• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket questions

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
b8b8acfe.jpg

So I just built my 9th basket yesterday. I used flat stock instead of round rod because it's easier to work with and cheaper. I primed them and painted them neon orange. My questions are;
1) Do you think it will damage my discs more than round rod?
2) It fells like its missing something, ideas?
3)a) Any idea how to get them pdga approved?
B) do all baskets have to be approved for a disc golf tournament?
4) Why don't they paint all baskets instead of galvanizing?
5) Any lighting ideas? Don't want to run electric to all baskets.
6) Are they as pimp as I feel like they are?:D

1. More than likely.... have you seen what a flat number plate can do to a disc? But.... it looks awesome.... just use champ rhynos to putt with!

2. Flag on top... or a number sign..... or some kind of a topper.

3. I have no idea.

4. Painting would require maintenance?

5. Some type of industrial glow in the dark paint.... since you are painting them anyway.

6. Pimptastic! Congrats on your own 9-holer.... awesome stuff!

b8b8acfe.jpg

So I just built my 9th basket yesterday. I used flat stock instead of round rod because it's easier to work with and cheaper. I primed them and painted them neon orange. My questions are;
1) Do you think it will damage my discs more than round rod?
2) It fells like its missing something, ideas?
3)a) Any idea how to get them pdga approved?
B) do all baskets have to be approved for a disc golf tournament?
4) Why don't they paint all baskets instead of galvanizing?
5) Any lighting ideas? Don't want to run electric to all baskets.
6) Are they as pimp as I feel like they are?:D

1. May damage discs.
2. Needs a top band.
3. a. Contact the PDGA.
b. Sanctioned events, yes.
4. Most baskets are powder coated.
5. Solar powered LEDs.
6. No.

Solar powered LEDs are a great idea! And who crapped in your Cheerios this morning? Of course they are pimp. I made them and I'm registered with the organization that decides what is in fact pimp. J/k. There is no such thing but if there was I would be the CEO. If you don't like them then what should I change?

1. More than likely.... have you seen what a flat number plate can do to a disc? But.... it looks awesome.... just use champ rhynos to putt with!

2. Flag on top... or a number sign..... or some kind of a topper.

3. I have no idea.

4. Painting would require maintenance?

5. Some type of industrial glow in the dark paint.... since you are painting them anyway.

6. Pimptastic! Congrats on your own 9-holer.... awesome stuff!
Thanks! Paint will fade after a time but powder coating/galvanizing is stupid high. For the home course paint works cause its easy to repaint but I get that for a public course other options would be better.

You might try using the rhino liner type paint to cut down on the damage done to discs. Also might try to round off the edges with a grinder a bit.

They're pretty slick, but if you're going to use hot rolled steel you should clean of that scale before you weld. A little more effort, much better results.

I cleaned off most the rust but it was getting towards 7 pm(12 hour day) and I was beat down. Most of the baskets were made out of new steel but I was running out and grabbed some in the yard to finish. It was hot and I couldn't use a fan cause I was using a mig. Needless to say the the welding got worse as the day went. I'll get a pic up once they are in and painted.

They look great, but if you have access to some 1 1/2" flac stock for the top outside band, and weld the chain on the inside of that, I think it would improve the look a bit, and maybe protect the disc for those of us who putt high. But again, nice job.

That's a great idea to weld the chain on the inside. Have no idea why I didn't do that. I was going to do the thicker edge but I really hate the chastity belt. I always hit that damn thing. Should have welded them on the inside!! Stupid things you don't think about.

How much does one of those cost you?

Just materials was about 3-400 bucks for all 9.(not including weld equipment) But it's very labor intensive. Maybe 4 days of cutting, bending, welding, and painting for all of them. By myself maybe 6 days for all 9.

Haven't even thought about selling them. I would have to think about it. Just a shoot in the dark but maybe 200 bucks. You can find cheaper portable baskets but not permanent. That's not including shipping and probably not the pole. You can buy the pole for 10 dollars at the home depot because the shipping might go up a lot on something 6 feet long. The most expensive part is the chain. I think it's a dollar a foot. I'm not trying to screw anybody it would just be hard to build some of these every weekend for nothing. It is pretty sweet to have your own course though.

My first three I already had the chain for so the add at least 150 to the 400. I guess it would cost me about 75 just in materials per basket.

f5662049.jpg

Got them painted. Now to put them up. Gonna maybe try to put either a glow in the dark coating or those solar powered lanterns on them. I'll get some pics up when they are up.

Thank you! Still trying to figure out a topper though. With the gothic look I may put spikes on them. Lol maybe just a number.