• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best way to put a patch on a Carolina Bag?

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
What is the best way to get a patch on a Revo Carolina Bag? Sewing? Would ironing on work ok? Never done anything with a patch before. I want them not to come off unless i want them off and i dont want to mess up my bag.

I've put iron on patches on a few bags (military surplus & Innova Deluxe ) & they work quite well. But they don't come off after the glue is set, so make sure you'll want it on your bag. Edges may come up after time, nothing a few stitches won't fix.

I just put 5 on my new revo. I was ironed on the top flap (with extra stitching) then 4 others hand stitch on the sides and front. i need to get a pic after i get a couple more on.

I would like to see some pics if you dont mind. I think sewing might be the way to go but I have no sewing skills lol. I dont even know how to go about it.

Definitely sew them on. You never know what can happen when you are using one of those iron on ones. One mistake and now your bag has a nice scorch on it. Had no problem sewing mine on my Carolina.

bag3.jpg

bag2.jpg

bag1.jpg

Thanks for the guidance

vonDrehle your bag looks sweet. Did you guys have to use a thicker needle or did you use just an everyday ordinary one?

Definitely sew them on. You never know what can happen when you are using one of those iron on ones. One mistake and now your bag has a nice scorch on it. Had no problem sewing mine on my Carolina.

I agree sewing probably is the safest way to go. If you do decide to iron, use a towel or piece of fabric between the iron and your bag. NEVER put an iron directly on your patch/bag.

I did the iron on. I put a very t-shirt thin rag over the patch, pressed the iron on it for a couple minutes. Then I sealed the outer edges of the patch with shoe goo. Hasn't peeled yet. Wasn't ugly either.

As far as the needle goes I just used what was around. I'm not sure if it was a "regulation" needle or not. Though I do admit my mom may have put one or two of them on :D.

depends on the patch really. The thicker it is, the harder it will be. Just use a needle that's not so think it will bend easily. Thimble or not, that's a matter of preference, callouses, and finger strength. Just remember, the thicker the needle, the harder you will have to push (pressure from the patch and bag around the needle). Spend like 2 bucks at wal-mart and you'll get 30 needles of various sizes. Or 3 bucks gets your specialty needles; big thick for canvas, or curved ones, etc. it's really not as hard as you think....the hardest part is making it look uniformaly neat, and that really just takes patience.

...I just posted a whole paragraph on sewing....
I used "outdoor" thread for this...but just because it would be load bearing, regular ol thread works for patches.
IMAG0221.jpg

I do think I am going to copy your drink holder idea except maybe just have something covering the entire area. Sometimes I forget to grab my nalgene bottles from the sink and have to carry the 16.9oz bottles in my pockets because they fall right through the drink holder.

I never had that problem actually, this was just cause I had the strap from cutting them off the back of the bag (i kept stepping on them) and replacing them with those velcro straps you see. They were just sittin there, so I figured...meh..