• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beech Mountain, NC

Timmons is currently closed. We had a massive flood a couple of weeks ago that destroyed the bridges on the course. In addition to the course being unsafe, we're pulling the baskets and making some changes to the course while the city rebuilds the bridges.
Haven't been out to Easley in a while, but that course gets very little support from the city and often has some maintenance issues.

The two best in the upstate area are Central near Clemson and Shoally Creek/Va-Du-Mar in Spartanburg. Either of those are worth playing if you're driving past. I'd prefer either of them over Richmond Hills.

Grand Central Station is awesome. The best course in the upstate, and probably the second best one I've played in South Carolina (out of 48), right behind Stoney Hill.

As for Foothills, played it in May, and that course has been seriously neglected. All the money went into new ball fields, at the expense of the disc golf course. The best hole on the course - #6 - was ruined due to the work on the ball fields. I loved it when I first played it several years ago. Now, after playing it in May, I doubt I'll play it again in its current layout.

Thanks for the good tips for hiking as well. Shame you think I should pass on Morristown due to the extra drive. Morristown Kiwanis looks very cool from the few pix & videos I could find. Some cool rocks throughout, a mini Stoney Hill? I mixed it up a bit but will leave Morristown Kiwanis as a ? for now. May play it after Harmon Hills as 1) we will be about 1/2 was there 2) par 58, looks kind of easy after getting a butt kicking at Harmon Hills.

Monday 9/8 IDGC Jackson first.
Tues 9/9 Hippo + PK.
Wed 9/10 CK out of hotel, Drive to rental home Banner Elk, NC. Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC on the way.
PK is a pretty bland course. I'd play Patriots or Olmstead any day over PK.

PK, Fun for the ladies. Ego builder for me. An easy, more social play with friends after or between days at IDGC and Hippo.

Thanks for the good tips for hiking as well. Shame you think I should pass on Morristown due to the extra drive. Morristown Kiwanis looks very cool from the few pix & videos I could find. Some cool rocks throughout, a mini Stoney Hill? I mixed it up a bit but will leave Morristown Kiwanis as a ? for now. May play it after Harmon Hills as 1) we will be about 1/2 was there 2) par 58, looks kind of easy after getting a butt kicking at Harmon Hills.

Monday 9/8 IDGC Jackson first. Question: Are you playing all 3 courses in one day?

Tues 9/9 A new suggestion: skip Hippo + PK. Instead, go to Lake Russell in Elberton, GA. It has a TR rating of 4.21. I only played it once, in 2003, but I rated it 9.1 out of 10, which makes it one of my Top Favorites. (Of course, I've played many more courses since then, too.) Then go from there to Asheville. It will save you some driving, too.

Wed 9/10 CK out of hotel, Drive to rental home Banner Elk, NC. Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC on the way.
Thursday 9/11 Ashe County park, Jefferson, NC + Highland Hills in North Wilkesboro, NC.
Fri 9/12 Winged Deer in Johnson City, TN + Warriors Path state park in Kingsport, TN.
Sat 9/13- Scenic drive on Blueridge, Grandfather to Blowing Rock hikes
Sun 9/14- Scenic drive on Blueridge – Linville Gorge hikes.
Monday 9/15 Harmon Hills (must) + Morristown Kiwanis DGC in Morristown, TN? (2 hour drive).
Tues 9/16? (any encores, any missed or shorted on time?) pack up/clean cabin.
Wed 9/17 Check out of rental by 10:00am. Drive to Glen C. in Hickory, NC. check into hotel.
Thursday 9/18 – Charlotte, NC. Hornets Nest & R.L. Smith.
Friday 9/19- ck out of hotel. play Renny & Plantation Ruins. Drive back towards GA.
See my suggestion in your itinerary.

For comparison:
I rated PK 5 out of 10 (2.5 on DGCR), in 2002
and the old Hippodrome layout 8 out of 10 (4 on DGCR) in 2006