• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Questions after "Fundamentals of"

I'd say "firing the hips" increases lower spine injury chances.

I'm going to guess what you're explaining there is the idea that throwing your body without a resistance is bad.

Equal and opposite such things.

As in, apply force in both directions to even things out.
im explaining it really basic, but. meh whatever.
No, I'm saying if you only swing one direction for 40 years (Tiger) you might develop an unbalanced musculature around the spine.

No, I'm saying if you only swing one direction for 40 years (Tiger) you might develop an unbalanced musculature around the spine.
I agree with the advice, but IMO Tiger is not a good swing model to mitigate injury as he fires his hips ahead early and gets stuck and snaps his knee into hyperextension, note how his pelvis thrusts up into the spine compressing it, instead of free wheeling/pivoting thru like Dunaway. tiger 97 vs Dunaway 89 driver quad copy.png
seekr vs drew side and behind.png

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to reading the forums, but what is the best way to achieve hip and shoulder separation in a way that a) avoids injury and b) adds to effectiveness or efficiency in throwing? I watched the video above and I have a friend who started trying to manually "fire the hips" (I'm paraphrasing) and I don't want him to hurt himself. Any drills or advice to pass along, would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm relatively new to reading the forums, but what is the best way to achieve hip and shoulder separation in a way that a) avoids injury and b) adds to effectiveness or efficiency in throwing? I watched the video above and I have a friend who started trying to manually "fire the hips" (I'm paraphrasing) and I don't want him to hurt himself. Any drills or advice to pass along, would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

This is an interesting thought because I've been thinking more about striding forward while coiling back as has been taught here on DGCR. That increases separation, but seems to put more stress on the back. But maybe there is a correct and a wrong way of doing it.

I agree with the bolded. It took me months in standstills to find the leverage and move off the rear leg that kept the posture and protect my lower back (and I had my own host of personal barriers to moving better).

I don't think it was any one trick or drill in particular as much as many of them over time and weeding out worse moves. If the posture is poor it will tend to make it more likely to get jams or binds etc. for various reasons.

In X-step, it has been harder to learn with moving parts but working on this has gradually increased consistent power with less strain on the lower back and other joints.

For me, it has taken a special kind of patience for sure.

There is much more evidence of injuries due to many years of one directional rotational movement in sports (ball golf) than there is to individualized pelvis/torso dissociation. If you are planning on throwing for a long time, throw both RH and LH backhands. Learn to apply force in both directions.
It would definitely be strange (to me) if training unidirectional swings didn't train unidirectional sequences/body conditioning/kinetics, etc.

FWIW I have an old meniscus tear in my left knee that has made me reluctant to throw for any distance that way (LHBH). But I have spent a lot of time working swings and athletic training drills both ways and I think (hope) it has been helpful for conditioning, throwing in my primary direction, and fixing my powerlifter body's stupid balance. A lot of sidewinder's drills and weighted throws have been very helpful on this front. Body moves better balanced etc. over time as a result.

Last edited:

Thank you!

It would definitely be strange (to me) if training unidirectional swings didn't train unidirectional sequences/body conditioning/kinetics, etc.

FWIW I have an old meniscus tear in my left knee that has made me reluctant to throw for any distance that way (LHBH). But I have spent a lot of time working swings and athletic training drills both ways and I think (hope) it has been helpful for conditioning, throwing in my primary direction, and fixing my powerlifter body's stupid balance. A lot of sidewinder's drills and weighted throws have been very helpful on this front. Body moves better balanced etc. over time as a result.
Both my knee's are toast.
Send it.
Just dont send it like you're conrad or ricky.
haha
Pretty much all the ligaments in my knee's are toasted. So, I get it.
But good knee posture and strength positions help mitigate issues.

I only ever find knee stress when I really try and push a "normal" run up like most people do more than 2 or 3 times in a round.

Latest posts