• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best new disc of 2010

I cant throw 400 feet. Then Nuke gets my vote because it feels great in my hand, its easy to control, and i can throw it farther with less effort then my destroyer. I got really intimidated with discs like the Boss , before i even threw it it just felt like alot in my hand. It still does actually, but the NUKE wins it all.

P.S. I didnt even hear about the other discs untill i joined this forum, this place is great thanks for all the help!

lulz

discs that came out this year:
MD2
TD
Hail Mary
Miracle
Wing & A Prayer
Fuse
Gamma Ray
Money
Fusion Genesis
Fusion Legacy
Flying Squirrel
Secret Weapon
Swan
River
Fluent
Mark
Vantage
Z-Nuke (retool)
Mission
Hurricane
DD2-Frenzy
Ascent
Boom
Kraken
Merc
Protégé
Tempest
Flow
Jokeri
King
Hornet
Wahoo
PD2-Chaos
Vulcan
Wedge
Vector

the only one of these i've thrown is the TD. and well it was just eh. there is a lot on this list that I don't think has even been mentioned anywhere.

WTF? Do we really need 36 new discs a year? Anyone "in the know" have any idea if any of these are actually making the companies money back on the R&D and production costs? I'm guessing z-Nuke, Ascent, River are, just because I hear great things about them but anyone walking around with a Jokeri, Fluent and Gamma Ray in their bags????

Those are the ones that have been pdga approved this year I believe. I wouldn't count them as actually "out" though until I see regular production runs cause I expect some just won't get there, and others like the King and Wedge are still being tested.

But go go Lat64's 2010 discs (River, Flow, Fuse), they're all great.

The Hornet is also everything I wanted the Wasp to be, so it'd get a vote too.

(Someone make a poll already!)

WTF? Do we really need 36 new discs a year? Anyone "in the know" have any idea if any of these are actually making the companies money back on the R&D and production costs? I'm guessing z-Nuke, Ascent, River are, just because I hear great things about them but anyone walking around with a Jokeri, Fluent and Gamma Ray in their bags????

really 36? I could only think of the nuke and hornet

Hornet is a very nice disc. Love at first sight for me.

Still voting River but had I had the Hornet for a little longer, it just might have got my vote. Already made some shots work with it that I always failed horribly at before; like FH Hyzer spike approaches without needing to disc up.

Apparently you don't need any more discs. You can't speak for everyone though.

If it makes you feel any better, there's at least a couple of new companies (ABC, DKG) in that list with their first year of releases. I like that there are smaller companies trying to compete for their share of our disc spending money. Why is a bad thing if a company comes out with new discs every year? They're a business, and they have to make new molds so people don't get complacent with their favorite molds and so they try new things, thus bringing in more revenue.

When it comes to R&D costs, I have no real input because I have no idea. Injection molding, when it comes to raw materials, doesn't seem like it would be too expensive compared to how much money they make per disc.

If it makes you feel any better, there's at least a couple of new companies (ABC, DKG) in that list with their first year of releases. I like that there are smaller companies trying to compete for their share of our disc spending money. Why is a bad thing if a company comes out with new discs every year? They're a business, and they have to make new molds so people don't get complacent with their favorite molds and so they try new things, thus bringing in more revenue.

Isn't that what most people do though? Believe me, I try a lot of the new stuff too, but like many people I almost always go back to the same stuff I've been throwing for years. Witness all the people still throwing Rocs and Aviars, 20 year old discs. I'm just wondering how a company like ABC makes any money selling discs when there is SO MUCH overlap already.

I'm just wondering how a company like ABC makes any money selling discs when there is SO MUCH overlap already.

I would leave that up to them.

Anyway, the only new disc to come out that I've thrown is the river. So I guess I vote river

"THE BIG JOHNSON" from Project 6 is probably the longest and most accurate disc I've ever thrown, a damn shame no one else has really given them a shot...

Just got an ESP 1st run Nuke and Opto River for Christmas and love them so far... both feel fantastic in my hand

aj

Probably the Fuse, although I'm still trying to get it into the rotation. I really need to go out to the pitch and putt and play a whole round with it to get used to it.

Probably the Fuse, although I'm still trying to get it into the rotation. I really need to go out to the pitch and putt and play a whole round with it to get used to it.

It's a tricky disc to dial in at first. But once you do, oh man is it special.

Isn't that what most people do though? Believe me, I try a lot of the new stuff too, but like many people I almost always go back to the same stuff I've been throwing for years. Witness all the people still throwing Rocs and Aviars, 20 year old discs. I'm just wondering how a company like ABC makes any money selling discs when there is SO MUCH overlap already.

I didn't mean that its a bad thing that people have favorite molds. I'm starting to figure out my favorite ones as well. I was just saying from a manufacturer's/retailer's perspective, they need to keep us buying discs as often and as much as possible. It makes sense as to why they keep wanting to release new molds; so people will buy them.

Max drivers: Champ/Pro Katana, Z Nuke (both are good and similar distance as I can throw about 350', I use Katana more than Nuke)

Fairway drivers: Ascent and River. I love Ascent grip and works well for both sidearm and forehand. The nice thing about Ascent is that it skid on the ground quite less than other discs which is very useful for me for some situations. I like overstable-ness in Ascent (similar to TeeBird). I did bought River and tried once about two months ago. When I read this thread seeing many people saying good things about River so I decide to give River a shot today at Kendall course in Miami. Wow I am impressed with River as it gave me couple of birdies. Nice grip and control.

Mids: I am not sure if Mako is counted as new in 2010, however i use Mako a lot for straight shots with nice glide and minimum of fade.

Putter: Ridge, great for putting and approach.

Between a black ridge and a yellow first run katana for me. The ridge is money for approaches and it's indestructible. Pro Katana has nice glide, once they beat in they bomb if you have the right touch.

..pd2 chaos is a fantastic fh disc, it's really something I've been looking for.

Hornet! Good god this thing is money been tearing up the woods for about two weeks now with it. Best overstable mid on the market IMO. Straight, fast and predictable. Not a meathook at all.