• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Birdie Bash advice

Ender175

Eagle Member
I'm getting ready to sign up for a birdie bash and I need help picking my two discs.

If I was playing two disc birdie golf with my bag it would be gstar rhyno and either gstar tl3 or daedalus.
Tl3 if the holes are pretty short and or the ground is too uneven to throw a lot of skip shots.
Daedalus if there are at least a few par 4s or if the ground is nice and predictable(I throw a TON of skip shots to get around corners, under branches etc).
I don't mind powering down wide rimmed drivers, I have big hands and US drivers at half power hit similar lines to stable mids.

I'm leaning towards putter/trak or putter/lace, in soft all around for that gstar give.

Which putter is closer to gstar rhyno, vp or ridge?

Can you still get a good skip with vibram? Would a med or firm lace skip better than soft?

Has anyone played Hyland dgc and brewery in Sturbridge, MA? Are there any longer holes from the shortest tees? What's the ground surface like in general?

Well first, soft isn't an option for the Birdie Bash. Neither is the Trak.

Your putter you will want a VP. Someone who is a bigger Vibram fan can hook you up with which driver to go with.

Well first, soft isn't an option for the Birdie Bash. Neither is the Trak.

Your putter you will want a VP. Someone who is a bigger Vibram fan can hook you up with which driver to go with.

Didn't realize their whole lineup wasn't on offer...that sucks

Yeah don't know why they made that decision this year. In years past they had everything. This year it's just the distance drivers, mids and putters. The one I'm running is on a short course so I suspect I'll be seeing a lot of people choosing the Ibex or Obex over the distance drivers.

Didn't they pull back on that and allow putter/whatever, or was that just for a specific Birdie Bash?

The obex is the only vibram I've ever owned and I sold it to a friend after a few rounds because it overlapped to much with my shark.
I can't really power grip mids comfortably, and the little extra distance I get fan gripping an obex vs a putter isn't worth giving up the extra distance and shot shaping options I get with a wide rim driver. I guess I'll be getting a vp and a lace in medium.

Didn't realize their whole lineup wasn't on offer...that sucks
Ugh, I didn't know that either. That changes my plans SIGNIFICANTLY!. I was going to go Obex/Ascent, and steer you towards a VP/Ascent combo. I'd probably go Lace or UnLace and VP if I were you. The VP will feel different than your Rhyno, but fly similarly. You could consider the Ibex for a shorter, but similar flight to your TL, but it doesn't glide like a Comet so there will be lost distance for sure. If your course is longer the UnLace might be a touch flippier than your Daedalus, but would be a good choice. Lace would give you more stability/wind fighting ability.

Didn't they pull back on that and allow putter/whatever, or was that just for a specific Birdie Bash?

Must have just been one specific event, because none of the ones around here nor the one I'm running have the option of anything but putter and mid or distance driver.

Not allowing fairways is pretty lame on their part. I'm sure it makes the logistics easier, but it's very player-unfriendly for an event like this. Vibram disappoints me more and more with things like this.

Echoing the VP suggestion, as long as you don't mind big beads and deep rims. It's an excellent approach disc and handles any wind. At the very least it should give you a lot of runs at the basket on your second shot.

The Lace is your best bet if as you say you don't mind powering down DDs and if you want to ensure you have a longer disc to cover any hole. Not sure if they're allowing you to choose weight, but if so, try getting a mid 160s one, as they're very workable. If you max at 300' or less you might want something lighter still.

Don't worry about not having access to Softs: they are crazy floppy, well beyond G star, and more niche discs than anything else. I get my VPs in Soft because I love the hit and stick approaches they're capable of, but wouldn't throw anything else in that material.

So, based on a thread here, I ordered a ULace and a Sole for the VBB, both in 170's (I like a heavier disk) and both in soft.

My understanding is that the ULace needs to be thrown on a 25 - 30% hyzer angle (RHBH) at about 60 - 75% power, and that it will flatten out and perhaps fade a bit to the right at the end, while the sole is just straight and glidey, and that for the soft molds, the trick is just keeping the release fairly smooth with a decent snap?

This will be in 30 to 50 degree weather tomorrow, btw.

I'm tempted to go Lace + Ibex given the course it's being help at. Too many long holes to go Ibex + putter, which was my original plan.

Trak + putter would have rocked - oh well.

So, based on a thread here, I ordered a ULace and a Sole for the VBB, both in 170's (I like a heavier disk) and both in soft.

My understanding is that the ULace needs to be thrown on a 25 - 30% hyzer angle (RHBH) at about 60 - 75% power, and that it will flatten out and perhaps fade a bit to the right at the end, while the sole is just straight and glidey, and that for the soft molds, the trick is just keeping the release fairly smooth with a decent snap?

This will be in 30 to 50 degree weather tomorrow, btw.

Pretty sure you can't get soft in the BB? You're spot-on with your understanding though. Ulace is very finesse/flippy. Sole is straight but more stable-overstable than stable-understable when new and break in pretty straight.

Lace/VP is what you're after from what it sounds like. Lace is a wide-rimmed distance driver that likes to skip more than the other Vibram molds, which also powers down nicely for forehand flicks and shorter holes. VP is a deep-dish with very slow, overstable-ness added to it...

Not sure why you can't pick Trak/Ascent, but my guess is that #1) too many people were picking these discs that the factory ran out, #2) too many people were winning BB with these discs, or #3) Vibram is looking to promote their brand better by putting their distance drivers in more player's hands (which makes the most sense to me from a business stand-point).

Latest posts