• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Money Skins

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the last round. I usually don't watch many of the GK Pro Skins matches - I just don't find them very enjoyable. I think having Big Jerm co-host was a plus to the coverage. Also - in defense of the whole fiasco, I received a $30 gift certificate to Gateway for correctly predicting Calvin would win.

I enjoyed the post-pro coverage of the final round on YouTube.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the last round. I usually don't watch many of the GK Pro Skins matches - I just don't find them very enjoyable. I think having Big Jerm co-host was a plus to the coverage. Also - in defense of the whole fiasco, I received a $30 gift certificate to Gateway for correctly predicting Calvin would win.
I finally watched it last night. Definitely thought it was a fun watch. Obviously the event had a bunch of issues, and I was absolutely frustrated by not getting to see how the event was going as it was going on. I know that's a bit of me being spoiled by the modern era, but hey: thats where we are! But back to what I saw last night - GK Pro put together a couple of really nice videos, the competition was light-hearted but competitive, and had a bunch of big moments that played well on camera.

Calvin razzing the World Putting Champion before a short putt worth thousands of dollars and the guy missing it was a hell of a moment. Just wow.

Guess I'm in the minority, but although I wanted to see all the holes on video I couldn't sit through the whole final round. What was it like 2.5 hours for 18 holes between the two videos? Some of the banter and discussion among the hosts and players was kind of interesting, but most of it seemed like filler while guys were walking up the fairway. Big benefit of post-pro (to me) is not having to sit through all of that. I occasionally watch the regular GK Pro skins and those videos seem to move at a much quicker pace.

Calvin. Vinny. C-Borg.
Calvin is just so money.
If we weren't in this current age of DG, that is, so much talent - and it just keeps a-comin', would Calvin be THE MAN?
And now that he is no longer "Contract year Calvin" will he be able to relax & take his play up a notch?

Guess I'm in the minority, but although I wanted to see all the holes on video I couldn't sit through the whole final round. What was it like 2.5 hours for 18 holes between the two videos? Some of the banter and discussion among the hosts and players was kind of interesting, but most of it seemed like filler while guys were walking up the fairway. Big benefit of post-pro (to me) is not having to sit through all of that. I occasionally watch the regular GK Pro skins and those videos seem to move at a much quicker pace.
Yeah, I can see that. That's why it took me longer than usual to get to it - I just didn't feel like sitting down for 2.5 hours of post-pro. I'll watch a 4 hour live round, but that's with the motivation that I get to see it happen live - understanding reality. With post-pro I already have some idea of what happens and that isn't gonna change whether I wait a week or watch it immediately.

Also - the down side to this format: I stopped watching as they were teeing on hole 17 because there just wasn't anything for the leader to do but **** around. So I didn't care anymore.

I watch all YouTube videos at 2x speed. Saves a ton of time.

Also - the down side to this format: I stopped watching as they were teeing on hole 17 because there just wasn't anything for the leader to do but **** around. So I didn't care anymore.

I swear Vinny was still trying to win skins (even though he could not win another dime because of the $50K cap) on the last couple holes. If he wasn't, he sure was precise in how close he missed hit putt on the last hole for example. Hit cage as I recall, and it was a pretty long uphill putt on the cake hole. Could have easily just laid up his drives, airballed his putts, whatever.

If he was, seems sort of mercenary to me. Kind of like dancing in the loser's locker room or something...Why take money out of other players' pockets?

I do believe it is Vinny who is credited with saying, "Greed is a real thing."

I do believe it is Vinny who is credited with saying, "Greed is a real thing."

but he couldn't win any more at that point. If he won additional skins, it would just reduce the amount of money that other players would make. so he wasn't being greedy or selfish. he was being kinda inexplicably stupid and rude to be honest

I swear Vinny was still trying to win skins (even though he could not win another dime because of the $50K cap) on the last couple holes. If he wasn't, he sure was precise in how close he missed hit putt on the last hole for example. Hit cage as I recall, and it was a pretty long uphill putt on the cake hole. Could have easily just laid up his drives, airballed his putts, whatever.

If he was, seems sort of mercenary to me. Kind of like dancing in the loser's locker room or something...Why take money out of other players' pockets?

100% agreed.

why not take money out of others pockets? They aren't buying Calvin anything. You want the money earn it.

but he couldn't win any more at that point. If he won additional skins, it would just reduce the amount of money that other players would make. so he wasn't being greedy or selfish. he was being kinda inexplicably stupid and rude to be honest

100% agreed.

To be fair. Not sure the whole event was thought out to that level of detail.

I mean, he even said he was trying to win the holes.

IIRC he said to Ulibarri, "Well now I am trying to win, because you are my nemesis." Tongue in cheek, but also a tiny bit serious.

Let's be honest, he's in an awkward situation. If he doesn't throw, then the guy putting on the event might take umbrage. If he does throw and just intentionally fluffs it, it's against the nature of a competitor. "You play to win the game!" Heck, Ulibarri just "won a record number of skins on GK Pro." Maybe someday the Big Money Skins record will mean something.

Might be a wrinkle to be worked out for the format for future events. Give the winner some sort of bonus if they tie or win holes, but remove them from the skins competition itself. Or give them a seeding bonus for next year. Something.

Let's be honest, he's in an awkward situation. If he doesn't throw, then the guy putting on the event might take umbrage. If he does throw and just intentionally fluffs it, it's against the nature of a competitor. "You play to win the game!" Heck, Ulibarri just "won a record number of skins on GK Pro." Maybe someday the Big Money Skins record will mean something.

earlier in the competition there were numerous instances that had players intentionally lose a hole so that a certain other player could win the skins, thereby eliminating the possibility of other players catching up to them. that seems to be against the nature of competition as well.

earlier in the competition there were numerous instances that had players intentionally lose a hole so that a certain other player could win the skins, thereby eliminating the possibility of other players catching up to them. that seems to be against the nature of competition as well.

Which holes? I don't recall this, just Jakob missing putts on holes he should have won. James missed a 35-footer too but not on purpose for sure, he was p.o.'d at himself after making an incredible 450-foot flex to C2 for the look.

100% agreed.

Are you sure that's how the payout worked?

Like Calvin won so his total payout was 50k, regardless of how many skins he won, just as long as he won the match as I understand it.

Were 2, 3, 4 on a similar fixed payout structure or just the skins they won? Asking because I don't recall any details on that.

Latest posts