• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

I watched my partner in the ice bowl throw a 168 pro katana in the water, and it floated, due to trapping air underneath it... Just cuz a 150 floated once, doesn't mean it will exertions

let me clarify, it hit a tree, rolled and landed face down in the water after skipping over a curb. so that wasn't the case here.

These discs have me wanting to try more light weight drivers. I have a 150 JK Valk, and a 150 DX TeeBird. I almost bought a 148 Champ Eagle today.

These light weight discs are just so easy to make go. People talk about less accurate, but it's not really making sense to me. If I can throw something with considerably less effort and get the same or more distance, seems like to me I'm more likely to have as good or better accuracy.

All of my main drivers are 160-166. The lighter you go, the more obvious your form flaws will be if you have them. I think that is where the less accurate is coming in. I was throwing in 20 mph winds today, and my 163 teebird was holding up just fine. One of my favorite drivers is a 160 starfire. I can easily throw it 50 feet farther than say a 168.

I have to say, I was weary of trying the Blizz Boss at first, but I'm glad I got one. I am consistantly gaining 30' to 40' on holes i used to struggle with. Sometimes more distance even. :thmbup:

I've been working more with my 156 Bosses. They do not seem as versatile as I was hoping initially. I'm really good at throwing them long and straight with fade, or turned over on a huge distance line. However, I can't seem to get consistent results on other lines too much yet.

I've been working more with my 156 Bosses. They do not seem as versatile as I was hoping initially. I'm really good at throwing them long and straight with fade, or turned over on a huge distance line. However, I can't seem to get consistent results on other lines too much yet.

Hit a few trees and some pavement and you'll be golden. :thmbup:

I thought the bubbles were the way to get these warp speed drivers down in weight. Kind of makes me think it's all a gimmick since I now have a warp speed driver at 150 with no bubbles. Proves that they don't need cool little bubbles to get to those weights

Some of them may contain micro-bubbles which are too small to see with the naked eye but under a microscope you would see them.

One thing to note.. I love throwing Blizz discs forehand. Backhand they're a little touchy because of the release issues I have with the big weight change, but I can FH these discs much better than I FH heavier discs. It really helps with utility shots.. in fact I flicked a Blizz Katana last weekend in a tournament where I had ABSOLUTELY no way to backhand out of the brush I was in, but was able to do a finesse flick and get myself within putting range.

Understable?

I just threw a friends 137g blizzard wraith today and man that thing was flippy. Are they all like this because of the weight? I normally throw a champ wraith for a nice long turning disc but that blizzard one just flipped right over today. I was looking at picking up a new blizzard boss but if they are all flippy I may just stick to the regular champ plastic.

The blizzard discs fly similar to the same mold 20g heavier, so those really light wraiths are pretty flippy. The 150ish wraiths are a little less flippy, but still fairly understable. The bosses have more stability, I've been throwing them even into moderate headwinds.

I have been having a lot of success with my 136g Boss - got it on a lark, but have found that for me(typical max golf D = 330-350') I can get an extra 40-50' out of it, and it's surprisingly predictable.

How hard/far are you guys throwing Wraiths for them to be flippy/understable?

My average drives were about 375' capping at around 400' at the end of last year, playing in the MN snow/slop this winter has dulled them down but better than staying inside all winter. A friend of mine has a star wraith that I liked as it flew quite overstable, I like the champion plastic feel better and got one of my own and that thing just turns forever and its not even all that broken in yet. All I use it for now are longer turning drives, release it flat and it stays flat but after about 50'-100' it starts to turn right and won't pull itself out of it unless I have quite a bit of air under it. Tried the same shot I use my wraith for on the local course(right after I threw mine actually) with that blizzard one and that thing slammed onto its side faster than a stingray does. :/

I really think they level of disc making has tapered off. Most stuff now seems to be gimmicky. It is still a money game no matter what the dg companies say.

I haven't heard a single disc golf company claim to not be a business trying to make money...