• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaded Understable Driver?

Qikly

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Hey folks!

I'm currently throwing Rivers in my stable/understable slot, but I'm not convinced that they're the solution there. Maybe things'll change once I beat my GLs in a bit more, but for the moment, I still have to fight to turn them over (not always successfully, at that). They're a nice mold; I'm just not sure if they're what I need.

Beyond their stability, I've also begun to think about how different they feel from mainstays in my bag - namely, Cyclones, Pains, and Comets, all of which are beaded. While I'm not completely against throwing discs with different feels, I was wondering if there are any understable discs out there that are beaded, and feel closer to what I'm used to with the other discs I named. Any suggestions?

As an afterthought, I can't wait for Westside's Underworld to come out (whether or not it's beaded, it'll be nice to have a 7-speed driver with that (supposed) level of understability).

Edit to add: I'd like to limit the discussion to fairway drivers, since I'm still a newbie.

I appreciate the input, but the Leo is definitely not beaded, unless I'm totally missing something. I actually find it a hard mold to grip because of how unbeaded it is. And unfortunately, I've never enjoyed the flight, either. Shame, too, as on paper, it does sound exactly what I'd like!

I'd say at least moderately understable - definitely more US than my 162 GL River is, which has some-but-not-a-ton of mileage on it, if that helps. I'd like to get an easy turnover drive with minimal fade on the end when thrown flat - basically, a longer Comet.

(Yes, I know Comets aren't technically US, but I get a nice slow turnover with them when thrown flat, even on a pretty clean release).

Right now, that kind of flight seems darn near mythical for me. I've tried Leos and disliked them. Beat base plastics - TM Rivers, D Cyclones, etc - don't hold the sweat spot for me nearly enough to seem reliable IMHO.

Beat base plastics - TM Rivers, D Cyclones, etc - don't hold the sweat spot for me nearly enough to seem reliable IMHO.

Hehe. Sweat spot. Anyway, I think this might be your best option. Most beaded drivers are overstable. Have you tried a Cheetah? I don't remember, but I think it has a bead. Have you tried beating in a Teebird? People swear by it...

Idk if the xpress has a bead.... but it could be what you're looking for.

Or Even the Glide (but it has a funky grip I wouldn't recommend it lol)

Hehe. Sweat spot. Anyway, I think this might be your best option. Most beaded drivers are overstable. Have you tried a Cheetah? I don't remember, but I think it has a bead. Have you tried beating in a Teebird? People swear by it...

Or a gazelle :D I love my beat up gazelle lol

have you tried a TD?

Nope! I've heard good things. My only concern would be that they're too fast for me - I max out between 275 and 300 with my fairway drivers.

Ugh - and to think, I go out of my way to avoid typical internet misspellings. I'll chalk it up to waking at 6.30 am and working all day. :p

I was "afraid" that beaded was generally an OS thing. Cheetahs are very nice, it's just the finickiness of base plastic that keeps me away from them. I suppose I could always try something from the factory store, but I like my drivers in the mid-160s.

Basically, if it comes down to beating something in, I would stick with the Rivers, since I already have them and are learning them. Although I haven't thrown a Teebird - if it's beaded, it might be worth looking into beating in a Star.

Idk if the xpress has a bead.... but it could be what you're looking for.

Or Even the Glide (but it has a funky grip I wouldn't recommend it lol)

Or a gazelle :D I love my beat up gazelle lol

I know nothing about the Xpress, and will definitely look into it. Thanks for recommending it!

I don't know of many beaded discs that are going to be understable. The bead adds drag, which slows the disc down and tends to make it more stable in the low speed portion of the flight. Plus, not many drivers have what I would consider a true bead, either. (I also would contend that the Pain does not have a bead, too.)

It's not beaded, but a light Roadrunner in Star plastic will do the trick for you, even if it is a little faster than the River. Or, throw the River into a lot of trees.

In all honesty. I'd suggest working in a river or leopard for this shot. I used to hate leopards... then I learned how to throw em. It was a magical experience

I don't know of many beaded discs that are going to be understable. The bead adds drag, which slows the disc down and tends to make it more stable in the low speed portion of the flight.

Thanks, that's very helpful; I'm not very knowledgeable on the relationship between mold shape and flight at this point in time. I've got a lot to learn!

(I also would contend that the Pain does not have a bead, too.)

True, but it comes to a sharp and defined enough point underneath that facilitates my grip in the same way that a bead does.

It's not beaded, but a light Roadrunner in Star plastic will do the trick for you, even if it is a little faster than the River. Or, throw the River into a lot of trees.

Will check it out. I've been thinking lately that a RR or SW might be the next direction to go in.

Thanks, that's very helpful; I'm not very knowledgeable on the relationship between mold shape and flight at this point in time. I've got a lot to learn!

True, but it comes to a sharp and defined enough point underneath that facilitates my grip in the same way that a bead does.

Will check it out. I've been thinking lately that a RR or SW might be the next direction to go in.

For what it's worth, I never clicked well with the Sidewinder in either DX or Champ plastic. The Champ was too stable out of the box to turnover. The Roadrunner was love at first toss. The only reason it is out of the bag now is because I am trying to disc down speed-wise for a bit, but it is not much faster than your River.

I'd say cheetah has a much different feel than a leopard and in dx it should be understable enough.

Not many drivers (fairway or otherwise) have a bead. I would recommend at least trying a teebird if you haven't (lighter weight for the line you're looking for). Also, the Viper has a bead and is kind of a step between a mid and a driver that might work for you. Also, my personal favorite understable driver is a valkyrie. Very understable and controllable in the right hands, and it sounds like you throw smooth. I know I'm throwing all Innova out there, but that's all I know really. No blind loyalty, just too much to keep up with otherwise and my bag is pretty set.

Not many drivers (fairway or otherwise) have a bead. I would recommend at least trying a teebird if you haven't (lighter weight for the line you're looking for). Also, the Viper has a bead and is kind of a step between a mid and a driver that might work for you. Also, my personal favorite understable driver is a valkyrie. Very understable and controllable in the right hands, and it sounds like you throw smooth. I know I'm throwing all Innova out there, but that's all I know really. No blind loyalty, just too much to keep up with otherwise and my bag is pretty set.

viper?:confused: