• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Fuel Coffee Co.

Also if your coffee tasted tangy out of a French press, probably your grind is too coarse or you're not steeping long enough. Usually it takes me 2-3 brews with a particular coffee to get the grind and time correct. Just enough time to run out of coffee and start the process over again with a new one.

Basically- bitter means over-extracted and you need a bigger grind, less time, and/or cooler water. Sour means under-extracted and it's the opposite problem. You need a finer grind, more time, and/or hotter water. That all assumes your coffee/water ratio is in a decent range. It's best to hold most of these constant and just mess with one thing at a time.

I know that a disc golf forum seems like an odd place to ask for coffee advice - but that is VERY helpful. Thank you! I do have a burr grinder so I can adjust the grind, but I didn't know the specifics on how it would change. That's awesome.

If you haven't seen yet.... We have officially launched "CoffeEmac!"

Each sale of this dark roasted Sumatran will directly support Eric Mcabe.

Great coffee. Better guy.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1561589971335.jpg
    FB_IMG_1561589971335.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 17
Any chance of a re-stock on the Ring of (Camp)fire? I slept on it and when I went to finally place an order yesterday, I saw that it's sold out.

If you haven't seen yet.... We have officially launched "CoffeEmac!"

Each sale of this dark roasted Sumatran will directly support Eric Mcabe.

Great coffee. Better guy.

Yes - I should be placing my 1st order very soon. I looked earlier this week, and all of the dark roasts were sold out. This is perfect.

I look at breakfast blends like most coffee folks look at decalf - with a bit of a sneer that seems to say, "Why bother?" :) I can drink it, but I prefer the darker roasts.

However, a lot of that seems to be because they all ended up too tangy for me - and now I have some advice (see above) to combat that! I was 2 notches away from the finest grind on my burr grinder, so I moved it to the finest grind this morning. I made the 1st cup for my wife (even though she's a heathen that puts creamer in hers), and then I started on mine. She came in the kitchen, fussing at kids, picked up the coffee and sipped it and said...

"Wow - that's good!"

Any chance of a re-stock on the Ring of (Camp)fire? I slept on it and when I went to finally place an order yesterday, I saw that it's sold out.

Now I feel bad for coming here to say that your tip of the coarser grind helped smooth out the Ro(C)F I'm using an aeropress inverted, but still worked. After about halfway through a cup I was noticing not so much a bitterness, but a taste that wasn't right. Will keep experimenting, but you pointed me in the right direction.

I look at breakfast blends like most coffee folks look at decalf - with a bit of a sneer that seems to say, "Why bother?" :) I can drink it, but I prefer the darker roasts.
I used to be a dark roast guy. Recently, I've been all about the medium and light roasts because the delicate flavors and their personalities are less masked by the heavy smokiness of the dark roasts.

I adore the more neutral discs like putters, Wombat3, and especially the Discraft Comet. They just seem to have a refined flight path that I love watching and manipulating. Similarly, light roasts and medium roasts tend to be more nuanced in my experience. The unique properties can be more easily manipulated by adjusting the coffee-making process variables. Dark roasts are like Firebirds and other massively overstable discs. They do one thing really REALLY well... but they are usually the correct choice only 10% of the time. Different strokes for different folks.

As a side note, I think many of the bigger companies use inferior beans for the darker roasts because the quality will be masked by the punchier flavors.

She came in the kitchen, fussing at kids, picked up the coffee and sipped it and said...

"Wow - that's good!"

Music to my ears! Thanks for the compliments\ :)

I look at breakfast blends like most coffee folks look at decalf - with a bit of a sneer that seems to say, "Why bother?"

I forgot to mention...
We are carrying the RecLife decaf at my insistence. My wife and I absolutely fell in love with it the first time we drank it! Remarkably well-balanced and smooth. We are gonna be guzzling this on the regular.

I have a hunch that many nay-sayers would make an exception for this decaf :)

I've always wondered, why do many people shrug off the lighter roasts? Any insight? The lighter roasts tend to have a smidge more caffeine than the darker roasts. Not substantially more, just a little. Is it the less pronounced flavors? Just curious...

I forgot to mention...
We are carrying the RecLife decaf at my insistence. My wife and I absolutely fell in love with it the first time we drank it! Remarkably well-balanced and smooth. We are gonna be guzzling this on the regular.

I have a hunch that many nay-sayers would make an exception for this decaf :)

I've always wondered, why do many people shrug off the lighter roasts? Any insight? The lighter roasts tend to have a smidge more caffeine than the darker roasts. Not substantially more, just a little. Is it the less pronounced flavors? Just curious...

I prefer a rich flavored dark roast. I was a major Peetnik before we launched Birdie Fuel. Major Dickasons Blend was my go to because it was dark, not acidic but rich as hell.
Similar to CoffeEmac, they have tons of flavor without ever tasting burnt.

I'm the opposite, I never buy dark roast. Typically medium for everyday drinking/drip coffee, and the light roast single origin stuff for messing around with other brew methods. Dark roasts all taste over roasted and pretty much the same to me.

Agreed, I dont buy dark roasts. Light roast for pretty much everything unless a medium is all I can get and dark roasts just arent worth it. Still patiently waiting for a light roast to come out.

Agreed, I dont buy dark roasts. Light roast for pretty much everything unless a medium is all I can get and dark roasts just arent worth it. Still patiently waiting for a light roast to come out.

If I get my way, we'll get that light roast soon ;)
I've been looking forward to a light roast. We have several mediums and darks... the time has come!

Asking anyone who likes light roasts: What is your favorite origin? I'm an Ethiopian kind of guy.

I'm typically a medium or light roast guy. For years I was using folger's classic roast, then got the keurig and found I liked the breakfast blends the best, which are normally labeled medium, but sometimes come across a light. Now that I'm onto fresh coffee (thanks a lot everyone) I have a couple different medium roasts, Ring of (Camp)fire and one from a different company, but I'm finding I like them around a 1:17 ratio in my inverted aeropress, which I gather is weaker than most people. I'm not sure the best way to describe it, but it has more tastes than just harsh coffee.

If I get my way, we'll get that light roast soon ;)
I've been looking forward to a light roast. We have several mediums and darks... the time has come!

Asking anyone who likes light roasts: What is your favorite origin? I'm an Ethiopian kind of guy.

Cant say what I prefer yet. Ive only got really into coffee in the past year or two and so far Ive just got it narrowed down to light roasts. From there I havent had one I didnt like yet.

Latest posts