• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast - old vs new mold

Qstick333

Birdie Member
I know there have been past threads on this but I can't seem to get the search words correct...

What's the difference between the old mold and the new mold....although I think the old mold might be a new mold that duplicates an old mold...lol

I was browsing discs today and noticed the Beast listed as old mold or new mold...

So the old beast mold (now called the beast-x) was originally changed to be more understable because it's flight closely resembled the orc. The beast-x wing has more of a concave iirc, when compared to the retooled beast.

I'm a big fan of the beast. I started throwing the new mold as one of my first distance drivers. I now throw Wraiths, but I keep a new mold beast in the bag for as a long distance roller/tailwind driver.

The old mold beast flies just like my stable Wraiths, just slightly slower. They're a great option for folks who struggle with the 12+ speed discs but enjoy the X, 5, -1, 3 flight.

Thanks for the feedback. So the Beast-X (old mold) is more stable then the new mold. Interesting.

Anything labelled Beast should be considered then new mold and Beast X, Original, old mold, etc... are considered the more stable counterpart?

The newest stuff they finally have labelled clearly. When the new old mold first released all the discs got the same stamp. Now they have a new dx and champ stamp for beast-x.

For what it's worth, these new old molds in champ fly almost identically to an old pearly orc. Newer orcs seem way more overstable. So I finally have production backups available for my orcs!

The newest stuff they finally have labelled clearly. When the new old mold first released all the discs got the same stamp. Now they have a new dx and champ stamp for beast-x.

For what it's worth, these new old molds in champ fly almost identically to an old pearly orc. Newer orcs seem way more overstable. So I finally have production backups available for my orcs!

Yeah. Our Academy still has both types with same stamp. You have to either eyeball or feel the rim to know which one is which.

You should be able to easily tell the difference between the two molds side by side, and once you have seen them side by side you should easily be able to tell the difference without comparison. Completely different rim shapes.

Beast-X is an amazing amazing disc, and the current Pro and champ blends are coming out very nice. I would buy a stack.

picked up a 172 dx beast at walmart the other day just for fun...seems like these are new "old" molds as it was not flippy at all...straight..nice s curve in small breeze....went almost as far as my destroyers.....can see this breaking in to a great downwind or shorter driver

picked up a 172 dx beast at walmart the other day just for fun...seems like these are new "old" molds as it was not flippy at all...straight..nice s curve in small breeze....went almost as far as my destroyers.....can see this breaking in to a great downwind or shorter driver

Beast X = concave wing
Beast L = straight wing

IMO the Beast X is a far better disc. Beast L is clunky and flies like a sloppy Sidewinder. Beast X flies almost like an Orc but with less dumpy fade and better distance.

Well considering the mold is like a Valkyrie in the old mold, the other is like a Sidewinder/Road Runner depending on the weight.

Old Proline Beasts are amazing.
I got tired of trying to chase them down after I lost my favorite in the drink and moved on to other discs, but Beasts were an early staple of disc golf for a lot of us old Gen Xers.

im realy liking the 172 dx i got for fun.....havent hit anything...straight ..little s turn..almost as long as my faster drivers...coukd play a round with that an aviar and a roc3...and do anythin i want 400 and in..even forehand if hyzered(350)..a real old school kick when i crank a dx beast past people

Beast X = concave wing
Beast L = straight wing

IMO the Beast X is a far better disc. Beast L is clunky and flies like a sloppy Sidewinder. Beast X flies almost like an Orc but with less dumpy fade and better distance.

i found a dx beast lying in my water disc stack

threw it and thought it was a beast x but turns out i had that sloppy sidewinder type flight that was just ugly and looked like it was flying in a headwind but there was minimal wind

beast x are pretty solid and under rated

beast l are pretty terrible

Old Proline Beasts are amazing.
I got tired of trying to chase them down after I lost my favorite in the drink and moved on to other discs, but Beasts were an early staple of disc golf for a lot of us old Gen Xers.

And early Millennial people starting in late 1990's and early 2000's. I just do not like the deep rim, not wing, Rim as in how deep the disc is, otherwise the I know the L rim stink that came out about the time the Wraith came out maybe a year before. The other similar Staple was the Valkyrie when the L wings came out, people did not want to have to search for the good wing Beasts in stores, Good wing beast flew like a Viking/OS flat top Valkyrie.

i found a dx beast lying in my water disc stack

threw it and thought it was a beast x but turns out i had that sloppy sidewinder type flight that was just ugly and looked like it was flying in a headwind but there was minimal wind

beast x are pretty solid and under rated

beast l are pretty terrible

They really are. I was a fairly avid Beast thrower before Innova switched to the L mold. I never liked the Beast L.... at all. They flip all over the place and aren't steerable.

That was one mold Innova needlessly messed up. Champion Beast Xs were some of the best drivers available during my early days of DG (2003ish). The Beast (L) is still very popular today, but most people who throw them don't even know how much better the mold used to be.