• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best max d driver for power throwers?

Kind of kicking myself for getting rid of the orange ESP force I found a while back. It went far but I didn't throw with enough power back then so it always faded strong and early. Came away with a pearly star xcal, about to go see what it can do.

Furthur said:
Frank Delicious said:
you should ask masterbeato or Aaron_D or Bradley Walker.

Aaron will say OLF, Beato will say Force, and Bradley will say Destroyer. Dave would go with a Boss. Not sure what MDR is rocking these days, but I bet a Boss or Destroyer.

What line do you like to throw for distance?

oh yeah I forgot about Dave and MDR.

Those are also all good choices. Also wasn't Bradley down with the wraith for a long while?

Frank Delicious said:
Furthur said:
Frank Delicious said:
you should ask masterbeato or Aaron_D or Bradley Walker.

Aaron will say OLF, Beato will say Force, and Bradley will say Destroyer. Dave would go with a Boss. Not sure what MDR is rocking these days, but I bet a Boss or Destroyer.

What line do you like to throw for distance?

oh yeah I forgot about Dave and MDR.

Those are also all good choices. Also wasn't Bradley down with the wraith for a long while?

He was, but he recently went to the Destroyer.

Boss is cool if you get one kinda flippy (light r-pro is a nice thought). Stable ones are ok but I have to throw it on a low line drive to keep it from nosing up and stalling. I still use a semi stable pro destroyer, but a ridiculous flippy star/champ boss is quite a sight to see on a big wraith looking s curve. I like to keep it to a straight, hyzer flip slight s curve shot for distance. I get the pro destroyer out to 480 or 90 on the straight golf s curve, but my star boss has been getting a bit flippy lately so that might take the cake eventually.

I'm gonna try the regular run r-pro bosses to see if I can get lazy man distance with a 160-165g, but I wanted to find a clear one. All I ever see are opaque.

Light star Bosses really are the way to go. They're the only Bosses worth throwing for Max D in my opinion, unless you're going to try to turn them and have them flex back, but I prefer the flat-out sweeping hyzer shot. I use my Bosses so I don't have to restrain my arm, I just throw with all the power I've got. Because of this, I've flipped every Champ Boss I've ever thrown, simply because I'm unwilling to take something off of my drive. I've thrown pink Z Forces, and while they do get out there, I feel like they never reach that point where they just glide like a 167 Star Boss does. Never thrown the NS Bosses, but if they're the same stability as the light stock ones, I'm sure they go forever, and get there in a hurry. The only problem I've had with the light *Boss is that its headwind stability suffers from being so light. I find myself having to switch to the Firebird in windy conditions and wishing I had a Champ XCal in my bag.

I don't get it. I throw my Orcs about 400' this year, down a little from last year. I use an excal for wind and hyzers and I own a Max. The max is a crazy disc. I have trouble imagining anyone that could throw it anything near straight. Throwing it as well as I can it hyzers hard and dies. The only use I have for it is out of the woods plow through crap and sliding shots I want to die. Do people really use it as a main control or max d driver?

Torg said:
I don't get it. I throw my Orcs about 400' this year, down a little from last year. I use an excal for wind and hyzers and I own a Max. The max is a crazy disc. I have trouble imagining anyone that could throw it anything near straight. Throwing it as well as I can it hyzers hard and dies. The only use I have for it is out of the woods plow through crap and sliding shots I want to die. Do people really use it as a main control or max d driver?
the max isn't max d driver to anyone, because it has zero glide. I can throw it on a straight line up to 420', hyzers 400ish. on a good day of course.

I dont throw the max either, but I felt it was a good recommendation based on what Mike C said about how he throws and what flight he wanted.

I prefer the Boss for Max D but I dont like the light overstable ones because the are to stable in calm conditions for what I like and I can not trust them in headwinds.

I personally like the Z Force the best for really hard throws becuase its an awesome discs and will take all the torque. I just dont feel that it would fit the "S" type flight Mike was looking for whereas I think the Max would have.

I'm curious about the max because it feels nice in the hand but when I was in the store it seemed a bit too close to my firebird in shape and feel.

The xcal I got is a beast, I love it! Very strong fade (max weight star plastic). It's the first disc I've thrown since being able to hit 400 where I don't have to power down. I can rip it as hard as I can and it simply won't anhyzer out. About to go play deis hill in Dover Ohio and throw further than I ever have, I know it.

This thing has opened up new lines forme because I can just throw over and past obstacles I used to have to s curve around.

Orange ESP Forces are a straight up:

GFF2911.jpg

The Pink Z-Forces are very good. Picked a couple of these up from our local league that has a sweet ghost stamp on them.

I traded my 167g pro destroyer for a heavier one in the same plastic and it's like night and day. I have a tough time getting it to fade out to the right on me, it flies nice and straight. It will compliment the more stable Excalibur well. Ive been driving more with my rhynos lately which is helping myform, and when going for max d I've been concentrating on throwing straight and flat, not upward at all. Discs rip so nice this way. I nearly deuced hole ten in canton today (660 foot hole!) using the new destroyer for a 450 ish drive then a dx teebird I traded for on the second shot. Sank my rhyno for an easy three, my first on that hole. I was proud of that series of shots, best I've done on that hole.

Latest posts