Star Teebird this fall and picked this up to replace it. I threw it a couple of times in a quick round yesterday and it seemed more stable than expected. I had found the previous Teebird already beat in, so have actually never had a brand new one. The previous one would just hold such a straight and true flight, whereas this one seemed to fly more like my big jerm thunderbird if anything.

well that is frustrating. I asked them when purchasing it if it was any different that the regular Star Teebird.

Are you talking about the Tour Series ones or the production ones with his signature?

Does anyone have any experience with the Avery Jenkins Star Teebird. I lost my beat in Star Teebird this fall and picked this up to replace it. I threw it a couple of times in a quick round yesterday and it seemed more stable than expected. I had found the previous Teebird already beat in, so have actually never had a brand new one. The previous one would just hold such a straight and true flight, whereas this one seemed to fly more like my big jerm thunderbird if anything.

Tour series teebirds will be more overstable.

A fresh stock run star teebird with AJ signature will start off overstable, you will need to beat it in a bit to get it in that sweet spot you had with your old one.

Try out the Factory store Pro Teebirds or grab a Star TL. Both will be super straight with the Pro Teebird hooking up a little bit more at the end.

Just the regular one with his signature

They start of OS but quickly break into a straight flier. There hasn't been a change from pre Avery to Avery star teebirds, aside from the stamp.
Buying lightly used, broken in discs is the way to go. A new disc rarely flies as desired.

Replacing a perfectly beat Teebird is an issue for sure. Keep working that disc in and hopefully it will get there, and when it does it will stay at that stability for years. Other than that you have a few other options...Gstar Teebirds fly pretty mild and have good glide, if you are fine with Gstar. TL is close to a beat in Teebird, but it does have a bit of high speed turn to it if you throw decently hard. FD is a notch below this as well but works for the beat in Teebird slot very nicely, again you have to slightly hyzer flip it as it is more of a -1/1 than the 0/1.5 of a beat Teebird. The JLS could also work too. Going to other brands, the Rival and the Explorer are as close as it gets...Rival feels maybe a touch sleeker but has that Teebird flight. I have not thrown a beat in Explorer but I have heard that they lose some HSS whereas Teebirds just keep getting straighter until they are beat sooo much. The Explorer looks and feels identical to the Teebird, aside from being in Lat64 plastics.

Last edited:
^For the record I am bringing up other molds/brands because I can execute those beat Teebird shots easier with a new or slightly worn FD/TL/Rival/JLS than I can with a fresh Teebird that is OS. Beefy Teebirds fly 30-50' shorter for me than beat in ones, I agree they fly like a Thunderbird but shorter/slower by a bit. Whereas a beat in Teebird is straighter and longer for me than a Thunderbird, but obviously with way less wind resistance.

Beat in Teebird is still the best flying though.

My GL River and a little worn in TB act very similar to me with the River being a tad longer. Both are great discs.

Get you a good Teebird cycle going! Pickup a few used ones, figure out how they fly in relation to each other, and use your fresh one as an OS complement to the cycle. I'm always carrying four or more TBs in my full bag.

Even the old PFN Star TBs start out with a lot more fade than what they beat into. Old TBs tend to have a touch more glide than the Avery sigs, but the Avery sigs will still beat into a great neutral fairway driver. If you look at facebook sites, the marketplace here, and in used bins, you can find some used Star TBs somewhere. They are the best.

Even the old PFN Star TBs start out with a lot more fade than what they beat into. Old TBs tend to have a touch more glide than the Avery sigs, but the Avery sigs will still beat into a great neutral fairway driver . . . used Star TBs somewhere. They are the best.

Exactly this, I find my AJ Teebirds to be very similar to how my PFNs started out but with a little less Glide. Comparing my new Star Teebirds to my PFN (and even my pre-AJ) shows the AJ ones have a much higher PLH and not as much dome. Could be how AJ wanted them produced. In any event, throw a couple of rounds with the Star Teebird using spike hyzers to get the seasoning quicker.

Otherwise, try a 2019 Nybo Shimmer Star, they're not as beefy, have the glide but do exhibit a lower HSS. Or, and my personal opinion on this, the best Teebirds produced right now are Metal Flak Teebirds. You could get one of those.

How would a AJ star teebird fly compared to a 12X Champion TeeBird?

I assume you're talking current stock 12x and not old PFN 12x.

Champ will start a little more OS and take a little longer to beat in. But a beat champ Teebird is a beautiful thing. It'll hold the TB sweetspot for years.

I personally prefer the feel of star plastic for a disc I'm going to throw constantly, but champ TBs beat in nice and straight with lots of seasoning. Straightest glidiest TB I've ever thrown was an old 11x champ.

OR....you could used my break in method for new discs that takes about 10 minutes and you will have a well broken in disc without a scratch on it.

i take my overstable Star plastic with the top facing you and taco it (always bending down)til the edges almost touch then give it a quarter turn and do it again. then i grab the edge that is away from me with both hands, thumbs about an inch apart and give it a little bend upward (towards you moving your thumbs apart) rotate the disc an inch and repeat until you get it where it will lay flat on a table (usually 2-3 times around the entire edge of the disc). and there you go! roughly a years worth of wear without ever hitting a tree. learned this watching Climo tweak his discs.

^Does tuning star or champ plastic like that keep the stability change? Or does it go back to its original memory shape after a few days?

You can definitely do parking lot "practice" shots and such to really get some fast wear on the disc, it helps a lot too. Then sand it a little if necessary to get rid of rough patches.

OR....you could used my break in method for new discs that takes about 10 minutes and you will have a well broken in disc without a scratch on it.

i take my overstable Star plastic with the top facing you and taco it (always bending down)til the edges almost touch then give it a quarter turn and do it again. then i grab the edge that is away from me with both hands, thumbs about an inch apart and give it a little bend upward (towards you moving your thumbs apart) rotate the disc an inch and repeat until you get it where it will lay flat on a table (usually 2-3 times around the entire edge of the disc). and there you go! roughly a years worth of wear without ever hitting a tree. learned this watching Climo tweak his discs.

^Does tuning star or champ plastic like that keep the stability change? Or does it go back to its original memory shape after a few days?

You can definitely do parking lot "practice" shots and such to really get some fast wear on the disc, it helps a lot too. Then sand it a little if necessary to get rid of rough patches.

Or just maximize your fun by doing some (a lot of) one-disc rounds with the disc in question, throwing it into the ground, trees, and the chains... :thmbup: