• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Tag League Formats

ManU

* Ace Member *
yes I searched
I read a few of the threads that appear to be on topic
but it wasn't overly helpful

can you guys tell me the format you run your bag tag?

We are looking at 1 night a week for league...non tag based...handicapped

I'm looking to set up a separate night a week for tag play

I need to know what general buy in's are (i.e. $5 to play? more? less?)
Non-handicapped?

Each night the lowest score gets the lowest tag and keeps it for the week?

Is a points system used?

x points for attending?
x points for your standing?

Are there prizes for each night other than the tag?

Or just cash at the end of the year?

Ace pot?

If 2 or more players tie for a score how do you determine final position?
CTP
playoff hole(s)?

give me as much info as possible to help me set up a good tag challenge/league night

thanks

Bag tags are just a small flourish you add to a league or tournament series. They're fundraisers. They aren't the central premise of any leagues I know of...

In Minnesota, the MFA puts out bag tags. At the end of the year the person with the lowest tag in each division gets a free membership for the next year (~$20?). Bag tags are largely just for bragging rights.

I've played in two bag tag leagues. One was less formal, $30 buy in for tags all goes towards course maintenance & end of year party. Whoever showed up just tossed their tags into a hat and then redistributed them after the round based on scores. Whoever won the round got to pick the location for next week.

The one I'm currently playing in is similar format except it keeps cumulative scores based on all your rounds you play all year and there will be payouts at the end for top players. However tags are distributed the same as in previous league, based on the previous round instead of overall league ranking. Also the course schedule is set and we play everywhere once except for the home course which is played twice.This one was a $30 buy in, $10 each week which goes towards ace pot & payout at the end.

Bag tags are just a small flourish you add to a league or tournament series. They're fundraisers. They aren't the central premise of any leagues I know of...

In Minnesota, the MFA puts out bag tags. At the end of the year the person with the lowest tag in each division gets a free membership for the next year (~$20?). Bag tags are largely just for bragging rights.

^ THIS

Players should be able to challenge other players for their tags at any time (tournament round, casual round, league round, etc). In southern Minnesota, once people find out you have a low tag number (word travels FAST) you have to avoid the courses all together or face being challenged every time you are spotted.

hey Mark, The bag tag nights we used to run were very casual, everyone shows up and puts their tag in a hat and thats pretty much all there was to it. More of a weekly get-together than a formal league.

IMO, one of the ideas of Bag Tags is to have something to play for other than cash, so i kind of like the idea of not having to buy in every night. Ace pots and Sidepots are still a possibility, but the main prize should be tags. There could be other ways to make it interesting, like put in $10-20 or something on your first night to cover your tag and perhaps some season-end prizes. These could be based on a point system like you mentioned, i like that idea.

As for ties and playoffs, usually whoever had the higher tag at the start of the night wins...you have to beat someone in order to pass them in Tag standings.

Anyways i want to help out, we should discuss more!

Last edited:
Both tag leagues I am in are based around the tag concept.

And what is the concept? Where does the money from the tags go? How do the tags reflect who wins what at the end of the league? My point is that if you're just going to give each person a tag based on what rank they finish each week, and you accumulate points off your rank, then the tag is just superficial and all you're doing is keeping track of scores like a regular league.

Well damn, I guess since you've never heard of it it must not exist. Thread closed guys, let's go home.

In SF bag tags are more casual - challenge other players, regulate yourself etc.

Down in Santa Cruz @ DeLa they run a tag league - but I've never personally played in it so someone else should elaborate.

I need to know what general buy in's are (i.e. $5 to play? more? less?)
Non-handicapped?
We charge $20 for a club membership and it gets you a tag for the year. $10 renewal.

Each night the lowest score gets the lowest tag and keeps it for the week?
^this but we do have people challange out side of the meetups

Is a points system used?
No but we are talking about using a points system for a 10 week leage

x points for attending?
x points for your standing?
If there is 21 people at the meetup and you are first you get 21 points. Last place gets 1 point.

Are there prizes for each night other than the tag?
We do a $2 buy in for ctp prizes. I usually give away about two discs.

Or just cash at the end of the year?
A the end of the year I am going to get special tags made for top 5 or something like that

Ace pot?
We do a $2 rolling ace pot.

If 2 or more players tie for a score how do you determine final position?
Based on who had higher tag, didn't want to leave #1 tag up to chance on one throw

CTP
playoff hole(s)?

give me as much info as possible to help me set up a good tag challenge/league night

thanks

Check out or Socal Group and there is a compleat set of by laws that explain how everything in the club is ran.

I want something formal
there are about 40+ odd tags here right now and no one plays for them
it is too casual

so I'd like it be more of a league based concept

maybe $5 buy in ($1 to ace pot, $1 to that nights winnings, $1 to season end total, $2 to the club to raise funds for future activities)

if you win on the night you get the glory of the top tag for the week
if you win the season (e.g. 2011) in 2012 you have the 2011 #1 Tag as a "trophy" in addition to the season end prize

thanks to Kaikas good help and info there
our posts were just about the same time or a probably would not have posted

Well damn, I guess since you've never heard of it it must not exist. Thread closed guys, let's go home.

Hey, way to be a dick!

The problem with the league concept is that it's really hard to expect people to come every single week. If some of the good tags don't show up, people start bitching and it makes a point system complicated. The real draw of the league you are talking about is weekly winnings, ace pools, cross 51 challenge, season winnings, etc...the tag is just a trophy more or less along for the ride.

They are great for raising funds, but having them as anything other than a trophy is usually bad. That is to say, from week to week, it's meaningless which tag you have. Theoretically you might not get tag one ever in a whole season until the very last week when your points total is the highest...

if you win on the night you get the glory of the top tag for the week

No challenges for the rest of the week??

if you win the season (e.g. 2011) in 2012 you have the 2011 #1 Tag as a "trophy" in addition to the season end prize

This is where the points system would have to come in. You certainly couldn't win a whole season just by taking the tag during the last week.

What a weekly mini by my house does is just make one tag each week with the date and park for the winner of that event. That's a nice lil trophy that I think could work for this type of league.

To me a tag league would work best if people got points for defending their tag and not just having the lowest number. This way people with prime tags would have an incentive to put them into play and not just hoard them.

Latest posts