• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand critique please

bdzim

I've played for years, but primarily thrown forehand. This year I'm trying to develop a backhand. I've been throwing putters in my yard every day to work on my form. I can hit ~180 standstill and ~200 with an xstep on a good throw. My accuracy has been getting better, but my distance hasn't been increasing. I'd appreciate any advice.

https://spideroak.com/browse/share/bdzim/disc_golf_drives/

Upload to youtube next time. You need to loosen up your grip/arm/shoulder, and stay closed until your weight transfers(bounces like golf vid below "from behind you, from behind you") to your front leg. So your front shoulder should be turned back much further and lower(tilted forward chest toward knees) to swing through your core when you plant the front foot. You start turning and swinging before your weight transfers which is a major power leak as the sequence is of the swing is not correct. That all plays into the next issue which is getting your elbow out forward much further before you start to extend the lower arm(see last video,"going from back here to up here adds 60 to 100' or more").

Is this any better?

From watching myself I think I'm bringing the disc up too high on my reachback. I also think I'm too straight up and should bend slightly over the disc. I'm also not snapping the disc very well. I occasionally feel snap when doing the Bradley Walker drill.

It looks like I'm doing a better job of getting the disc to the right pec position.

Original video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIWcjTBZVU

Today's video

Side view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b5uY9qUp4A

Rear view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SQtzrrDqGs

Better than before and you are correct about those things. You need to turn your shoulders like 45 degrees further back at the plant, you have very little shoulder rotation. You also need to get your balance(hip and head) more onto your front leg so you can finish your rotation without obstructing it. You get stuck behind your front leg/still on your rear leg which slows down a faster free rotation or pivot.

Turning my shoulders more helped immediately. I saw more distance right away. Still practicing, but now I'm starting to out throw my yard.

That's definitely better, you can still twist into your core further. You want to hit off your front leg harder, bracing your front leg harder and getting off your rear foot/leg. Your feet and or knees should finish squeezing, you finish with your feet about as far apart as possible. Using the ground for torque you will rise up to release the stress on the joints and when your feet leave the ground they will go into each other or behind the front leg more specifically during a throw.
http://betterdg.com/topic/14-video-on-hip-bump-by-dave-feldberg/

Don't think of it as throwing the disc, think of it as your throwing your elbow forward, after which the arm will whip around like a trebuchet, which will fling the disc forward.

To do that, you need to think of the reachback in terms of the elbow, not of the disc. So you reachback your elbow such that it has a long way to travel before your disc reaches the right pec. This will necessitate turning your shoulders back farther than you have so far.

So from the back of your reachback, until the disc is infront of your right pec, your wrist/forearm/disc are just kind of along for the ride. There's a small amount of effort to keep the disc level, and close to your body, but otherwise it's all elbow forward.

From here, your shoulders should be pointing mostly in the direction of your throw, the disc should be at your right pec, and your right hand should be on the outside edge of the disc.

You unwind from that position. I found that it was much easier to hit that position going very slow, and then once I had the basic idea down, throw slow approach shots, just focusing on getting your body into the right positions. And as you start putting some muscle memory into it, you can speed it up a bit at a time.

Your release should be pretty far out infront of your body. It's pretty easy to go through all that, and not get your arm out infront, if you don't think consciously about extending your arm forward. You don't lock your elbow, but you do pretty much want your arm extended out towards the target.

The biggest thing I notice is that I'm starting with the disc too high. I'm bringing the disc down and then back up instead of in a straight line.

Yeah, you aren't keeping anything on a plane and your balance is behind your heels/over the top. You are bringing the disc back with it tilted down for anhyzer or roller majorly. I typically have the disc tilted up for hyzer unless I'm throwing a big anhyzer or roller. I'd advise to keep the disc totally level to the ground or hyzer. You want to swing and apply force on the plane of the disc. Starting with a lower reachback will help as well like shown in the Door Frame Drill, your center of gravity will drop into the slot of the arm plane to pull through on plane. You also need to stiffen up your front knee/ front side posture as it's collapsing as you come over the top(Your front foot rolls over, need to stay braced to the inside edge). Watch how Steve Brinster brings the disc back on opposite angle of you, his disc is always perpendicular to his spine so it's always on plane.

Latest posts