• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

where did you order it from? Looks as if something heavy was stacked on it at the post office maybe?

I ordered it from discgolfcenter. I've never had any problems with them before.

Easily fixed. Boil water, let it sit a few seconds and pour it over the inverted disc in a bowl or cake pan. Let it rest for a minute or two. Pull the disc out, push the dome back to original position and run under cold water. Just used the trick last week.

This will even work with Blizzard discs?

i hit to many trees think theses discs will get trashed way to easy banging into trees?
They're Champion plastic, so I expect them to be pretty durable and change flight characteristics relatively slowly.

IMO, light discs do not roll well because they bounce around too easily. Heavy discs will tend to roll over obstacles and keep going while light stuff seems to pop off the ground and lose a bunch of speed. I haven't thrown mine on roller lines yet, but I don't think that I will have much success.
The lower rotational inertia of lighter discs means it's takes less force to change their angular velocity than heavier discs (i.e their spin slows down much faster than heavier discs upon any sort of contact).

I want Innova to crank out some mega light Blizzard Firebirds sooooooo bad. A 110g Firebird could be the best overhand disc ever, IMO.

Threw a 150 bliz boss so freakin far its not even funny. Once ppl figure out how to snap it its going to be in so many bags. the underatable ones suck

Just got a 138 Blizz Wraith in the mail today (Thanks to The Disc Golf Guy), and I was ripping it with ease out in the field across from my house. I'm really not too sure the distance, but I can normally hit pin height on holes 370-380' with my max weight wraith and can clear the field by my house from the baseball backstop to the playground equipment with a similar throw to those 370'ish pin seekers.

Well, throwing the blizz wraith today, I had to back up behind the backstop about another 60' and was still going past the playground equipment with a smooth, snappy release. It was an effortless throw, and I found that I was really capable of focusing on my direction of release and shaping the shot moreso than just focusing on trying to rip it. Oh, and today I was throwing in common Oklahoma wind of constant 15mph with 23ish gusts and the disc performed not much different than my max weight drivers. The only real difference I noticed was when I was throwing into the wind, I needed to focus on keeping the disc down as it was more than willing to climb to insane heights if I released it upwards at all. Keeping it low to the ground kept the flight really consistent.

This wraith is pretty domey, but it was surprisingly stable. I would say that it was more stable than my 3 month old, very mildly seasoned max wieght eco-star wraith. We'll see how that is when it starts to beat in, though. I snapped over a few intentional rollies with the disc and it was easy to put on a fast, straight line, but it did not handle hitting objects well at all. I hit a hard plastic irrigation hose with no wider a diameter than a garden hose, and that kicked the disc up into the air in a violent fashion and the disc shot straight up in a tumble and ended up about 5' away from the hose. I thought it was promising up until that point as it was easy to line up, snap into a roll, and to control, but even the slightest obstacles in the road make this disc do some wacky stuff.

I'm anxious to play a round with this disc and see how I handle it on the course. So far from just throwing it in the field, I'm really confident and comfortable throwing it. I'm kind of stoked to give it a run doing the real thing.

I think I want to try one or two of these. I figure if nothing else, they could be good training aids, because it seems like it takes good mechanincs to get it to snap out on line? Now the question is, which one or ones do I try and what weights?

I've only thrown a 138 Boss, once. It went ok, wasn't a great throw, a little bit of a late release jerked it off line and it clipped a limb.

I forgot to say that I was amazed with how fast this disc travels. When it begins fading, it does so rapidly and the skips are pretty gnarly. This might be an issue with me not flipping it over enough and not getting the max flight out of the speed I'm able to get, but those skips were impressive. The disc didn't so much move around substantially more in the air than a max weight, though it did move around more, it just did so quickly. From the time it was turning over to the time it shifted back and started to fade was really quick and didn't "glide" into that movement. It more had a long consistent, but somewhat jerky turn, then just bit and yanked into its fade in a pretty sharp motion. Then the impressive skips shortly followed. I thought this was pretty interesting.

They're touchier than heavier discs, which means form flaws will be magnified. It's a lot harder to throw OAT free, and it's harder to get as much spin when throwing forehand, so they're definitely tougher to control if you don't have clean forehand form. That said, if you do work on clean, smooth throws, there's the same extra distance potential with these throwing forehand or backhand.

I'm inclined to agree. I know it's a pet theory that bubbles in the flight plate equals a more gyroscopic disc, but this doesn't necessarily pan out in the real world. It's a big assumption that if you can see significantly more bubbles in the plate that there is enough of a difference in weight distribution to make the disc more gyroscopic as compared to disc with no visible bubbles in the plate.

Based on what I've seen so far, the list of things about a disc that affect its flight, in descending order of importance, looks something like this:

1. Mold
2. PLH
3. Weight
4. Condition
5. Plastic
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. Bubble location

Ok Im gonna sound like an idiot but what is PLH?

Are these discs as good for forehand as backhand?

While they can be good for forehand, if your form is good, they are not as good forehand as backhand for most people. See below for a quote from Dave on the PDGA board:

So far, I can only see three disadvantages and at least four advantages. The disadvantages are: they don't penetrate leaves and other foliage as well, they don't forgive poor throwing (flutter) as well, they may not be as good in the wind, (although this has not been shown yet). So far, any wind disadvantage seems to be tied to flutter. And, also tied to flutter is that they don't work as well for side arms because it is too easy to flutter. ... They don't forgive poor throwing (flutter aka off axis torque). This again is simply due to less weight and not, to any great extent, the bubble distribution. All lighter discs have less torque resistance.

Odd that I typically throw a 158 CE Firebird FH hard with good results, but I can't match it with the Blizzard Destroyer or Boss.

Odd that I typically throw a 158 CE Firebird FH hard with good results, but I can't match it with the Blizzard Destroyer or Boss.

That's not odd at all. It's completely in line with what you'd expect. Beefy Firebirds are more overstable and torque resistant than all but a few discs. All the molds that Innova released in the Blizzard line are speed stable distance drivers that are supposed to have some high speed turn.

In any event, these Blizzard discs are not as easy to throw forehand as their heavier counterparts.

Just got my 145g blizzard wraith last night and I must say that I am worried. I have yet to throw it, but it is super domey and the bubbles are almost popping through at the top surface of the rim. Also, the PLH is quite lower than three other wraiths I compared it to. Should I send it back or are the shape differences normal and part of how blizzard tech flies like heavier discs. With all of the differences, I think they should have come up with a new name for this thing. Then again, it is easier to market a new version of an already popular disc. the pic is poor quality, sorry

Attachments

• blizzard wraith.jpg
    blizzard wraith.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts