• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Water Holes

Somehow I forgot about woodshed and whippin post

Walnut Creek 18 is probably the best water hole I have ever played...requiring you to throw over the same lake 2x with risk reward as the closer you throw to water on your drive the closer you are set up for your second drive....well designed and beautiful hole...scary too I might add.....I wonder if anyone ever made the 500+ throw over water and cut out the landing area?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/785/55352b1a.jpg

My buddy brought one of those maps back with him and showed it to me. It instantly made me want to go play there.

Yield to your desires. You might lose a few discs---but it's already full-fledged Spring in Charleston.

Trophy Lakes has the full assortment---drive over water, drive up to water and then over, clear the water if you've got the arm or lay up if you don't, water in front of the basket, water behind the basket, water, water water.

Now that I'm writing this, I instantly want to go play there, too!

#17 looks like a bad motha

I say # 6 on Bud Hill or #16 at Idlewild(very unique)

Please don't start any sentences on these forms with "I say." It makes me do a double-take to make sure sidewinder22 wasn't posting.

It seems when most people hear "water hole," the immediate criterion they apply is that you must carry water on your tee shot. While that's all good, I think this thread (with a few exceptions) has neglected those water holes where you aren't forced to carry over OB but water is a very real risk or, even more rare in the world of DG, a hole where you don't encounter the risky water until your 2nd shot. Highbridge satisfies both of these additional criteria on 2 separate courses.

The first one I described CAN be played as a water carry for the true big arms (note that it's 480' to cross the marsh), with most players opting for the safer--but still risky--landing zone near where the drop zone is indicated on the photo, and then finishing the hole with relatively open upshot(s) if you clear the dogleg. This is hole #9 on Granite Ridge. The marshy area is literally no-man's-land...you do not want to go after your disc. I've personally witnessed folks go in with the intention of getting theirs back only to say "F this" and give up.
49cb8a1f.jpg

736df9cf.jpg

The other water hole type, where you don't encounter trouble until your second shot (although in this case, there is a minimal risk of hitting the smaller pond closer to the tee, the real hazard awaits you near the pin) is Blueberry #13. I've never seen the pin in the short position here, which would make tee shot ----> water a much bigger possibility. The distance is deceptive on this hole as it plays uphill and the pond is blind, located on a tiered green with the basket just behind it (as Chuck noted in another thread, the intention was to have this be a downhill water hole, but I thoroughly enjoy this design).
691a3f54.jpg

d0162c4c.jpg

41793b74.jpg

(as Chuck noted in another thread, the intention was to have this be a downhill water hole, but I thoroughly enjoy this design).
Not so much an intention but the thought that a hole coming down into these ponds would look really cool. But people seem to like the weird challenge of the Big Hopper so I'm okay with it this way.

I'm assuming the hole length would've been at least another 100 feet or so to accommodate the downhill change had it been set up that way? It definitely is a weird challenge, and it's not obvious your first time stepping up to that tee. I remember thinking, "Oh, this is the triple uphill water hazard?" my first time there and feeling underwhelmed...until we approached our tee shots and walked a little farther up to check out the pin location! Now every time I'm on Blueberry, the walk from basket #12 to tee #13 has me grinning and worrying (though I still haven't gotten wet there)!

Im so suprised that no one has mentioned any of the winthrop holes, that I won't mention them myself...

Trojan Park DGC has a bunch of water holes. Hole 8 is my favourite. Basket is on the tip of a peninsula about 380' from the tee...
51c6065d.jpg

Another of my favourites is/was hole #16 at Emerald Isle. Also coming in at 380'. The water didn't really come into play for people who can easily throw 330', but it was still really fun to throw over!
640505c8.jpg

I hear that some locals at Trojan Park DGC recently did a Search and Rescue for lost discs and pulled out 200+ :thmbup: They searched by hand and one dude had scuba gear. "No disc left behind!"

Some favorites I've played:

Maple Hill, Leicester MA hole 8:

82318_g.jpg

Fairfield U ffld CT hole 7:

715d447e.jpg

Page Park, Bristol CT hole 12:

1ef536dc.jpg

Here are a couple more of Flyboy #3 courtesy of Kelly and Brad and of course Liz Carr:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ADGO FALL EVENT 09 135.jpg
    ADGO FALL EVENT 09 135.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 51
  • ADGO FALL EVENT 09 141.jpg
    ADGO FALL EVENT 09 141.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 49
Here are a couple more of Flyboy #3 courtesy of Kelly and Brad and of course Liz Carr:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like an interesting shot in that you either need to lay up and then shoot across the water or rip a good RHBH hyzer over everything.

Looks like an interesting shot in that you either need to lay up and then shoot across the water or rip a good RHBH hyzer over everything.

Is that the short tee she's playing from? I was under the impression that even a GREAT drive from most players still won't net you an "all clear" and land you on the green unless you can throw over 500' with pinpoint accuracy.