• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bardu's Bag 2018

The disc golf gods shined one me again today. I saw a friend throwing a Starlite Wraith and it turned out to be the one that I had thrown for several years before I lost last it summer.

I tend to use my Champ for BH shots and the '15 Sexton for FH ones. I could easily play with just those two, but they are both extremely beat and it is kinda nice to let another disc get some seasoning. I picked up the new Sexton and it is has thrown well from the start. It doesn't offer much that the other two don't have but it is the most OS in my cycle at the moment.

I think it's impossible to throw too many Firebirds. I really like your bag setup, nice and clean core set of discs.

Found a 5x JK Valkyrie at a garage sale for $4 and I can't believe I've been playing without this mold. It has turn, fade, and monster glide.

167 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

167 12x Champ Firebird
175 '18 Sexton Firebird
175 '15 Sexton Firebird
172 5x JK Champ Valkyrie
167 GStar Sidewinder
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar TeeBird

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

172 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizard (2)
175 Glow Wizard (2)

The Valk has been a revelation.

Attachments

• F4488080-BD04-41CE-9CD1-31FCA54C5752.jpg
    F4488080-BD04-41CE-9CD1-31FCA54C5752.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 32
Disc golf keeps you on your toes. I've had a disc stolen and another run over within the last couple days. I've also shot some of the best rounds of my life. The disc that I lost was my GStar Sidewinder that I picked up last year and really started working with last fall when I lost my Star Sidewinder. It served as my main driver since then. I have another, same color and weight and it seems to fly identically, minus the extra glide I'd unlocked over time.

I'm really enjoying the Glow Wizards and I think it's time to get a new set of Soft Wizards in the rotation as well. I think I can easily handle throwing in a new Star Sidewinder in addition to the GStar. I can't harness the Destroyer very well. Now that I have the Valk, between it and the Firebirds, the stable end of the spectrum is pretty well covered. I'm thinking about trying to go back down to speed 9 or less and seeing if I feel like I'm missing any shots.

I hit an ace today, sidearm with the Sexton Firebird. I've previously aced the same hole backhand with a Buzzz for my first ace.

Attachments

• 128ADFB5-A482-4A0E-A311-51CE8978304A.jpg
    128ADFB5-A482-4A0E-A311-51CE8978304A.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I got another ace yesterday! This one was with one of the Glow Wizards. Two aces in three days!

I also bought a Champ Sidewinder. It just came in a new batch of innova stuff at my local store. I've had bad luck with Champs before, but this one feels and flies like a Sidewinder.

Attachments

• 27F05512-E84B-4E95-89C9-E94E42AB8BCD.jpg
    27F05512-E84B-4E95-89C9-E94E42AB8BCD.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 14
175 '18 Sexton Firebird- OH/FH, seasoning
175 '15 Sexton Firebird- FH, beat
167 12x Champ Firebird- BH, beat
172 5x JK Champ Valkyrie- stable compliment to the sidewinder, lots of glide
167 Champ Sidewinder- most stable sidewinder, new
168 GStar Sidewinder- main BH driver, hyzer flips, woods, distance, new
167 PFN Star Sidewinder- less stable, anhyzers, beat

176 2x Roc3- more stable, beat
176 12x KC Pro Roc- stable, beat

175 Glow Wizard (2)- drives and approaches, seasoning
172 Soft Wizard- less stable, beat
175 Organic Wizard (2)- putters

I cut the TeeBird and Destroyer. The Champion Sidewinder has been great, it's really nice to have one in a more stable plastic.

I got another ace yesterday! This one was with one of the Glow Wizards. Two aces in three days!

I also bought a Champ Sidewinder. It just came in a new batch of innova stuff at my local store. I've had bad luck with Champs before, but this one feels and flies like a Sidewinder.

First of all, nice. Second of all, can you comment on the durability and life cycle of superglow Gateway putters vs say, soft suregrip? TY

Also have you considered trying a CD2 as a stable complement to your valks? Same bottom wing with the anhyzer top - like adding 0.5 molds to the bag.

I spent the weekend in the Duluth area and got to play Mont du Lac! I got a nice a little snapshot of my game. I lost my GStar Sidewinder on the first throw so I had to improvise a bit, but I was able to find it again after the round was over. I brought the Destroyer on a hunch and I ended up using it extensively. I had mixed results on my driving, but my putting was in great form all weekend. I brought a TeeBird and rarely used it. I bought a new Soft Wizard and started working it in. I threw almost exclusively BH all weekend. For whatever reason, I just didn't find too many opportunities to use my FH.

167 4x Star Destroyer

175 '18 Sexton Firebird
175 '15 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 5x JK Champ Valkyrie
167 Champ Sidewinder
167 PFN Star Sidewinder
168 GStar Sidewinder
167 X-Out Champ TeeBird

176 2x Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 Glow Wizard (2)
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizard (2)

First of all, nice. Second of all, can you comment on the durability and life cycle of superglow Gateway putters vs say, soft suregrip? TY

Also have you considered trying a CD2 as a stable complement to your valks? Same bottom wing with the anhyzer top - like adding 0.5 molds to the bag.

I can mainly compare against Softs, the other plastic I throw. I've had two different experiences with Glow Wizards for any length of time. Originally, I bought a pair of two Glows that had the big superglow stamp. They were about SS in stiffness I'd say. Very grippy. Always more OS than my Softs at that time. The one that I held on to for the longest was a great thrower. It could take more power and be slightly more reliable than a a Soft, especially on relatively open shots. Both were lost, durability wasn't an issue. My second experience is with my current pair of Glows. Stiffer than stock Stars and PWP, kinda like the stiff runs of Fossil, but less stiff than G9i. These two are still pretty fresh so I can't comment on their lifespan, but they are leagues from my beat Soft right now. I've got some early damage, but nothing major or out of the ordinary for a Wizard. I think the durability is really good.

I don't think I've heard of a CD2 until now. I'll have to check one out if I get a chance.

Last edited:
Won my first tournament today. It was pretty dramatic with a playoff that went to five holes. So much fun. It was at a temp course that was predominantly woods. I played with the bag listed above minus the Champ TeeBird. There is plenty of overlap between the champ sidewinder and the valk and I didn't throw the Sidewinder at all.

I played in a B-Tier over the weekend and got fourth (intermediate). I chose a Glo Z Buzzz as part of the players pack and put it into the bag. Honestly, I haven't been throwing midrange that much the last couple years. Lately, I'd been wanting a midrange that I could give a bit more power to that would still be workable. The Buzzz was like an old friend, it gave me confidence in my midrange again and I threw it a bunch with good results. I plan to use it as my main midrange and to use the Rocs for utility. I lost my main GStar Sidewinder during preround warmups and had to play without it until I came back around to that hole. Deja vu, although this time I was prepared with a backup. I rarely use my beat Soft Wizard or my beat Star Sidewinder anymore, I like their newer replacements too much.

167 4x Star Destroyer

175 '18 Sexton Firebird
175 '15 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 PFN Star Sidewinder
168 GStar Sidewinder (2)

177 Glo Z Buzzz
176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 Glow Wizard (2)
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizard (2)

Haha I try not to change it too often! I have a DD Soldier bag.

I played league Tuesday night and added the Starlite Wraith back in on a hunch. I used it several times for max distance with pretty good success. I drove a 388 ft hole, with some downhill but the Sidewinder had been 30 ft shorter.

I played a two disc challenge on Saturday, I chose an Opto River and a BT Hard Harp. I didn't play extremely well, but both of the discs were nice. The River flew similar to the Champ Sidewinder I just took out of my bag, it is just slightly more OS than my Valk. The Harp was incredible. Sometimes I forgot that I wasn't throwing a Wizard and then it flew just like a Wizard anyway. I really liked having the option to Sidearm a putter as well. I put the Harp in my main bag.

After the event, someone was selling discs that they had found in the river and I was able to get one of my original Fossil Wizards back! It was lost this spring and is in fantastic shape still.

Sunday, I played an unsanctioned tournament.

167 4x Star Destroyer- wind, OS utility, FH
154 Starlite Wraith- max D in open on calm days

175 '18 Sexton Firebird- more OS, FH/utility
175 '15 Sexton Firebird- FH
167 12x Champ Firebird- BH
172 5x Champ Valkyrie- stable compliment to Sidewinder
168 GStar Sidewinder (2)- main driver

177 Glo Z Buzzz
176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 Glow Wizard (2)- more OS
175 Fossil Wizard- more OS
175 Soft Wizard- main approach and drive
172 Soft Wizard- more US
175 Organic Wizard (2)- main putters

I threw the Harp into the Big Sioux river and then lost my main driver again, the GStar Sidewinder, in a thicket of stinging nettles several holes later. I brought a backup and was able to finish the tournament with my bag still intact for the most part. I returned after the tournament with long sock and long sleeves and found my disc after about an hour of looking. Some days you are just happy to take your frisbees home.

I took the PFN Star Sidewinder out, maybe someday I'll learn to work with it (I could try rollers), but since it came out of the swamp it just bails immediately right. My midrange didn't get used much. I only used the KC Pro Roc in fact. The Buzzz needs some beats.

I think a Harp would fit in pretty well in your bag...I've debated adding on a time or two