• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

Okay, as of today, I've thrown blizzard, and I've watched others throw blizzard, and I can now say --- they suck. These discs do NOT have the stability of their heavier versions. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. Our 134g Wraith and 134g Katana flip over like no other.

Do they go really really really far if you throw them with a tailwind and throw them very softly and with lots of hyzer and lots of snap? Yes. But so do ANY 150-class disc.

Wow. Total bunch of hype.

Oh, save your typing -- I know, I know -- I just don't have any skill, right? Yeah, I'm sure that's it. You're right. I'm wrong. Congrats.

Most people who have said they are just as stable are saying they are stable compared to 20g heavier non-blizzard discs. A 134g blizzard would be compared to a 154g. I have a 156g blizzard Katana that is more stable than my Z Nuke (156g blizzard would compare to a 176g regular Katana). I don't think you are lacking skill (Please save your sarcasm). Just don't say they suck until you have thrown a 155g blizzard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the big advantage of the 150 range blizzards is that they're in champ plastic and will last longer than the 150 dx and r-pro discs that people have already been using?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the big advantage of the 150 range blizzards is that they're in champ plastic and will last longer than the 150 dx and r-pro discs that people have already been using?

That, and a 150 Blizzard, is more stable that a 150 of the same disc in dx

so I have ordered about 40 Blizzard discs for the local club and am wondering why some of the Katana's seem to be clear with no apparent bubbles while others clearly have bubbles. Can someone explain this? Same weight different appearance, why?

The advantage is not just that a Blizzard is more durable. It will also fly more like its heavier counterpart, unlike a "regular" plastic 150.

so I have ordered about 40 Blizzard discs for the local club and am wondering why some of the Katana's seem to be clear with no apparent bubbles while others clearly have bubbles. Can someone explain this? Same weight different appearance, why?

The ones that look clear have tiny bubbles in the rim that are hard to see.

Okay, as of today, I've thrown blizzard, and I've watched others throw blizzard, and I can now say --- they suck. These discs do NOT have the stability of their heavier versions. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. Our 134g Wraith and 134g Katana flip over like no other.

Do they go really really really far if you throw them with a tailwind and throw them very softly and with lots of hyzer and lots of snap? Yes. But so do ANY 150-class disc.

Wow. Total bunch of hype.

Oh, save your typing -- I know, I know -- I just don't have any skill, right? Yeah, I'm sure that's it. You're right. I'm wrong. Congrats.

Someone needs to take a midol. That 134 Katana is going to have the stabilty of a 154 Katana, which of course means flippy. Perhaps if you had read the thread and been smarter about the discs you purchased, or maybe purchased one understable and one overstable disc to try out, you wouldn't be so quick to judge and wouldn't type out a silly little ignorant post like that without really testing the discs properly.

I take no issue with your skills, just your reading comprehension and/or critical thinking.

Moving on from the unnecessary hostility, let's talk about results.

I bought a 130s destroyer and Katana. My friend threw the Destroyer first, and it went about 50' farther than his other destroyers go. It was effing amazing.

I don't throw as far as he does, and usually dont throw anything faster than a Teebird. I used the Katana. I threw it three times on the course. All three throws were some of the longest throws I've ever had, and actually straightened out, where normally if threw a 13 speed it's just a giant hyzer.

We are both absolutely sold and will be ordering at least 2-4 more each.

I am not sure if Blizzard technology is here to stay or a fad.

My max D driver is a mildly seasoned 168g Pro Katana. They don't last too long before they beat in to the point where they can only used for upshots or tailwind drives. I thought the Blizzard may have the same performance but last a lot longer before they needed "retired". I bought a 150g Blizzard Katana and my inital impression was this disc flew just like my 168g Pros.

So I bought a 2nd Blizzard katana, 158g. I thought this would be slightly more stable to used in slight headwinds (like a brand new Pro). The new disc was significantly less stable than the 150g. On the first throw I turned it and put it into a trailer park on the other side of the road. The 150g flew straight down the fairway. The domes on the two discs appear similar, if not identical. The only difference is the distribution of air bubbles. The 150g has air bubbles throughout both flight plate and rim. The 158g has air bubbles only in rim. Could the bubble distribution have that big of an effect?

Anybody else have the same experience?

Ohhhhh! I didn't know that -- I hadn't read all 100 pages. Actually glad to hear we aren't crazy.

Just saw this thread. I won't read all the pages but thought I would offer my experience with this disc. I have a 157 Blizzard Katana and it is NOT flippy unless I am into a headwind. In relatively moderate conditions I have no problem with it flipping on me. When I am not having knee or back pain and my form is decent the disc is remarkably stable for me and glides well. My only trouble is hitting my release point with a disc that much lighter than the low 170's that I normally throw. I tend to pull it to the right a lot.

A Katana was never intended for a headwind. And least of all a 158g.

The ones you can't see the bubbles in is what innova is apparently going for in the molding process.

Been throwing a 154g BBoss and one thing I like about it vs my 175g boss is the fact that if my release is a little off, it'll still get pretty good distance. Close to the same stability, more distance, more forgiving, love it.

I am not sure if Blizzard technology is here to stay or a fad.

They are here to stay in my bag at least. Over the last several months I have found myself discing up on a few holes because it's simply just easier to get the shot I want with a driver. Now I've found myself discing up from a Teebird to the Blizzard Wraiths I have, because it's even easier to throw them on the same shot. They swing a little wider usually, but still work much better with the same or less effort.

Now all I need to do is figure out if Innova is gonna keep them around awhile, or do I need to start hoarding now? :D

Wiggins already unofficially broke the record with a blizzard, I'm looking forward to seeing if the innova guys throw blizzards in the desert this year.

I went shopping for my Blizzard Boss after reading in this thread that Innova wants the bubbles to be relatively concentrated in the flight plate rather than the rim. I can see how they want the bubbles as small as possible as well, maybe even microscopic, like the air bubbles in Ivory soap. I would expect the distribution of the bubbles (how far they are from the center) to affect the stability of the disc.

So I shopped for a 150g Boss with visible bubbles in the flight plate, but I didn't want the bubbles too big, since I was worried about the plastic opening up where the bubbles are and forming holes through the flight plate. I saw a wide range of specimens in my local store, from no visible bubbles at all (probably microscopic) to big bubbles like you see from condensation on the side of a frosty glass of Coke. I saw them way out on the rim, packed into the flight plate, some of both, etc. I also saw a few of those extra-domey Destroyers in the store, and both the store's owner and I were curious about how that deformation affects the discs' flight. We only saw that in the Destroyers.

The Boss I chose was just over 150g with lots of visible but small bubbles (like fizz in a carbonated drink) distributed evenly through the flight plate. I also chose one with a relatively low "parting line height." I didn't want to go down to the 130-something discs, which I thought was a bit extreme for my first Blizzard disc.

Before playing a round, I threw it some in a field, and my first impression was the same happy amazement that others are reporting: EXTREMELY fast take-off and long glide that result in a significant and consistent distance increase over my other long drivers. My Blizzard Boss is definitely more understable than a new Star Boss, but I have a Star Boss in the bag that I have beaten to more understable than the new 150g B-Boss. My 150 B-Boss seems to take a line more like a 170g Star Valkyrie, but it goes farther with less effort. It will hold a suprisingly low anhyzer line for over 350' for me, but beyond that it tends to want to pull out of the turn. Its HSS is distinctly understable, but it turns over gradually and smoothly, rather than the hard flip you often see in something like a Sidewinder. It is also fairly consistent in expressing its LSS at the end of its flight, which makes it easier to trust than a more understable mold.

The only negative I have found in throwing this disc is that it tends to come out of my hand late. This makes it hard for me to throw a hyzer line with it, though I expect with practice I will get a feel for it. Otherwise I'm really excited to have it in my bag, as it opens up scoring opportunities on long holes that I didn't previously hope for. This disc makes me begin to wonder when the PDGA will start limiting the technological advances in disc manufacture. I would be surprised if the distance records aren't soon taken over by Blizzard discs.

Last edited: