• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Blizz Katana vs Blizz Beast vs Starlight Valk

pfpro

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I do not have great arm speed. I play mostly wooded courses. When I throw backhand, I have been using JK Valks, and if I rip it good (300'), I can get some rightward movement (a little bit of a flip) before the fade left for essentially a straight shot. Sometimes I get my Beast out there, but I am mostly using that for shots where I want to fade dogleg left. I picked up a 132 Katana to use as a floater, and started throwing it on open holes. IF (big if) I get the correct angle, I can hyzer flip it match to my valk distance (actually I can get 25' beyond it) and accuracy. I have a gift certificate. I am going to pick up a putter or mid, and am contemplating getting a Blizz Beast in the 130s, a Starlight Valk in the 130s or another Blizz Katana. Has anyone thrown all 3 that can comment?

I haven't thrown a Blizzard Beast yet, I don't think anyone has but I'm going to bet it's what you're looking for. Blizzard Katanas are crazy flippy and are stupid inconsistent. Starlight Valks are actually pretty stable for 150. It hyzer fliped for me and help. Pretty cool disc. But It may be too stable for your liking.

Plus it's always fun to be the guy with the newest released disc on the course and allowing people you're playing with throw it.

maybe try a blizzard discmania c-line DD2 its its between a katana and a boss, i have a big arm and can let it go perpendicular to the ground and it will flip up fly straight and give a slight fade at the end

Stay away from DD2.

Try a beast. Haven't thrown it, but beware of inconsistent blizzard molds.

I banished Valkyries from my bag in favor of Latitude Fury (same flight info but more glide)

I have a 136 blizzard beast. Been throwing it for about a week now. I usually throw a 11x eagle l and a 5x valk. The beast is super floppy if u put too much on it. But it is my biggest distance disc. Usually about 300-350 on it. Only been throwing discs for about a year total. But the bliz beast is becoming one of my favorite discs in the bag.

I haven't thrown a Blizzard Beast yet, I don't think anyone has but I'm going to bet it's what you're looking for. Blizzard Katanas are crazy flippy and are stupid inconsistent. Starlight Valks are actually pretty stable for 150. It hyzer fliped for me and help. Pretty cool disc. But It may be too stable for your liking.

Plus it's always fun to be the guy with the newest released disc on the course and allowing people you're playing with throw it.

Agree :thmbup:

Thanks for thoughts all! Leaning towards the blizzard beast. Are they coming put flat or domey?

Before Blizzard was released my main driver was the JK Valkyrie. I don't throw for distance very often, usually controlled throws out to about 300 to 325 ft. My goto driver now is a first run Blizzard Katana (150g with bubbles in flight plate). These specific Blizzard Katanas fly just like my JK Valk does, just longer. I bought a 153g Blizzard Beast and it reminds me more of a well worn JK Valk. Less stable than Katana. Holds an anhyer better with less flex back. Distance wise the Blizzard Katana and Beast are close, but the Katana wins by 15 ft (for me)

Previous posts are correct about the consistency of later run Blizzard Katanas. Most Blizzard Katana that don't have bubbles in flight plate are more stable than first run. But rarely do two fly the same. I have a 150g teal Katana that is more OS than anything I have.

Before Blizzard was released my main driver was the JK Valkyrie. I don't throw for distance very often, usually controlled throws out to about 300 to 325 ft. My goto driver now is a first run Blizzard Katana (150g with bubbles in flight plate). These specific Blizzard Katanas fly just like my JK Valk does, just longer. I bought a 153g Blizzard Beast and it reminds me more of a well worn JK Valk. Less stable than Katana. Holds an anhyer better with less flex back. Distance wise the Blizzard Katana and Beast are close, but the Katana wins by 15 ft (for me)

Previous posts are correct about the consistency of later run Blizzard Katanas. Most Blizzard Katana that don't have bubbles in flight plate are more stable than first run. But rarely do two fly the same. I have a 150g teal Katana that is more OS than anything I have.

Thanks for the insight :thmbup:

If you really like your Valkyrie then try out the Starlight Valkyrie(that's what I think you should get).

If you are getting your Beast and Katana out at the same distances as your Valkyrie then you need to stick with it for right now.

I know getting new discs is great.If you can't throw a higher speed driver no farther than your slower speed distance driver at the moment then you shouldn't be throwing it...yet.

If you really like your Valkyrie then try out the Starlight Valkyrie(that's what I think you should get).

If you are getting your Beast and Katana out at the same distances as your Valkyrie then you need to stick with it for right now.

I know getting new discs is great.If you can't throw a higher speed driver no farther than your slower speed distance driver at the moment then you shouldn't be throwing it...yet.

100% correct :thmbup:

Latest posts