• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bardu's Bag 2019

Played in the Duluth area over the weekend. Hoped to make it out to Highbridge, but that didn't happen.

167 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 '18 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
171 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 GStar Sidewinder

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
175 Glow Wizard
175 Organic Wizards (2)

I tried the Firms Friday night in 40 degrees and light rain and they felt clunky, so I threw the Organics back in for the weekend rounds. I hadn't putted with them since the tournament and it showed. We played Hidden Meadows and I played incredible there and followed it up by playing wretchedly at Carlton.

The grip on my Soft Wizard had been bothering me for sometime and I pulled it as main approach/thrower after the first throw and did not use it again. The Glow replaced it, and it performed admirably, but I will need time to build the rapport that I typically have with my main throwing Wizard.

They were very odd rounds for me. My Sidewinder was off, I'd just changed my main approach putter, and my putting was downright awful. Those are the hallmarks of my game. My forehand saved me time and time again and the Sexton Firebird was my MVP of the weekend. I had to scramble to make other things work. I threw every disc except the Champ Firebird and the Wraith. I didn't feel I was missing anything in the bag, but I will be happy to put the 12x FAF Firebird back in when I return to South Dakota. I took the more beat Sexton Firebird out and did not miss it. When I'm back in my usual climate and playing my usual courses, it will be interesting to see how I feel about the Organics versus the Firms for putting.

Tied for second in Brookings league tonight. Putting was 100% better. I played with the bag listed above. I put my Soft Wizard back as the main throw/approach putter with no issues, including draining one from 100 out. Putted with the Organics, obviously no issues.

I've been playing with my older Soft Wizard in place of the Glow Wizard since I returned from Duluth. I had thought it was too squirrelly but I was wrong. Its money and can do things my newer one cannot. I've actually put in almost all of my retired beat throwers and come to similar conclusions. The old Z Buzzz in particular is amazing, giving me an understable mid that filled a hole I didn't even know I had in the bag. I've played something like 175 holes over a 3 day period. I'm throwing the most molds (and different brands) that I've ever thrown, but I don't mind. This is practically a collection of everything I've worked with since I started. Here is how it looks with the year I introduced each disc to the bag in parenthesis:

175 4x Star Destroyer (2018)
154 Starlite Wraith (2016)

175 2018 Sexton Firebird (2018)
175 2015 Sexton Firebird (2017)
167 12x Champ Firebird (2013)
172 4x Champ Thunderbird (2018)
172 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 Star Sidewinder (2016)
167 GStar Sidewinder (2018)

169 Z Buzzz (2011)
176 2x Champ Roc3 (2017)
176 12x KC Pro Roc (2016)

175 BT Hard Harp (2018)
172 Soft Ion (2011)
175 Soft Wizard (2018)
172 Soft Wizard (2013)
175 Organic Wizards (2015)

In addition, I've been putting with the pair of Firm Wizards instead of the Organics whenever I'm playing casually.

I threw league tonight, here's how my bag looked:

175 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
172 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizards (2)

I'll probably rock this setup for a while.

I threw league tonight, here's how my bag looked:

175 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
172 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizards (2)

I'll probably rock this setup for a while.

Good bag. :thmbup:

I played Brookings league tonight with the same bag I listed above. Got off to a bang, my first shot (Soft Wizard) hit all the chains but sadly splashed out. I've been working my Wizards off the tee alot lately. The rest of the doubles round wasn't all that memorable, but I shot a personal best afterwards during singles. Sidewinders are getting ridiculously long. About 320 or so consistently and more occasionally, I had one measured at 367 the other day. The Wraith is also getting longer. I keep driving the 388 foot hole and parked another hole for the first time during doubles and the repeated it again on the singles round. Speaking of the Wraith, it is currently lost, I foolishly played into darkness trying to squeeze in a third round of 18. I have no doubt I'll find it tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

I played 36 holes yesterday. Not my best golf but had some fun playing practice rounds at Okoboji.

The TeeBird made its triumphant return to my bag. I put the 167 X-Out Champ TeeBird I've had for a while back in. It is long and glidey but seemed to have some fade when I got the angles right. Its really nice to have in the bag and honestly I can't believe I played without one for as long as I did.

I was having trouble getting my GStar Sidewinder to finish left. Even on a pretty good hyzer, it would only flip flat. That was definitely part of my struggle, I'm used to getting a small fade at the end of the flight. Probably time to start another one. My driver section is getting cluttered, but I know when to throw them.

I played 49 holes yesterday and another 60 today. With school, I haven't been able to play nearly as much this year as the last couple years. I felt like getting some new blood in there. The 172 Sidewinder was a pickup from GGGT earlier this year, felt it might be good to start working a new Star into the rotation. Decided to throw one of my Nikko Wizards and I was really pleased with it. Same Wizard flight, great grip and hand feel. I used it as a thrower. My KC Pro Roc was lost in a tree at dusk, but I should be able to recover it. I don't really like the X-Out Champ TeeBird that I added in the last update. I still want a Champion TeeBird in there though, I just need to settle on one. The GStar Sidewinder has been fine, I didn't need another one in the bag just yet.

175 4x Star Destroyer

175 12x Champ Firebird
175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
172 Star Sidewinder
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

174 Nikko Wizard
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
176 Firm Wizards (2)

I got in another 43 yesterday. I found the TeeBird I was looking for, but it turns out it wasn't a Champion. I put in an AJ Star TeeBird from my tournament winnings last year. Pretty much exactly the hand feel and grip I was looking for. I'm pretty confidant that this is the TeeBird that I've been looking for since I lost my main thrower back in 2017. I'm sure I'll add a Champion again, but in the meantime, the Thunderbird kinda covers the beefy TeeBird role anyway.

I think the next time out, I'll try the old 168 X-Out Medium Wizard from 2011.

I played with a slightly more simplified version last night.

175 4x Star Destroyer

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder
170 AJ Star TeeBird

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
176 Firm Wizards (2)

Your bag looks really solid, It has little bit of everything, but not much overlap with different molds. According to your previous post you only have one 4x mcBeth Destroyer?

I guess you are throwing rollers with the two 167 sidewinders? Or just turnovers? I have 175 star one and it turns somewhat but holds the annie.

Your short game discs look pretty good, only two molds with different plastics, I guess you have a beat-it straight Roc right?

Last edited:
Your bag looks really solid, It has little bit of everything. I guess you have 4 destroyers, rather than having one Paul McBeth 4x destroyer.

I guess you are throwing rollers with the two 167 sidewinders? Or just turnovers? I have 175 star one and it turns somewhat but holds the annie.

Your short game discs look pretty good, only two molds with different plastics, I guess you have a beat-it straight Roc right?

The Destroyer is a McBeth, I only have one. I don't have the arm speed for Destroyers, but it is useful for skips, wind fighting, OH shots, and OS utility.

The Sidewinders are my main drivers actually. I like to throw them on hyzer-flips. 167 is a weight I can get up to speed, throw on a variety of different routes and get distance with.

The KC Pro Roc is definitely beat straight. Its been my main midrange for 4 seasons and it was used when it came to me.

The Destroyer is a McBeth, I only have one. I don't have the arm speed for Destroyers, but it is useful for skips, wind fighting, OH shots, and OS utility.

The Sidewinders are my main drivers actually. I like to throw them on hyzer-flips. 167 is a weight I can get up to speed, throw on a variety of different routes and get distance with.

The KC Pro Roc is definitely beat straight. Its been my main midrange for 4 seasons and it was used when it came to me.

Oh I see, I have similar feelings about those discs. Destroyer is definetly too fast for me. I have similar purpose for sidewinder, it's straight to understable for me, but don't have to fear it flipping too much unless it's a headwind.

I played 18 holes at my home course for the first time since last September yesterday (all the baskets were back in). Tacked on another 9 at Spencer which was kinda overgrown for my taste, but first round of the year there as well. Felt great. Played league at a farm course, had an absolute blast. Didn't play at the top of my game, but I had my moments once I got the pin locations figured out. Helped take down the doubles round after though.

I threw a full tournament version of my bag. I used every disc at league except the Roc3, TeeBird, and my fresh FAF Champ Firebird.

167 4x Star Destroyer- skips, OH, wind, OS utility
154 Starlite Wraith- open distance

175 12x Champ Firebird- more OS FH, seasoning
175 2018 Sexton Firebird- main FH disc
167 12x Champ Firebird- BH Firebird, OS utility
172 4x Champ Thunderbird- more glide than my beat Firebird, less dumpy fade
171 5x Champ Valkyrie- distance, more stable than the Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder- main BH driver, hitting gaps, etc
167 Star Sidewinder- distance, more turn than the GStar
170 AJ Star TeeBird- more stable than Sidewinder/Valk but shorter, seasoning

176 2x Champ Roc3- more stable than KC
176 12x KC Pro Roc- main midrange

175 BT Hard Harp- FH approaches
175 Soft Wizard- approaches, drives
172 Soft Wizard- more turn, glide than the other Soft
176 Organic Wizards (2)- main putters

Also realized at some point I mistakenly put the Destroyer I've been using as a max weight and as I tend to copy/paste my list it got repeated a number of times. Its the same 167 Star Destroyer I've been using since last year.

My semester is winding down so I'm heading off to spend the holiday weekend with family. I'll be playing at a new course (to me) at Breezy Point at the least. Happy 4th everyone!

Played 102 holes at Breezy Point during my time in the area. Absolute little gem of a woods course. I can't think of a course I'd rather play. Nice technical wooded lines, but not unfair. Elevation. Well maintained. I'm not much of a reviewer, but I'm going to submit a review on this one. I threw a simplified woods bag.

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder
170 AJ Star TeeBird

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
176 Firm Wizards (2)

The workhorses were the KC Pro Roc and the more beat 172 Soft Wizard. I tend to prefer hyzer lines, but I was developing solid rapport with those two on flat releases that gently turned throughout the flight. My knowledge of nose angles has increased since the last time I've attempted lines like that.

I traveled to the Sioux City area today and threw 54 unique holes, including 3 new courses. I carried the full version of my bag, but didn't end up using the Valkyrie or the new Champ Firebird. The highlight was parking a 440 ft hole with the Starlite Wraith, playing the elevation the whole way. The GStar Sidewinder was my go to all day, but the bag feels pretty fleshed out and cohesive at this point.

I'm playing in the Twin Cities this week. Didn't get off to the best start, lost my Roc3 to a mower on the first throw of the day. I've got another to replace it at home, but it's tough to lose the one you've been working on for four years. Here's the the bag I brought:

167 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder
170 AJ Star TeeBird

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
176 Firm Wizards (2)

I'm playing in the Twin Cities this week. Didn't get off to the best start, lost my Roc3 to a mower on the first throw of the day. I've got another to replace it at home, but it's tough to lose the one you've been working on for four years. Here's the the bag I brought:

167 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder
170 AJ Star TeeBird

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
176 Firm Wizards (2)

Sorry to hear you lost your Roc3. :(

Is your Harp fresh? Or is it getting some seasoning on it?

It came to me used. This is the second year it's been in the bag. It's worked in but I wouldn't say the flight has changed any. It gets used pretty lightly, mainly just forehand upshots. Plenty of hefty fade to it.

I just got back from another trip to the Twin Cities, this one a dedicated disc golf trip. We played unique 126 holes over two days at Bethel, Acorn, Hansen, Lakewood, Oakwood, The Valley, and Bryant Lake. I played my best at Bethel and Hansen. By the time we got to Bryant Lake, I didn't have much left in the tank. I played incredibly at times, especially my putting. But I also had to scramble many times and felt humbled by the courses. I tried to persevere and shake off big numbers quickly.

I added the 2015 Sexton Firebird back into the bag a few days prior to the trip. I threw every disc in the bag except it. There were at least a half dozen throws where I missed the Champ Valkyrie that I'd thrown all last year and this spring, it will be back in the bag going forward.

I putted lights out last week at league with the Organics and I've dropped the Firms from the bag in any form since then. The difference with the Organics is just night and day. Suddenly, I'm back to hitting at a much better clip and hitting longer shots just like I was last year.

Disc selection wise, I leaned on my workhorses. The GStar Sidewinder was by far my most thrown disc and I used it on everything from distance to gap shots to tight wooded tunnels. I know my game and I just need to stick to my plan. I tended to pay the price when I tried something different.

167 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 2018 Sexton Firebird
175 2015 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
172 4x Champ Thunderbird
167 Star Sidewinder
167 GStar Sidewinder
170 AJ Star TeeBird

180 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp