• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Best Gateway Driving Putter

Which is your favorite Gateway putter to drive with?

• Wizard

Votes: 76 79.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Voodoo

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Magic

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
What Gateway putters do you like driving with? Obviously they're all great, but which is your favorite?

Is this even a thread? Where's Streets!?!

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

The Wizard hands down as the numero uno. From fresh to beat, it's useful in it's entire lifespan.

Honorable mention - Magic. under stable wizard FLIGHT (not feel) out of the box. If you whine about it being "too flippy" learn some finesse game you dirty torque monkey.

2nd Honorable mention - the Shaman.

Why you hate the Chief?! :D It IS my driving Wizard. They pair up with my Warrior and Element well distance wise. But if I don't need quite the distance/if placement is more important, then out comes the Glow Wizards for drives and long upshots/approaches, love the way Wizards feel in any grip.

I love the Chief as a driving putter. Very predictable flight and the low profile feels great with a modified fan grip.

Aren't there three or four drastically different Chief molds? I have only thrown the flat low profile version.

No love for the Evolution Warlock? Great feel in the hand and floats like a dream.

Aren't there three or four drastically different Chief molds? I have only thrown the flat low profile version.

I'm pretty sure the first "Chief" was just a Wizard in some proto plastic blend or something. The second one I know nothing about, and then the third one is the current run, which is described as a Wizard with 1/4" taken out. But I'm not 100% sure and could be spreading lies! :cool:

If the Scale counts as a gateway putter then Wizard and Scale is the correct answer

I'm pretty sure the first "Chief" was just a Wizard in some proto plastic blend or something. The second one I know nothing about, and then the third one is the current run, which is described as a Wizard with 1/4" taken out. But I'm not 100% sure and could be spreading lies! :cool:

That sounds about right. I have the second run which is board flat (no shoulder) and low profile. It has a unique "minus" slant to the rim.

Why you hate the Chief?! :D It IS my driving Wizard. They pair up with my Warrior and Element well distance wise. But if I don't need quite the distance/if placement is more important, then out comes the Glow Wizards for drives and long upshots/approaches, love the way Wizards feel in any grip.

No hate. Just wouldn't be fair :)

The Chief and Shaman were designed to be easier to drive with (my feeling, anyway).

From what I've seen, the original Chief was the prototype for the Wizard, but the production Wizard was about 1/4" deeper than the original Chief. The new Chief is 1/4" shallower than the original Chief.

Proto: 1.5cm
Wizard: 1.8cm
Chief: 1.3cm

Latest posts