• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand using non-dominate hand

Marv Vega

Birdie Member
I've been playing recreationally now for something like 5 years or so and up until last year exclusively used the backhand throw (rhbh). This year I've been working on my sidearm, which is coming around and starting to catch some decent d and is getting a little more accurate anyway. Lately I've been messing around with throwing backhand with my left hand, especially on short drives and approaches, it seems to give me a little more control on shorter throws than the sidearm throw. Perhaps after I'm more confident with the sidearm, I'll stop throwing with my left arm but right now it seems to be working well. Anyone else do this?

Growing up as a kid, I started tossing a frisbee with my left hand after I mastered my right. When I picked up disc golf a year ago, I started throwing with both (because I can't anhyzer on command). My left isn't as strong and still erratic, but it makes those right doglegs a little easier.

Yes I too have been doing this. However about 10 years ago I had torn rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. It never has been the same. Although recently I have started to gain a little distance. I have been told by a number of top Pro's in the area that doing this is as good as being a switch hitter in baseball. Also it doesn't make your body so lopsided. I also throw forehand quite frequently and with good accuracy. The way I have it figured is you can never have enough different shots in your game. So the more you know the better you will be. Keep doing it, it can only help!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not alone on this. The more shots in the arsenal the better, especially when dog-legging.

the other hand....

My left limb was as good for nothing in the disc golf realm until a year and half ago. I was playing flag football and had a bad fall and broke the bone in my dominant hand. Out 6 weeks, no way I am quitting playing so I take up the sport left handed. Had my left hand drive over 300ft on occasion and it was pretty solid. I have since let it go for the most part and really wish I hadn't. I think it is a great weapon to be able to throw with both hands equally. My wife can, that is why I am so desperately trying to get her to take up the sport. She could really be good.

I wish I was ambidextrous--there are times when I have to throw with my left hand and it isn't that good of a shot lol I have never thought of intentionally trying to develop it.
There are some short courses I play intentionally throwing fore hand (not my normal shot) and it has really increased my fore hand distance and accuracy.

One of my sons is ambidextrous and it's crazy to watch him on a course, he isn't hampered by obstacles, etc.

never tried it. It seems to be easier to master a forehand rather than your non dominant hand but anything you do to better your game is good. I sometimes switch hands during a racquetball game and that helps me.

I often putt better left handed than right, and have made a few amazing left handed forehand shots to get out from behind trees. Driving backhanded with my left is erratic, but I try to practice a few shots every time I play.

Latest posts