• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Fuel Coffee Co.

I've always wondered, why do many people shrug off the lighter roasts? Any insight? The lighter roasts tend to have a smidge more caffeine than the darker roasts. Not substantially more, just a little. Is it the less pronounced flavors? Just curious...

This is a good question. I think that it has always been my assumption that Dark Roast = More Flavor, and Light Roast = Less Flavor. I've now realized that isn't true. As I started to reply to this post, my 1st package from Birdie Fuel arrived! So I emptied the dark roast out of the grinder, and I prepared some of the Live Your Dream medium roast that I ordered. It's great! I prefer a stronger cup, but you bring up a good point that light roast doesn't have to equal light on flavor.

In fact at work, we have one of those packet-type coffee makers (Flavia) so we don't have grounds in all of the breakrooms. The machine has a Small/Medium/Large setting, and most of the strong coffee drinkers choose Small setting. I choose "Over Ice" which is supposed to make it stronger... to me it just makes it 'normal'. I have tried the Morning Roast on occasion for a change of pace, and it's not bad.

Most of the time I put the dark roast grind of the day in reusable K-cups and carry those to work. Our Keurig has a 6-ounce setting as the smallest, which is too much. By the time it's finished pouring, it's almost clear water coming out of the spout. The Aeropress at home has me spoiled.

Asking anyone who likes light roasts: What is your favorite origin? I'm an Ethiopian kind of guy.

I tend to go for Central American coffees more than anything. Costa Rican, Guatemalan, and Mexican coffees have been some of my favorites. It's hard to generalize more than that because the specific lot and processing seems to make a huge difference. But they're typically pretty balanced with mild acidity and sometimes chocolately flavors.

I used to be all about the Ethiopian and Kenyan single origins, but I started to get burned out on the high acidity. I would go through like half a bag and then move on to something else. I like a cup now and then, but I'm not buying those beans very often.

I must chime in on the Birdie Fuel mug - it is fantastic! I own a lot of coffee mugs. In the beginning, I would collect them because of the cool colors (I like Purple). Then I collected them from places I visited. Over the years I have generally stopped getting them, because if they didn't keep the coffee hot, or if they didn't allow me to drink it easily, then it would just sit at the back of the cabinet and be a waste of money.

I got this mug honestly just to support the company with no real expectations of quality. That's not a slam - generally I find that the plastic mugs with the metal on the outside don't really insulate all that well. Plastic lids often don't let the coffee flow out well because they have a tiny hole at the top to regulate the pressure, and it clogs up with condensation, which blocks the coffee from coming out. Then the hole suddenly unclogs and the hot coffee comes pouring out all over your shirt - ugh! Anyhow, this mug isn't like that at all. The slit in the lid isn't horizontal like most Starbucks mugs - it's vertical - so there's no pressure buildup. (Wow - I realize this sounds super geeky - but this is the coffee geek post, so I hope that's ok.)

TL;DR - I expected to be impressed by the coffee, not the mug. Both are equally impressive. I didn't see that coming!

I must chime in on the Birdie Fuel mug - it is fantastic! I own a lot of coffee mugs. In the beginning, I would collect them because of the cool colors (I like Purple). Then I collected them from places I visited. Over the years I have generally stopped getting them, because if they didn't keep the coffee hot, or if they didn't allow me to drink it easily, then it would just sit at the back of the cabinet and be a waste of money.

I got this mug honestly just to support the company with no real expectations of quality. That's not a slam - generally I find that the plastic mugs with the metal on the outside don't really insulate all that well. Plastic lids often don't let the coffee flow out well because they have a tiny hole at the top to regulate the pressure, and it clogs up with condensation, which blocks the coffee from coming out. Then the hole suddenly unclogs and the hot coffee comes pouring out all over your shirt - ugh! Anyhow, this mug isn't like that at all. The slit in the lid isn't horizontal like most Starbucks mugs - it's vertical - so there's no pressure buildup. (Wow - I realize this sounds super geeky - but this is the coffee geek post, so I hope that's ok.)

TL;DR - I expected to be impressed by the coffee, not the mug. Both are equally impressive. I didn't see that coming!

You're right...

Those mugs are super solid for a plastic liner. I love how it keeps the drink warm but allows it to cool to a drinkable temperature unlike stainless cups... They're lava for hours.

If I get my way, we'll get that light roast soon ;)
I've been looking forward to a light roast. We have several mediums and darks... the time has come!

Asking anyone who likes light roasts: What is your favorite origin? I'm an Ethiopian kind of guy.
I usually waffle between a lighter Ethiopian and a darker Sumatra, mixing it up seems to work for me. Costa Rica/Tarrazu is usually a good lighter blend, kinda a subtle chocolate/caramel thing. There was a Nicaraguan blend that I've had that was kinda fruity that was cool. I think I preferred the Costa Rican blend, though.

My wife likes things that are not coffee. We get this stuff labeled "Belgian Chocolate." Uh...that's not a kind of coffee. :| I guess they roast something somehow with chocolate? No idea. Anyway, I end up drinking stuff like that because it's too much hassle to be grinding separate coffee every day and I make all the coffee because I know how and she makes watery brown swill. :|

Our coffee guy ticked me off, so I need a new coffee guy. Know anybody?

I don't drink coffee at all and still read this thread. I guess it's because it has been 100% civil. Sure hope I don't mess that up.

Cheers!

I've been getting beans lately from this local company called Coffeol Roasting. I like to brew half reg and half decaf and it's nice that this place has a Swiss water process decaf. It's also awesome that they sell a 12 oz bag but fill it with like 16+ oz of coffee and leave it on our doorstep.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I don't drink coffee at all and still read this thread. I guess it's because it has been 100% civil. Sure hope I don't mess that up.

Cheers!

Odds are most of us that read this thread havent had enough coffee yet to get angry

You get angry when you don't get your coffee! It's civil because everyone is all juiced up and feeling good.

I first tried the inverted Aeropress method a couple of weeks ago... figured out how to measure with the numbers upside down, poured in the grounds, got the water in.. and spilled all over the place. Figured out from folks here how to do it correctly, so I thought I was golden.

So a couple of days later I step into the kitchen on autopilot. Grounds, water, stir, lid, cup... and then realized after it sloshed into my cup that I hadn't actually put a filter in the lid, so the whole soup poured right into my cup. Ugh. Talk about angry!

Too bad we can't wait until after we've had coffee and had time to wake up a bit before we have to make coffee.

There are coffee makers out there that have a timer on them. You can Ready it the day prior and it will brew your coffee in the morning. Now, it won't be nearly as complicated as whatever hipster gadget you might be struggling with, but it will produce hot coffee.

I first tried the inverted Aeropress method a couple of weeks ago... figured out how to measure with the numbers upside down, poured in the grounds, got the water in.. and spilled all over the place. Figured out from folks here how to do it correctly, so I thought I was golden.

So a couple of days later I step into the kitchen on autopilot. Grounds, water, stir, lid, cup... and then realized after it sloshed into my cup that I hadn't actually put a filter in the lid, so the whole soup poured right into my cup. Ugh. Talk about angry!

Too bad we can't wait until after we've had coffee and had time to wake up a bit before we have to make coffee.

The AeroPress has been my primary coffee maker for a few years now and I still do this from time to time, it happens

I'm super excited that some light roast prototypes are in the works!!! This is what I've been wanting since we started BirdieFuel; a crisp, citrusy, clean, high caffeine light roast. Jcassidy1990 and I will be tasting the protos in a few days :) Next week I'll let y'all know how they brew!

I hate the wait :(

There are coffee makers out there that have a timer on them. You can Ready it the day prior and it will brew your coffee in the morning. Now, it won't be nearly as complicated as whatever hipster gadget you might be struggling with, but it will produce hot coffee.

My first time being associated with anything considered 'hipster'! That makes me feel young... ha, ha.

I do miss waking up to the smell of coffee. Or, at least to the ability to have coffee the instant I'm awake enough to want it. Sometimes the Aeropress can seem like a chore when I'm really still sleeping on my feet. So in truth, I do use the Keurig for the first cup. I'm not so snobby that I look down on the easier methods.

We use some type of coffee pouch contraption at work. I'll drink that in a pinch, but I'd rather bring my own K-cup of better stuff. It really stinks that I can taste the difference now between the good stuff and the rest. I've even begun to appreciate my medium roast beans thanks to what I've learned on this forum. Looking forward to trying the new lighter roast flavors too.

So I almost completed the trifecta, I took my ring of (camp)fire whole bean with me camping, even used a camp mug. Unfortunately just a plain blue one, not a birdie fuel one. Anyway, I had another revelation with the aeropress..I was getting everything set up and got distracted so I let the water cool off a bit, not wanting to waste fuel to get the camp stove going again I just used the water as is. That made the flavor pop better than anything I've tried at home.

The light roast protos have my interest, can't wait to hear how they turn out.

... Anyway, I had another revelation with the aeropress..I was getting everything set up and got distracted so I let the water cool off a bit, not wanting to waste fuel to get the camp stove going again I just used the water as is. That made the flavor pop better than anything I've tried at home.

I read all of the instructions in my Aeropress - they say to let the water cool down a lot. I like it as hot as I can stand it when drinking out of a mug. It cools off so fast when it's in a mug, I just about reach the bottom when it's too cool to drink.

If it's a mug with a lid, then I can let it be cooler when it goes in the mug. I haven't done this on purpose though... but if it affects the flavor, I may try it. Especially in the Birdie Fuel mug - as I said earlier, I *really* like the way the coffee flows out of it. No pressure build up and then a sudden splurge of coffee on your shirt.

Latest posts