• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you enjoy the most - drives, approaches or putts?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've noticed my preference has changed as I've gotten older.

When I first started I was all about drives. That was by far my favorite part of each hole I played.

Often find upshots pretty boring, especially when there's few obstacles and I'm just getting up and down.

Early on I was a terrible putter, so I felt like I needed to park my tee shots to feel confident in getting the birdie.

These days I'm all about putting. It's my favorite part of the game by a long shot.

It's so satisfying having an off drive and driltling a 60' putt to save the birdie. In fact some days I go to the nearest course with a stack of Ions and just putt for an hour or two, I enjoy it that much.

Driving can hurt my arm sometimes if its long drive after long drive, and I have grip issues with my backhand sometimes. But I can putt for hours without any issues.

What about you? Which part is your favorite? Driving, approaching, or putting?

Weirdly, I'm fascinated by up shots and landing a disc on the right angle for maximum benefit. I feel like that's only just jumped on my radar in the past 12 months (of my 4 years of playing).

I don't throw a drive far enough to get time to admire it. :)

If I am playing a round on my own my favorite is definitely throwing a good drive. In any type of competitive play with others though I rarely care if I threw the best drive, my favorite moments will be hitting good putts.

Approaches have been my strength from when I first began playing. So throwing a good approach is just what I expect and I only ever feel more disappointed by throwing a poor one than pleased about throwing a good one.

Not throwing a bad drive.

Not throwing a bad upshot or scramble.

Not making a garbage putt.

In any finish, a great putt or throw in will always be most satisfying. A great drive or upshot only matters if you finish.

We would all love to drive 500!+, but if you 3 putt, it won't matter much.

I love shaping a shot off the tee, or figuring out a creative scramble but I have to say my absolute favorite is the second shot of a true multi shot par 4.

Hopefully I've done a decent job getting placement off the tee and the executing a a shot that is going to get strokes on a lot of people is a great feeling.

When my timing is on it would definitely be driving off the tee and fairway drives. However, my timing has really been off lately so it's frustrating.

A good drive is always more fun than a good putt. The putt makes the money but a well carved drive is the joy of throwing.

For me it means my form clicked together for a clean execution of the throw i wanted. I just wish it would fly forever. Ideally it's drive/putt and no approach.

I'd say that I get the most satisfaction from a well-executed approach shot. One that was good enough that I don't have to worry about my putt. :D

In the moment - I'd say they all hold very similar appeal. I love the flight of the disc off the tee, getting that full intended shape. I love the feeling of clawing back a stroke from the course when I'm in a tricky spot on the fairway. I love the sound of the chains, especially when the disc is right on the link.

But afterward, when I'm leaving the course... my entire mood, if the round was an effort to be competitive at all, is centered on my putting. If I had a great day off the tee and a poor day putting I'm going home frustrated with what I left on the course. If I had a piss-poor day off the tee and I was saving putts all over, even putts for bogey and double, I'm going to go home feeling great about the way I fought. Putting can take a hold of my mood more than any other part of the game, if I'm not careful.

I love driving on wooded holes with a defined line. I hate chuck and pray holes but if there is a window that you can pipe a fairway or mid through and end up on the green... It's an incredible feeling when you See the Line, Hit the Line.

One of my absolute favorite shots is a tight par 3 in the woods and just throwing a dead straight Glitch shot that floats through the gap. Other players struggling to torque their Destroyer on a FH flex through the same gap adds to my enjoyment... Lol.

Easily approach shots for me; trying to get as close as possible so par is almost guaranteed. My success rate isn't very good so far but every now & again I get one stone dead and it feels awesome.

My favorite thing about disc sports in general is watching a very slow disc spin and hover for long periods of time towards the basket. My Champion Zephyr only rounds and SuperClass in general are my favorites.