• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand Rollers

justin

Double Eagle Member
What tips do people have for throwing backhand rollers in low-ceiling situations. I'm talking about 200' in the air min before rolling and not throwing an arc/rainbow sort of shot to force the roller. I've got understable drivers which trail far to the right even on low shots (JLS/Sidewinder/Inferno DT) but I just can't get them to land enough on edge.

how low is the low ceiling? i love to throw backhand rollers but you have to be very careful with low ceiling situations primarily because of the amount of spin you would have to generate to get the disc up on edge without throwing an arc/rainbow sort of shot.

i have thrown and like the jls but have not thrown the other 2 discs you mention. my personal favorite choice for rollers is the innova panther, a beautiful round edge on that disc makes not only for a perfect roller disc but allows for a very high altitude nose down angle without stalling. this disc turns beautifully and is incredibly durable, probably one of the most useful long life discs i have ever thrown over the last 14 years.

back to your question though, if you want to roll without throwing an arcing type shot with the left edge up at release (considering RHBH) then you will almost certainly need to be using a stable disc (not overstable and maybe not understable just stable) and keep the disc flat at release with a tremendous snap. also, remember that the more snap on the disc at release, the quicker the disc will stand up, roll, and fall over after hitting the ground, hence the need for a stable disc and not understable.

try a panther if you haven't already, borrow one from a friend if you need to, great natural roller just my 2 cents.

I recomend you just throw it low with a straight flying disc!! Discs arnt meant to roll their meant to fly

I recomend you just throw it low with a straight flying disc!! Discs arnt meant to roll their meant to fly
Then why do they roll farther than they fly? ;)

I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. Are the discs not landing on edge enough and not standing up or are they flipping over too much and landing too upright? If it's the former you'll probably need something less overstable to get them to flip more and faster. To get a low shot to flip over and roll you need it to flip pretty quickly.

If it's the latter you should be able to adjust the angle on the disc at release and how much off-axis torque you're putting on the disc to get them to flip later and less.

OK, maybe if you throw some HACK/SLOP shot you can get a disc to roll far, COOL, maybe it works for some people but its like banking in every shot in basketball, its SLOP!!!!!

OK, maybe if you throw some HACK/SLOP shot you can get a disc to roll far, COOL, maybe it works for some people but its like banking in every shot in basketball, its SLOP!!!!!
It's just another shot. The more shots you can throw, the more situations you'll be prepared for. A roller isn't always the best shot to take, but there are situations where it is. How can having more disc skills than someone else be sloppy?

I'll take a "hack/slop" shot that gets me a better score over a shot that gives me an extra stroke every time.

If you're trying to throw 200' and THEN have it roll, I'm pretty sure that's an expert-type shot (I have trouble throwing 250' period, never mind have it still turning over). There is so much margin of error when you throw 200' in the air. Longer shots like that should probably be done as forehand rollers if at all. I would personally lay up near the canopy and then throw a roller into the ground directly from there, or just throw a low backhand from there.

Latest posts