• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Holes, Period

......the hole is Stoney Hill #14 (Diamond layout). 714', tee's uphill through a natural archway, left across the hilltop with 2 large trees, and a horses in an OB pasture on the right, down a long open grassy slope with a single infuriating large tree in the center, bordered by treacherous woods with a creek imbedded in them, to the landing area, then dogleg left into the woods through a tight gap for the last 150', with OB (creeks and beyond on either side), to a basket precariously just short of where the creeks join, in a beautiful spot amidst huge beech trees and with a mountainous slope and boulders in the backdrop.

By the time you putt out, you've forgotten about the archway you teed off under. Even if your drive hit it.

Which isn't to nominate it as the best hole. Only to open the discussion to how much variety a single hole might contain and whether or not, like an entire course, such variety is integral to a really great hole.

Which brings me to a few thoughts on what makes a good or great hole. Not necessarily original thoughts:

* On a good hole, the player should stand on the tee with a mix of anticipation and anxiety. (Attributed to Harold Duvall, pretty sure he said it, not sure if he authored it).

* On a good hole, you should stand on the tee with considerable doubt as to what score you'll get. That doubt should be primarily dependent on your decisions and execution, not random chance or luck.

* A great hole should meet those criteria, and offer an unusual or even unique challenge.

* If it offers unusual or even unique features, too, so much the better. These may be coolness, such as a big downhill, or scenery, or some other aspect that goes more to aesthetics---including the beautiful flight of the disc---than scoring spread.

* Put it all together, and with any luck you're back to the first point, and one of those holes where you arrive with tremendous anticipation, to go with the anxiety.

Was wondering how this thread got revived... thanks!

Might as well add a few now that I look back
Future post coming.

So I will now talk about the best holes, period.

As far as for courses I have physically played:

10 at Jordan Creek. It is a long, steep uphill par 4 that gets rollaways like you're at DeLa.

15 at Nockamixon. This par 3 finished on the edge of a massive hillside. Don't airputt.

8 at Maple Hill. It's just a pond, get over it.

2 in the blue layout at Borderlands. This par 5 plays down a right downhill gap to an open fairway for a few hundred feet, then a right gap to another open fairway that tightens to the basket.

3 in the long position at Okeeheelee. While it is not a tight shot, the island green with parking lot OB will make you think about running it, unless your name is Jeremy Koling.

3 at Jet Stream. It is pond all the way with a huge uphill carry to the basket. Says 315, plays like 375.

10 at Tradewinds. Only because it is my only ace.

12a713df.jpg

Idlewild #11...still my favorite hole played.
49470fe6.jpg

44fe4775.jpg