• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you “lose” discs?

glassila

Double Eagle Member
How do you "lose" discs the most?
1. Lose (search, but can't find)
2. Leave (forget to pick up)
3. Can't get (disc lands in water or other unretrievable area)
4. Other (anyone care to share a different way they have lost discs?)

While I have done 1, 2 and 3 more than once each, more often than not it's #2...I throw multiple discs and forget to pick one up. :mad:😭
The "can't find" method is pretty rare for me as I will search HARD.
The "can't get" is also somewhat rare as I tend to throw safely when water is involved.

Mostly #1, sometimes #3. #2 hasn't happened to me in a very long time

Mostly 1, sometimes 3. Rarely 2. I can't imagine just leaving a disc at the course.

Sometimes water is too deep (deep pond, lake, etc.) to simply wade in to retrieve.

^ This.

But I think it depends on what courses you play most often.

If you frequently play a course with a significant water carry/large pond, etc, you'll likely lose more in an "irretrievable area'" than someone who usually plays in dense woods and doesn't encounter water too often.

There's really not that much intimidating water in play on courses in SE michigan, so most of the discs I lose are in leaves or brush. This can be compounded if you play courses with blind holes where discs can skip off the fairway after they turn or fade out of your line of sight, particularly if the terrain drops off after the hole bends.

Most of the discs I've lost in water have been on road trips.

I feel for those that frequently play courses that have the double whammy of dense, brushy fairways that also feature large ponds that come into play.

So yeah, I've definitely given some thought on the specific circumstances that contribute to disc loss. 😉

Last edited:
#3 95% of the time. My home course has water in play on 11 holes and very deep water with long forced carries on 4 of them. Most require scuba diving to recover. I rarely lose discs anymore, but when I do, it's because of those deep reservoir holes.

Usually water. Probably 80% of the time.

I usually bring some burner discs on road trips for water carries. I deem them burner discs because I suck at throwing them. Therefore they don't clear the water very effectively.

I can only think of two times I just forgot a disc.

Prairie courses are a big one though too. Nothing more infuriating than looking for a disc on every other hole in tall, prickly garbage. Play em all, and all that. But those are by far my least favorite courses.

Usually 1, and water or time are a factor. Often I'll have a finite time period for my round so if they are lost they are lost.

#3 for sure. Lost a couple in the water last year. Had a few that have been lost for a while and have turned up, longest was about 4 months...

Any time I throw multiples these days I notice what's missing from the small bag.

Number 3 twice in water never seen again as Lighting Discs needed to say what weight a #2 driver would float at and other was just so far out.

Number 2 one time due in part to a slapped together tournament and was so pissed I left a putter disc at base of a basket when I dropped it. Dark red is a mistake color for an old stiff Magnet I got in late 2007 and lost in 2008.

I had a 4 one where disc was warped beyond use hitting a tree and could not be used kind of lost use of disc as when I tried to fix disc would be fixed on one warp and other would be worse and up from a down warp, then fix other warp and disc other warp was now up from down; disc ended up in a recycle bin, well before brand trash panda was even a brand.

Last edited:
Only one I have lost recently I left behind somewhere. I will lose a driver in water maybe every other trip to Lake Marshall but seldom lose anything otherwise. Losing drivers doesn't bother me at all so there's that.

#1, bordering on #3: The area has very thick brush, and I could only go so deep into.
#2: Driving practice and I THOUGHT that I had retrieved all 20 discs.

I'm not the only one leaving discs behind because I found 5 or 6 discs this year just sitting in the fairway. On several of them I called the number and they admit they just forgot it after taking several shots.
This probably doesn't happen much on busy courses which my local courses are not.

I have done all three, but usually #1. Not much water near fairways at my two main courses. Our first 6 months, we threw multiple discs frequently, and #2 was a real issue, but now we mostly play just one disc (normal DG), so forgetting a disc is far less likely. Plus, I have gone to a consistent disc count in my bag, so it is easier to make sure I have them all.

While I have done 1, 2 and 3 more than once each, more often than not it's #2...I throw multiple discs and forget to pick one up. :mad:😭
The "can't find" method is pretty rare for me as I will search HARD.
The "can't get" is also somewhat rare as I tend to throw safely when water is involved.
Being color blind, my bag is primarily filled with yellow discs, and I also have one blue (or purple, I can't tell) Discraft Stratus, as it's out of production so that one I continue to use only when someone is able to assist the retreival . If I don't have a buddy helping me, no matter the color, the disc is gone and literally impossible to see even with the (for you) different contrasts against the green or brown lanscape, unless I trip over it or see the reflective sheen. I go thru about 20 bright yellow mamba's a year. If I didn't love the sport so much, I'd have to do something else. Hence, retirement is always being pushed further into the future, considering my disc golf addiction .

Last edited:
Last disc I lost was a combination of #1 and #3. Couldn't see the disc but probably can't get to where I think it went either. Early on it was leaving discs behind or they fell out of my bag and I didn't realize it, I guess. Leaves are currently the most likely to cost me a disc.