• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Beginner Discs

dbrodeanu

Bogey Member
Hello,

I recently got back into disc golf after 4-5 years of being away and decided that I would go the route of buying a disc golf starter set - I went with Innova and bought 2 packs. Since I had not played much when I first started I still considered myself a beginner and was told that they would be good as a way to get back into the game and work on technique. Now, my technique is still developing, but I have noticed a one thing with the starter set:

• The discs are over-stable as a way to help new players however, I am noticing that with the strength that I give them at times, they fly completely opposite of what it states on the disc. I have to tailor my strength too much to get them to fly just right, but a lot of times my throw is too strong and the disc either goes completely straight with no fade to the left or the disc just becomes too under-stable, which goes flying 50 ft. from the basket.

As I said, my technique can still improve, but I do my best to take my time each throw and follow through with the shot as is intended for the proper speed and flight. What I want to know is if I should use these still and get more comfortable with them and eventually get them to fly the way I need them too or if I should move up to heavier and better plastic discs now and not waste my time?

Just for reference, the discs that came in the Innova starter set are:

• Leopard
  • Shark
  • Aviar

All the discs are about 145-150g in weight.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers!

Anything that light will require a clean release to fly correctly.

Strongly prefer a max wt putter.

I've got one of those sharks. I am not a fan. I don't like the feel of it. Never thrown a leopard.

Nothing wrong with throwing those to really clean up form, but I would expect you to have to power down some for them to fly right.

There isn't anything wrong with those discs per se, but like stated above that light they will be finicky. You can stick with the leopard more than likely until it's gets beat up, but go ahead and get a heavier putter and maybe a fairway with similar attributes to the Leopard that is in a premium plastic as that when yours gets too beat up you have something to grow with you.

The Leopard will work for a while but once they beat in, they're fairly squirrely and useless unless you really finesse them.

Those Sharks can handle a bit of power. I can throw a fan grip standstill in the 200-250 foot range without turning it.

The Leopard will work for a while but once they beat in

It may happen sooner then later. I don't think the plastic on these discs are very high quality.

One skip on the sidewalk a few days ago took a nice chunk out of one of my Leopards :doh:

Do you like the feel of the discs? If you do, then I'd just recommend grabbing a Star or Champion version of each. Above 170g for the putter and mid, and something in the 165g-170g range for the Leo. Those will provide a good stable complement to your DX starter discs.

Do you like the feel of the discs?

No, not really a fan of the discs, but I knew getting them they wouldn't be the best discs.

I do have some discs from around 4-5 years ago that I used however, a lot of them were still out of my ability and technique to throw them. I could break them out at a later time and see how those discs, with my added strength, would fair this time around.

I may go with what txmxer mentioned and just continue to work on my technique with them and see if I can get a better handle on them. I suspect that it would be good practice to always be cautious of how I throw these discs so they do what I want them to, instead of being little turds and doing their own thing haha

Feel free to add suggestions to this, I will take all the advice I can get.

Really do want to take this sport and continue it on until I can not physically play it anymore.

No, not really a fan of the discs, but I knew getting them they wouldn't be the best discs.

I do have some discs from around 4-5 years ago that I used however, a lot of them were still out of my ability and technique to throw them. I could break them out at a later time and see how those discs, with my added strength, would fair this time around.

I may go with what txmxer mentioned and just continue to work on my technique with them and see if I can get a better handle on them. I suspect that it would be good practice to always be cautious of how I throw these discs so they do what I want them to, instead of being little turds and doing their own thing haha

Feel free to add suggestions to this, I will take all the advice I can get.

Really do want to take this sport and continue it on until I can not physically play it anymore.

Nothing wrong with throwing your older discs as well.

The error would be to think grabbing a 13 speed disc and expecting to throw 500' when you are throwing the Leo 200-300'. (just example numbers).

The error would be to think grabbing a 13 speed disc and expecting to throw 500'

Yeah, definitely not making that mistake again.

I do have an old Valkyrie G-Star distance driver (9 speed) I may try out.

Otherwise, I think I should tough it out a bit longer and work on the form. I do appreciate all the help as last time I just got into disc golf without really doing any research or having a place to ask these questions, so it is welcomed.

Will progress with these beginner discs for a few more weeks and beat them up some more.

A 150g dx leopard with a chunk taken out is going to be a liability.... a gstar valkyrie is definitely an improvement!

GStar Valk would probably be a good driver to work in. As mentioned before, a heavier putter would also help. I throw light discs in general, but you have to be a Jedi master to finesse a 150 class putter in a breeze.

Okay, I'll give the Valkyrie a shot tomorrow along with the one's that I have.

I may have exaggerated the chunk it took. It's noticeable to the touch, but it's not noticeable unless you flip the disc over. Still, it is enough that it created a small groove at the bottom that I catch sometimes on my hand however, it is what it is for such a well-priced, cheap disc set.

Thanks again, everyone!

I always recommend the innova factory store for new players. Dx discs are $6, and you get 20% of if you buy 10 or more and free shipping at $75 subtotal. So you can grab 13 discs and it ends up costing you about $60. Also, on Friday's you get an extra discs for free.

That Valkyrie is about as good an intro to wider-rim drivers as you'll find. If you don't like the floppiness of G* try one in pro.

That Valkyrie is about as good an intro to wider-rim drivers as you'll find.

I will be adding the Valkyrie to my bag for the next time I go along with 2 XD Putters @ 175g.

I'll still throw the beginner disc sets (Leopard, Shark and Aviar) just to continue to get a feel for them and learn the techniques better, but will keep a close eye on how well I do with the Valkyrie added to the bag (not sure on the weight, but I'd wager 170g+).

Excited to see how the Valkyrie does now that in the coming weeks.

Thanks, everyone!

Cheers!

One more vote for the Valk - when I first started playing they were my most found disc in ponds and the shoul. Lower grade Valks get wild and flippy quickly. The uninked ones were rethrown them into ponds and roughs.

GStar should be better. Left the Valk behind for years then picked up a new I-Dye Pro Valk, and wow, they are nice fliers for intermediate players like me. Pro used to be chalky and crap, now they are near Star in quality.

Good luck on your DG journey.