• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

Lol at some of these posts. Blizzard discs don't allow a hyzer noob to instantly throw 400'. They've added about 20' to my games...why not throw it?

If you don't like it don't throw it, but don't act like people that have blizzard discs would just suck without them. Chances are if someone can beat you with a blizzard disc, they can beat you without them.

You still need good form to throw them well.

By no means was I calling anyone who uses them a cheater lol I was just saying that blizzards as well as lighter weights take less effort to throw the same distance basically cheating lol not saying people who use them are cheaters but I guess I should have used better wording

Presumably you worked hard to be able to throw heavy discs far, and that is a great accomplishment. I just felt like pointing out that lighter discs are legal, and to encourage other players to experiment to see what works for them. Those max weight discs can be discouraging, especially for newer players.

Since there is already a 150 class limiting how heavy a disc can be, maybe a 170 class would be fun for players like you... limiting how light they can be.

Presumably you worked hard to be able to throw heavy discs far, and that is a great accomplishment. I just felt like pointing out that lighter discs are legal, and to encourage other players to experiment to see what works for them. Those max weight discs can be discouraging, especially for newer players.

Since there is already a 150 class limiting how heavy a disc can be, maybe a 170 class would be fun for players like you... limiting how light they can be.

I like that idea limiting higher level players to higher weigh discs that would be fun to try! I agree beginners should experiment with as much as possible different weights make the same disc do quite different things so it's worth a shot. They added about 30ft to my game too but i dont like the inconsistency

So, try throwing a lighter disc in wind and tell me how easy they are to throw. They may go farther, but they take more to control IMO. When I first started, I couldn't control light discs to save my life. Now I am starting to get the hang of it. That being said, I only have one Blizzard in my bag (just for Sh*ts and Giggles) and everything else is 168-175g.

This is too funny (and arrogant). I have used a KC 12x Star Wraith for quite a while at 164 grams. I added a 155 Bliz Wraith to my bag to try out, and it flys very nearly the same lines as my other wraiths, but runs about 15-20 feet longer.

So I am throwing the same mold, but 9 grams lighter, and that makes me a "cheater". :sick:

I also own a 162g Star Orc. Does that qualify as cheating too. It is pretty light for an Orc after all. :confused:

What about 150 class? Man, I guess they are all cheaters. :p

Seriously, this isn't discus or shot put, it is disc golf... All the bliz discs have done is gotten some people to try lighter weight discs. If you look at other molds with smaller rim depths, they already existed, but unfortunately a lot of developing players (myself included) tried throwing max weight assuming that was the "right" way to go.

Bliz discs are a good reminder that players should experiement for themselves to figure out not only which molds work for them, but what weight as well.

yes Yes YES!!!!

Max weight is a macho game and it has come to an end. Light weight discs have always been there - I was ripping 160 Star Katana's 2 years back further than my max weight friends. They all just thought I had a bigger arm.

Nope.

They added about 30ft to my game too but i dont like the inconsistency

Sorry to keep quoting you TSherm, but this is a good point. Golf is a game of trade-offs, and there certainly can be a price to pay with lighter weight discs, especially if you don't properly account for the conditions (like wind speed and direction).

But trade-offs and strategy, along with knowing your own skills, are what make this game so fun IMO. At the end of the day, we all step up to the tee pad alone, trying to account for as many factors as we can, picking our line and one disc from our arsenal, and then let it fly.

I would suggest that at almost any power level, there are holes where 20-30 feet is the difference between a longish putt inside the circle, versus a 50-60+ foot shot. Trying to decide when/if the conditions and hole are right for a certain shot or disc, what your range would be with different molds/weights/lines, if the perceived risk is worth it, and ultimately if you believe you can save a stroke... wow, now we are playing some golf! :)

well I think people who use heavier discs is cheating because they handle wind better and its cheating cause i can't throw heavier discs as far....:p

can't this whining go the other way as well

Sorry to keep quoting you TSherm, but this is a good point. Golf is a game of trade-offs, and there certainly can be a price to pay with lighter weight discs, especially if you don't properly account for the conditions (like wind speed and direction).

But trade-offs and strategy, along with knowing your own skills, are what make this game so fun IMO. At the end of the day, we all step up to the tee pad alone, trying to account for as many factors as we can, picking our line and one disc from our arsenal, and then let it fly.

I would suggest that at almost any power level, there are holes where 20-30 feet is the difference between a longish putt inside the circle, versus a 50-60+ foot shot. Trying to decide when/if the conditions and hole are right for a certain shot or disc, what your range would be with different molds/weights/lines, if the perceived risk is worth it, and ultimately if you believe you can save a stroke... wow, now we are playing some golf! :)

That was very well said! :thmbup:

The blizzards are growing on me. Everytime I go out to doubles, someone is trying to get me to throw one. I threw a teedevil today, and it is probably my favorite so far. I will probably still stick with the TL's in the woods,but I think I may add a blizzard to the bag for the more open holes. I threw 3 really solid drives with my main drivers, and then threw the destroyer and teedevil. They both went about 20 feet farther.

I throw a blizzard boss around 320-350, flat release and probably around 15 feet off the ground. I can throw my Katana's and Vulcon the same distance. I see just about everybody saying blizzard technology allows them to throw farther, so why cant I? I get a video of my throw soon.

I don't know that blizzards add extra D for everybody. But I think one major thing is that it could be the same D with less effort. If you throw driver 'A' 350' at full power & throw blizzard driver 'B' the same length at 80% power, I can see the advantage

I throw a blizzard boss around 320-350, flat release and probably around 15 feet off the ground. I can throw my Katana's and Vulcon the same distance. I see just about everybody saying blizzard technology allows them to throw farther, so why cant I? I get a video of my throw soon.

15 feet is much too high for a distance driver. A boss on a flat throw doesn't more than 6-8 feet tops.

Blizzards are cheating. 13 speed discs are cheating. Max weight discs are cheating. MVP is cheating.

The PDGA should make 1 uniform disc and weight, that way everybody is equal and nobody can complain.

All sanctioned events must take place in an indoor arena so that the environmental conditions can be controlled.

Blizzards are cheating. 13 speed discs are cheating. Max weight discs are cheating. MVP is cheating.

The PDGA should make 1 uniform disc and weight, that way everybody is equal and nobody can complain.

All sanctioned events must take place in an indoor arena so that the environmental conditions can be controlled.

I f'n lol'd.

Awesome, made my day! :clap:

15 feet is much too high for a distance driver. A boss on a flat throw doesn't more than 6-8 feet tops.

What? 15 feet is to high for a distance driver? Quite the generalization.

15 feet is actually pretty high up an lots of people underestimate how high 15 is. Imagine yourself standing on top of a basketball hoop and your disc passing by your chin. That is a high trajectory line no matter what. Sure, sometimes that line is desirable, but typically throwing controlled distance line that high will lead to stall and heavy finishing fade.

FWIW, I'm willing to bet dkoz is keeping it lower than 15 feet.

Latest posts