• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole Pro Basket

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I recently had the opportunity to try my first MVP basket.

For reference, I've owned two practice baskets in the past.

One was a single chain wall portable basket you can see in this video and the other is a Discatcher Traveler from Innova you can see here.

The Black Hole performed very well. The setup was a little different than the other baskets I've used, but it was simple enough I did not need to use the instruction manual.

First you set the base down, then you screw a pole into it. Next, you set the bottom of the cage on top of that pole, then screw a second pole on top of that. On the top of that pole is a cap you unscrew. You take that cap off, then set the upper cage + chains over the pole, then fasten the cap in place to secure the chains.

Setup takes about a minute. There are stakes you can hook on the base of the basket if you wish to set it up on a slope.

As far as putts go, I could not tell a difference between this basket and the Mach V's at the course I was at. It caught everything well, even putts I knew weren't perfect. Despite throwing some hard point blank putts and even some forehands, I didn't get any spit-outs.

It is heavier than the other portable baskets I've tried, so if weight is a primary consideration for you that's something to think about. I'd guess it weighs about 25-30lbs but I have not weighed mine yet. It wasn't so heavy that it was uncomfortable to prop up on a shoulder and carry 500' to a practice field.

I've yet to throw a good enough shot at it to hit chains from a distance, but when that day comes hopefully I am filming so we can see how well it catches field aces.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

This basket is amazing. I have had mine for 6 months and it is just perfect. I leave mine set up in my basement so I can putt in the winter months, and in the warmer months I can just walk it outside the basement door for outdoor putting. It is so durable and has never had a spit out for me. Great purchase.

Best transport

I've had a couple of Innova Diskcatchers for years and liked the ease of transport. But never real reliable. I like the looks of this, but was wondering if it comes with a carry case? If not, what do use to transport yours? Anything?

I've had a couple of Innova Diskcatchers for years and liked the ease of transport. But never real reliable. I like the looks of this, but was wondering if it comes with a carry case? If not, what do use to transport yours? Anything?

No case. Unless you use the box it ships in.
Everything basically breaks down to fit inside the basket, though the poles stick out a bit if I recall correctly. Never transported mine.

Felt like I was watching Blair Witch during the setup... got a little motion sickness. LOL!

Good little review Mike... if you're out there.

Is the Black Hole Pro, the Axiom Pro and the Discgolf UK Keep the same basket?
Anyone has some experiences?

Anyone leave a Black Hole catcher outdoors in the weather? MVP says not to, but is there any 1st hand experience?

I just helped a buddy set 14 Innova baskets for his private course, and he gave me a Black Hole. He bought a bunch of them, intending to use them as catchers on his course, until the directions said not to leave them outside permanently. I don't necessarily have space to keep it inside, and wanted to leave it in the yard.

Anyone leave a Black Hole catcher outdoors in the weather? MVP says not to, but is there any 1st hand experience?

I keep mine outside. Can't remember how long I have had it, but at least a few years now. Holding up just fine so far. Chains look great, but one of the weld joints on the cage has broken (mechanical/impact damage, not rust).

I had a cheap, single-chain "indoor" basket that remained usable outdoors for probably 10 years before it fell apart. I expect the Black Hole to rust and fall apart eventually, but so far I'm fine with how it has held up outdoors.

But of course YMMV.

I keep mine outside. Can't remember how long I have had it, but at least a few years now. Holding up just fine so far. Chains look great, but one of the weld joints on the cage has broken (mechanical/impact damage, not rust).

I had a cheap, single-chain "indoor" basket that remained usable outdoors for probably 10 years before it fell apart. I expect the Black Hole to rust and fall apart eventually, but so far I'm fine with how it has held up outdoors.

But of course YMMV.

Nice!

I just helped a buddy set 14 Innova baskets for his private course, and he gave me a Black Hole. He bought a bunch of them, intending to use them as catchers on his course, until the directions said not to leave them outside permanently. I don't necessarily have space to keep it inside, and wanted to leave it in the yard.

I had my basket outside for 3+ years and the thing is absolutely trashed now. So many welds have broken on the basket that discs slip through the cage now. I live in the south where we get a lot of rain. I've heard of people buying grill covers and throwing it on them after they're done for the day.

I've had my blackhole HDs outside for the last 4+ yrs or so in the Western NY elements all seasons and they have held up great.

I had my basket outside for 3+ years and the thing is absolutely trashed now. So many welds have broken on the basket that discs slip through the cage now. I live in the south where we get a lot of rain. I've heard of people buying grill covers and throwing it on them after they're done for the day.

It's rained 50% of days the last couple of months I've had the basket outside. I was thinking about the chain, and hadn't thought about structural welds. I will keep an eye out.