• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best homemade baskets!!!

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Was thumbing through Youtube.com vids on disc golf driving and stumbled across this. I personally feel there is no other way to built a homemade basket after seeing this video. I even went to Lowe's and Wal-Mart to price check everything that I would need...easily out of the store for about 80 bucks. Everything else is quite crappy in comparison...

I hope this link to the video works. (someone let me know if it doesn't)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdts2FvC-Is

i will be using a bike rim for the top too because i have some junk bikes laying around

I tried one with a bike rim. I have seen them work well, but personally mine did not.

My favorite homemade basket only cost $11.00 to make. It is a collapsible light weight target basket that took nearly no time at all to make once we figured out what we were doing.

for pictures of homemade baskets check out: Unique and odd baskets

Attachments

• New%20Image.jpg
    New%20Image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 523
No, just no.

The guy used the F word in the video and lost me. Frolf should be banned for life.

Tim, how in the world can you allow this to happen?

Here is my basket.

Thanks for the heads-up on the profanity in the video Marty. I can live without it too. They may have the right to use the f-word, but I don't have to listen to it.

Thanks for the heads-up on the profanity in the video Marty. I can live without it too. They may have the right to use the f-word, but I don't have to listen to it.

:) I'm not sure if you're joking or you just didn't catch what Marty was referring to. Marty was referring to "frolf" as the f-word not the actual vulgarity.

Not bad at all. Just a couple thoughts here.

A used car tire of the right dimension works just fine for a basket "frame" and is really easy to cut. Pretty, it's not, though.

As far as the basket bottom being made out of plywood... anything that smooth will allow far more skip outs than a basket with any sort of "uneneven" surface if you drop a shot into the basket without catching a lot of chains. The baskets at Jumonville Glen have a plywood basket and they are slippery. (They also have really low rims which magnifies the problem a lot.) If you use this type of bottom for your basket, you may want to cut some dowel rods in half and attach them to the plywood to act like the "spokes" on a metal basket.

And if you happen to have any wheel-chair wheels lying around, they also work well for the top chain assembly.

:) I'm not sure if you're joking or you just didn't catch what Marty was referring to. Marty was referring to "frolf" as the f-word not the actual vulgarity.

I splattered my drink out of my nose. :clap:

This is the best response I have ever had. :hfive: Go frolf yourself!

I've looked through every page and pic guys, nothing really to my liking....not to knock the tire baskets or apple baskets and such... some are great. What I like about this idea is the L-bracket and thick hose concept. I don't know about the electrical tape idea he had,though....I think I would just add a few more L-brackets to close the big gaps.

( the reason this video was posted is because of the idea, not his verbiage. It's a good idea, again, the best I've seen, and not to be shunned because of some "preferred " term. This isn't the place to "get another post", so you can become some super-duper-tripple-ace-supreme-combo member ...or something.)

Last edited:
...i know that's right...with the skip thing you're talking about...but if you used the L-brackets on the top or the plywood instead of under it...it would give the basket ribbed on the inside bottom of the basket...and if using more L-brackets instead of his -- what i do think is dumb -- electrical tape idea...that gives you even more ribs .

...i know that's right...with the skip thing you're talking about...but if you used the L-brackets on the top or the plywood instead of under it...it would give the basket ribbed on the inside bottom of the basket...and if using more L-brackets instead of his -- what i do think is dumb -- electrical tape idea...that gives you even more ribs .

The tubes did look nice. But yeah, it'd be cool if there was a way other than the tape to hold them together. Maybe the bracket idea will work out. Keep us posted if you make one. I love the video and these basket threads. This site is where I got the ideas for mine, except the wheel-chair wheel was my own idea. :)

Last edited:
Have you ever thought of using pinched instead of welded chain? I've heard on line you can find the heavier weight pinched chain and it's a lot cheaper than the welded. Since the chain isn't supporting weight, the strength isn't critical, but the weight is.

Just curious,
Don

mine is done, pics to come soon!

Have you ever thought of using pinched instead of welded chain? I've heard on line you can find the heavier weight pinched chain and it's a lot cheaper than the welded. Since the chain isn't supporting weight, the strength isn't critical, but the weight is.

Just curious,
Don

I've seen 2nd sets of chain added to the baskets at Timberlink in PA that were the pinched chain. They were an inner set and seemed to help those formerly single chain baskets catch better.

My only concern, probably unfounded, would be about the "sharp" edges of the pinchrf chain possibly causing more damage to soft plastic. Not sure if it would be significant or not. Good thought man.

so here's my homemade basket, i will eventually want the basket to be wider. cost me 16$

Attachments

• homemade basket.jpg
    homemade basket.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 193

Latest posts