• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast vs. Archon

I would love to hear this.. I love beasts and Im really excited to try the Archon.. I haven't been real excited for any of the new Innova stuff until this disc.

I acctually carry both in my bag and they have there uses. Before i got the archon the beast was my main distance driver now i throw the beast on certain holes that i know i can park with it. They file pretty similar in my opinion obviously the archon is faster. From what ive noticed it is a little bit more stable also so doing and S-curve with it is quite easy and if you let it rip straight it has a fair amount of fade a little more then a beast. But i will always have at least one of each in my bag

I have a pretty beat in beast that I use quite a bit. It is my disc I use to turn left (rhbh) and not come back. Never turns into a roller and has lots of uses for me. I have a Champ CFR Am worlds archon that turns right a little and %90 of the time comes back left in the fade. Maybe when it beats in more it will fly more like my beast but for now 2 different discs that have two different purposes in my bag.

I have a pretty beat in beast that I use quite a bit. It is my disc I use to turn left (rhbh) and not come back. Never turns into a roller and has lots of uses for me. I have a Champ CFR Am worlds archon that turns right a little and %90 of the time comes back left in the fade. Maybe when it beats in more it will fly more like my beast but for now 2 different discs that have two different purposes in my bag.

Once a disc starts "Beating in" it should start flying to the right and not coming back when thrown RightHandBackHand. Either you got your hand wrong, the style wrong, or the way it turns wrong, or there is something truly weird goin on (Beast should be acting a little more understable than the Archon).

Welcome to the site :)

Once a disc starts "Beating in" it should start flying to the right and not coming back when thrown RightHandBackHand. Either you got your hand wrong, the style wrong, or the way it turns wrong, or there is something truly weird goin on (Beast should be acting a little more understable than the Archon).

Welcome to the site :)

seems to me he just typed the wrong word

I bought a Star Archon to replace my Champ Beast because my Beast seemed too flippy. Well, after breaking the Archon in, it seems almost as flippy. It is good for hyzer flips and turnovers but doesn't seem that much different than the Beast. But then again my Champ Leopard seems to fly the same as both of these as well, so I may not be the best person to ask.

The biggest difference is the feel. It's rim is 2.3cm wide compared to the Beast's 2.0cm. It's rim is even wider than 'bigger' discs like the Wraith (2.1cm) and Destroyer (2.2cm).

I bought a Star Archon to replace my Champ Beast because my Beast seemed too flippy. Well, after breaking the Archon in, it seems almost as flippy. It is good for hyzer flips and turnovers but doesn't seem that much different than the Beast. But then again my Champ Leopard seems to fly the same as both of these as well, so I may not be the best person to ask.

The biggest difference is the feel. It's rim is 2.3cm wide compared to the Beast's 2.0cm. It's rim is even wider than 'bigger' discs like the Wraith (2.1cm) and Destroyer (2.2cm).

How did you already break in a disc that was just released a few weeks ago???

When the Beast first came out it was a game changer for me,..long turnover headwind shots! They've since changed the mold (less over-stable/more glide)! Old mold Beast's can still be found though, i have some Worlds biggest disc golf weekend (anyone remember that?) & old mold fly dyes, all in pearly plastic! I still use a Beast, but it's the only new mold i will use because it's gummy champion! I'm now loving the Archon because it's a easier to throw Wraith (IMHO) with more glide.

When the Beast first came out it was a game changer for me,..long turnover headwind shots! They've since changed the mold (less over-stable/more glide)! Old mold Beast's can still be found though, i have some Worlds biggest disc golf weekend (anyone remember that?) & old mold fly dyes, all in pearly plastic! I still use a Beast, but it's the only new mold i will use because it's gummy champion! I'm now loving the Archon because it's a easier to throw Wraith (IMHO) with more glide.

i was waiting for someone to point out there are 2 molds for the beast....old mold is the best.....been using it for almost 6 yrs

Hmmm, not sure I'm tracking with many of the comments on this thread about the 'similarity' of the Beast and the Archon. I find the Beast to be way to flippy to be useful to me (so I don't even throw it) BUT the Archon is right up my alley. IMO the Archon fly's more like my beat in star Wraith than it does any Beast I've every thrown. My Archon is a 173g Proto Star if that makes any difference??
For what it's worth, I throw my Archon 420' and it fly's like a dream with a perfect flip/turn/and fade...it's a beauty of a disc. Not many discs that I've fallen immediately in love w/ but the Archon had me at hello!

How did you already break in a disc that was just released a few weeks ago???

I didn't intentionally abuse it or anything. I was fairly flippy out of the box, which you would expect from a disc with -2 turn (except for the speed 13's). I've use it a lot over the past two weeks and it seems to have lost some of it's stability.

But my hyzer flip drives with my Leopard, Beast, and Archon, have been very inconsistent with some being awesome and some turning and burning. So I'm going trying to slow things down and go back to Tbird/Leopard combo for all drives until I get more consistent results.

From what I've heard the Archon is a bit more understable than a Valk and that its better described as a longer faster Sidewinder. If you're looking for a longer faster Valk tho I reccomend Pro Wraiths.

From what I've heard the Archon is a bit more understable than a Valk and that its better described as a longer faster Sidewinder. If you're looking for a longer faster Valk tho I reccomend Pro Wraiths.

I thought that was a Vulcan and the Archon was a "Wraith SS"?

Just wondering if anyone has thought of mentioning how to throw both the discs in question.

For those saying a beast is "too flippy" for them, I'm disheartened in the fact that they haven't played with the variable that both Valks and Beasts LOVE: height. With a lot of distance drivers like wraiths, destroyers, bosses, *cough*APE*cough*, you generally are playing on the speed/stability of the disc, and often throw them fairly to keep them in check. Valks, Beasts, and Archons, IMO, require very different lines.

It seems to me that with these discs, you are doing a bit more of slight hyze-flips with height. That's where they shine. If I throw my Archon like I throw a Destroyer, it ends up being a speed 11 Roadrunner. If I give it maybe 10 more feet, and keep the nose down, it's outright throwing farther than my farthest discs right now. The only problem I feel is that I haven't quite figured it out yet, and it is quite a bit more sensitive than said Destroyer.

Is this correct? I thought it was speed 11, which would mean 2.1cm rim? If it's 2.3 wouldn't that make it a vulcan?

I found a new Champ Archon to a bit flippier than a moderately used Champ Beast.

Latest posts