• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Suggestions

Quinum

* Ace Member *
I am in the market for a new backpack bag.

Here is the deal - I have a young son who likes to come with me to the disc golf course and tag along. So, I have to bring along a fair amount of his stuff with us. Change of clothes, snacks, a drink, sometimes an extra pair of shoes on top of all the normal disc golf stuff. At the same time, I don't really need a ton of disc space. I only really carry ~15 discs or so.

Right now I am using a C-15 from Grip and I love it, only it doesn't have enough storage. The top pocket just gets too full when I bring the little guy along.

Any suggestions on a bag with moderate disc space, but a lot of extra storage? I have been looking at the Voodoo ST and the GB Simian. The ST seems pretty huge and the Simian has a long wait. I've considered the Grip B-15, but I am not convinced the side pockets really add all that much storage capacity (I could be wrong).

Any suggestions would be helpful!

You could look into the Upper Park Designs Shift. It is a smaller bag that holds about the same amount of discs as your C-15 but has way more storage. With 16 discs in the bag you could put a lot of stuff in the lower main pocket. I had a Grip A-12 and the storage space was equal to the Shift.

Honestly, it sounds like a cart may be ideal. Just saying. :)

I personally need to have two drinks holders, and I'm wondering if you're in that boat too if you're carrying for two. I mention it because the Lat luxury bag would be pretty accommodating for non-disc storage, especially things like shoes that may be oddly shaped or larger than a lot of the side storage bags can deal with.

The other consideration would be that with most of the larger bags, it's not too difficult to add a spacer or something to fill the void left by not stuffing the main compartment full of discs. My brother in law glued black felt on some empty Tupperware and added a spacer you can hardly notice in one of his bags. And really, if it's something similar, you can use that to store snacks or towels or something too. I would think the ST or larger Grip would work well with that arrangement.

Octothorp by pound disc golf- all the side compartments have room to load down 30 some discs (large number of mids when I counted) Side pockets are big enough to hold a jacket in each. One water bottle holder on the side along with another pocket that doubles duty's for a second drink.

With the side pocket that fits discs you can have a second storage area for the little ones "bag" if you don't want to tie up some of the main compartment.

You could look into the Upper Park Designs Shift. It is a smaller bag that holds about the same amount of discs as your C-15 but has way more storage. With 16 discs in the bag you could put a lot of stuff in the lower main pocket. I had a Grip A-12 and the storage space was equal to the Shift.

Shift is pretty minimalist when it comes to additional storage. I absolutely LOVE my Shift. Between the vertical storage, the incredible light weight, and the looks, it is my favorite bag I've ever owned (and I'm a bag whore) However, I'm in the market for a new bag now because I need more storage these days for tourneys.

The Upper Park Rebel is a strong contender for me, and may serve you as well, Q. A gent in my league has one and he is able to keep a hoodie, extra socks, extra towels, and a golden retriever in one side pocket, and his clipboard, phone, keys, wallet, snack bars, ect in the other with room to spare. Two insulated 32oz drink holders and small additional outside pockets make it a pretty versatile rig. Also, it has room for 8-9 discs in the vertical storage and the lower storage has velcro dividers, so you can use one side of the lower storage for discs, and have even more storage in there as well.

Last year's model Rebel is on sale right now for $157.50 after "Save10" promo code.

The other big storage bag I've been looking at is the Hyzerbomb Flak X. Again, tons of room for storage and I love the look.

I've used a Grip, Ranger, many a shoulder bags, and I put my UPD against any. I just need more storage.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Lots of good ideas for me to consider.

@Broken - I have considered a cart, but I am not sure I would like it. I do see more and more of them on the course, though. I honestly wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to buying/building one. Also, two water bottle holders is a must for this bag. I can burn through a couple 32oz bottles by myself on longer courses during the summer around here.

@Kel and Reniger - Upper Park Designs bags look awesome and I was super-close to buying one this past winter. I always thought they had limited storage based on their "slim" design. I do like some of the features you mentioned about the Rebel - I wasn't aware that they had the adjustable dividers in the lower section. That seems like a slick idea.

@Hellbound - The Octothorpe looks like a quality bag...but it looks HUGE in the pictures! Do you use one? If so, how does the size compare to Grips and other comparable bags?

I really like the Upper Park offerings. My fiancé has a Shift, and I had a Rebel for a bit before I sent it on with Aim.
That said, I am highly skeptical that you can fit a hooded sweatshirt in the side pockets of a Rebel. If you can, you would have to be severely encroaching on the space in the main compartment. Though oriented differently, I definitely have more storage space in my Grip A-series.

I am highly skeptical that you can fit a hooded sweatshirt in the side pockets of a Rebel. If you can, you would have to be severely encroaching on the space in the main compartment. Though oriented differently, I definitely have more storage space in my Grip A-series.

The guy at my leagues is a bit heavy - I'd guess 6'2, around 300# - and he just rolls up his hoodie and sticks it in the side pocket with his socks, retriever, and a microfiber towel. I was impressed with that much getting in there, but you are correct, the pocket is bulging at that point. Fits, but it's packed on that side.

Interesting - that sure is a lot of stuff to fit in the side pocket. Definitely more than I would have expected.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Lots of good ideas for me to consider.

@Hellbound - The Octothorpe looks like a quality bag...but it looks HUGE in the pictures! Do you use one? If so, how does the size compare to Grips and other comparable bags?

It is def a bigger bag then the grip. Rides better with an even better rainfly. Currently I rock both the grip and the octothorp depending on the round/travel. (just picked up a cart also)

I like my grip for most local weekend play. Traveling, tournements, and rainy days I will rock the octo. I normaly only carry around 20 discs max so the octothorp is a little much when I don't need to worry about having backups and extra equipment

Well...after much consideration I bit the bullet and ordered a Simian. Olive Drab color. Pretty pumped! Hopefully it is worth the wait. I figure I will get the bag that has the exact features I want rather than settle for something good but not perfect, if you know what I mean. Thanks to all of you for your input!

Find an used Grip A series. They have a touch more room on the sides than the B15, and a touch more room for discs.