• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bored bag post

JoshEpoo

* Ace Member *
This is my set up. 16-18 discs, 12 molds. I use all Discraft and Innova but only for lack of knowledge about other discs. I see a lot of people saying good things about all the companies out there. If you swear by a particular disc by a different company and think I should add it, or replace something I'm using, feel free to chime in.

172 12x KC Pro Aviar x2
170 DX Aviar
175 D Zone

174 ESP Hornet
171 Z Buzz x2
173 ESP Meteor; trouble shots/rollers/super high anys

173 Star Eagle-X
175 Champ Teebird x2; straight/turnover

170 Z Pred x2-4

174 Z Force
174 Z Nuke
174 Older sweet flippy Z-ish ESP Surge

Been using this set up since the Nuke came out. It's been working well. I'm fairly attached to it. Covers most of the bases. The Predators are varied from very overstable to heavily scarred and flippy. There are a few niche shots I don't always carry in the bag, most of which involve a super understable high speed disc.

Looks good but if you find you need something between the Hornet and the Buzzz and a Wasp is too much a Glo Z Buzzz is more LSS than Z Buzzzes and handles winds a little better thanks to a smidge more HSS. Where you really can get improvements is Prodiscus Jokeri i prefer the primo plastic because it still has good enough grip. That would either compliment or replace your Aviars and that is a tall order but Jokeri is a top flight disc.

I'm interested to try the Jokeri. Is it only available through shipping from Europe right now?

If there are any plans of them becoming available in the US I would prefer to pick one up at GGGT so I could fondle it first.

As for that gap in my mids, my D Zone is beating in nicely. I've been surprised how nice it flies. It's similar to a new DX Roc that's 25'-75' shorter, has a low profile, and skips/spikes more at the end. I could still use a Wasp, Roc, or more stable Buzz though. I may pick up a KC Pro Roc and use that for the rest of winter until I can search out a nice feeling piece of premium plastic for that slot.

How do R Pro Rocs stand up in the winter? I've never thrown R Pro plastic but it seems like it's designed for cold weather play: floppy, tacky, etc...

I haven't even held an R-Pro Roc. I throw FLX Buzzz in the winter for great grip. MN probably ain't too different from Finnish weather in the winter generally.

As far as i know Jokeri is available only in Finland at the moment. Getting Jokeri from Finland is easiest by sending a private message to vesakai here at DGR. The site that he's at may not have been translated to English yet. It is www.kiekkopiste.fi He posted the prices in USD a while ago for one and two discs delivered to the US but he wrote he's had contacts so the Jokeri may be available locally somewhere in the States eventually.

I don't throw Rocs that far (usually 260'-290' topping in golf at 305' with a few freak shots getting out a few feet father in field practice) but the ESP Zone to Roc separation was way less than 75' for me last fall.

I'd imagine we live in similar climates. Average highs in January are about -4C to -7C and we've got about 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. Very very dry air during winter. Not sure how much Finland's proximity to the ocean and several large seas affects the water vapor content of the air but I would imagine you see stronger winds.

The Zone is noticeably shorter in the winter because it's a low flying disc that often takes a nice skip on drives and long approaches. All our tee pads are 1-3 feet lower than the playing surface because of the snow and you get no skips (sans a heavily trampled area with no powder). The Zone doesn't see much action during the winter except for forehand approaches because the KC Pro is very versatile.

I don't play in heavy winds during the winter anyway because it adds that piercing, biting cold quality to the air.

Got a handful of black 169-175g firm SS Wizards for free. They feel nice in the cold, fly basically the same as my KCs, and stand out in the snow better. Added 2 of them to the bag for [at least] the remainder of winter.

Also pulled a couple Preds and added a beat up 11x KC Pro Gazelle and DX Eagle for controlled standstills in awkward snowy lies.

172 12x KC Pro Aviar x2; thrower, putter, the white plastic is back in the bag...F you snow
170 DX Aviar; flippy
175 D Zone; been throwing it for a year now and it keeps getting better. Versatile approach disc, really like it.

174 ESP Hornet; I want to like it but I don't reach for it often. I'd like to try an Opto Pain this spring.
171 Z Buzzz; stable
173 ESP Buzzz; flippy
173 ESP Meteor; super flipper

175 Champ Eagle-X; replaced my star with this guy as it was losing some stability
175 Champ Teebird x2; stable/flippy
169 Champ Eagle-L; fliptastic, old favorite of mine that I put back in the bag now that spring is looming

172 Z Pred
172 Z Avenger; new to the bag, auditioning for the spot my beat Preds normally occupy.
174 Z Force
174 Z Nuke
174 ESP Surge; older champy-star like plastic, looooong smooth turnovers

Bag is pretty much the same as it's been for a year and a half. Few tweaks here and there. Staring at a week of 50 degree temps so the courses are going to get sluuuuussshhy but spring is coming. Hopefully the fairway flooding doesn't render the courses unplayable.

It's been nearly a full season of disc, and I'm happy to look back and realize that my only significant loss this year was the beat ESP Buzzz, in the water, at Acorn, on hole 1. I did however, retire a few discs: the D Zone got gashed up from a few vicious collisions with metal, the ESP Surge became redundant, and the Avenger just sucked.

Bag is nearly the same:
KCP Aviar x2
DX Aviar
ESP Zone

Hornet
Z Buzzz x2
Meteor

Eagle-X
Eagle-L
Teebird x2

Z Pred x1-2
ESP/Z Force x2-3
Z Nuke x2

During the winter, mostly out of necessity, I primarily throw standstills and forehands. I will be shelving my normal set up and auditioning a simple bag based on the PD, Roadrunner, Axis, and Ion. Probably throw a new Meteor in with that group.

It's been an awesome winter for disc. Weather has been unreal. I switched up my grip a bit, mostly based on observations of Nikko's and Jussi's throws. In the past, I was using an above the seam grip with almost all the pressure generated by the pinch between index and thumb. I'd always been a little unhappy with my grip but wasn't sure how to fix it.

I've gone to an in the seam grip with more pressure pushing into my palm by my middle and ring finger. I use the Bonapane grip to get the disc situated in the seam and nose down, then do the Jussi/Nikko style "trigger grip" type thing where I slide my index finger underneath and lock it into the rim to use it as the rip point before I go into my reach back. It's helped a lot with wrist tension/extension, grip pressure, and nose angle control. Been smashing the shit out of my drives but I can't grip really wide winged discs very well with this method.

174 Z Force - beefy
175 Champ Wraith
168 Pro Wraith

170 Z Pred - flat, sorta gummy, beefy
175 CPD+ - faster Eagle-X, enjoying this disc
170 PPD - seasoned, turnovers
175 Champ TB - super stable/straight
170 Champ TB - beat, flies a lot like the PPD but more durable
175 Star Roadrunner - new toy, some overlap with the beat TB and PPD but the glide and slow turn seem unparalleled

180 FLX Drone
175 M Ion - I mostly use it for overstable approaches and drives, still experimenting with using it as a putter
175 CryZtal Buzzz - ultra straight and neutral
172 ESP Meteor - seasoned, real flippy

170 DX Aviar - touch approaches, short turnover drives, very long putts, most thrown disc probably
2x 172 KC Pro Aviar - one seasoned up, one fairly new

Experimenting with a Blizzard Boss too. It's great fun to throw but may see limited action on the course.

Feeling pretty comfortable with my game and messing around with new stuff. steady gave me some Millenium discs when we played BRP recently and I've been trying 'em out.

175 Star Destroyer-fresh, overstable
150 Blizzard Destroyer-little turn, little fade, fun to throw, doesn't have the huge dome that some of these do
175 Champ Wraith-seasoned, most neutral distance driver
169 Star Archon-hyzer flipper, got some dome, max D

170 Z Predator
175 C PD-seasoned up a bit
175 Star Valkyrie-splits the difference between the PD and Roadrunner nicely
175 Star Roadrunner-I've grown to really like this disc. So easy to hyzer flip on long slow turnovers in the woods.
175 QJLS-stable
175 SJLS-understable

180 Q-sent-fresh, flat, overstable, I dig it
177 Vector-stable with a predictable slow fade, I like it more than the other mids with which I've tried to fill this slot.
175 Cryztal Buzzz-seasoned to neutral
172 ESP Meteor-beat

170 DX Aviar PnA-beat to shit, long putter, favorite short approach disc
170 DX Classic Aviar-neutral driver and approach, surprisingly stable
172 KC Pro Aviar-heavily seasoned, main putter

That Archon ain't a max D disc compared what else is available. Mine ain't great for less than max D so at your power i'm astonished you've picked it up and especially for max D. It is good to know that at least some Bliz Destros aren't dump faders but again it may be the power difference between us that makes the difference. The Valk seems redundant and will become even more so as the PD breaks in more.

My Archon has more dome than most which seems to bump up the stability a bit and give a more glide-y finish (flatter ones seem to flip hard and lack glide). It suits my tailwind distance driving well. I can throw it on a hyzer, it will elevate and turn through the apex, but doesn't fade left early or dive right. I can get a full flight with a higher apex at a better percentage than a beat Nuke. I often still favor a Nuke or Blizzard Boss in no wind or crosswind, but I've not been carrying them lately, instead just using the Destroyers.

The Valk is there for hyzer flips that can finish left, where the Roadrunner will pretty much always finish right unless I power it down to below 350', but it's one of the less important discs in my game. I often use it as a water disc :D

The Roadrunner is a 400'+ straight hyzer flipper. Markus Källström loves them and he throws you know faaaar. My Archon is very domey so you have a one that is halfway to be the top half of a bubble then? :)

So, why don't you like the Archon? For me it's super easy to control and bombs. Mine does not have a huge dome, just a moderate one. Many of the stars Archons I've seen have been too flat.

Of course Markus can throw a Roadrunner far. I can throw a nice hyzer flip 400' that finishes straight or right, but I can't get it to finish left unless I power it down well below 350', which is why I carry the Valk!

My Archon flips hard and fades too hard while being too slow for best distance. See Destroyer is as fast but doesn't flip as hard fading only a hair more so it is way more golfable and controllable. Destro is better in the winds also because of the thinner profile allows it to cut through headwind first. Boss is faster and flips way less flying farther with skips often but the Boss is way more golfable controllable disc even in some winds. Good Kings and Nukes not to mention Bliz Bosses leave the Archon in the dust distance wise on average. Sure once in a blue moon with proper landing forward skips of the Archon even out things but many courses reduce skips so the Archon is left less reliable, accurate, consistent and is shorter and gets raped by the winds. What's to like in an Archon? If that type of flight is desireable how about a Vulcan possibly a lighter than max weight one?

Throwing the Roady higher allows it to fade from flat. It isn't designed for fades though so other discs would be better for that and at your power PDs and Preds are nice.

Another fun season of warm weather disc golf has passed. Going to a cold weather setup for a while.

150 Blizzard Destroyer - small dome, general purpose

175 ESP Predator
175 S PD
170 P PD - still fresh
172 Champ Valkyrie
171 Echo Star Roadrunner

175 Star Eagle
170 Star TeeBird
169 Champ Leopard - flatter, stable/neutral
169 Champ EL - seasoned, lots of turn
170 DX EX - beat, standstills, powered down stuff, crazy flip shots

179 FLX Drone
177 Ti Wasp
179 Cryztal Buzzz
175 Z Comet

170/175 KC Pro Aviars
175 Yeti Aviar
168 DX Classic Aviar

We got a foot of snow this weekend so it's survival time. I'm using a small bag. Lightens the load and simplifies the game. Pullin' the regulars out of rotation for now.

158 Blizzard Destroyer - little turn, slow fade, good glide, easy to control in shitty conditions
168 Pro Destroyer - flippy 'n grippy, easiest distance in the cold
170 Star Starfire - overstable driver

175 Champ TB - flatty, fugly orange/inked flight plate that's hard to see on dirt or leaves
174 Volt - flies similar to a fresh Eagle-L for me, didn't make the regular bag but it's serviceable
170 DX EX - beat

170 D Zone - seasoned
175 X Buzzz - newish
175 D Buzzz - seasoned
175 SS Wizard x 2 - newish/seasoned, general purpose winter putters

Been having a hard time filling out my Xmas list this year too. Might throw some Vibram stuff on there. I'm curious to see how the drivers and mids perform in the wintry conditions. I've thrown the Ascent and Obex in the past and was pleasantly surprised by the flight and feel but never bothered to buy any for myself. I'm fairly resistant to change, but only because it seems like most discs work fine and I don't see a reason to change. However, if the Ibex and Trak still glide and grip well in the cold, it might be a nice core of discs to build a winter bag around, and they might be able to sneak into my regular setup.

Spring 2013 is here, though you wouldn't know it by stepping outside around here...:x I took off all of January and February, partly because of the crappy winter weather this year, but also to focus on conditioning. Been getting back into the swing of things the last couple weeks. Picked up a few toys over the winter. Not sure how they all fit in the bag once things heat up, but for now I'm really enjoying the feel & flight of the Vibrams.

Distance Drivers
171 VIP Giant
175 Star Destroyer
175 Star Wraith
167 Firm Lace
171 Champion Tern

Fairway/Control
170 Z Predator
173 Medium Ascent
171 Champion Eagle-X
175 Champion Teebird x2
172 Star Teebird x2
171 Echo Star Roadrunner

Mid-Range
179 FLX Drone
180 Champion Roc3
175 Medium Ibex
175 Z Comet

Short Game
175/170 KC Pro Aviar
175 Yeti Pro Aviar
172/170 DX Aviar P&A

Here's to another healthy, fun, successful year of disc golf....huzzah :!:

I didn't fall in love with any of the molds I was trying out so I threw 'em in the trade bin and stuck in a bunch of old regulars. The only exception is perhaps the Giant. Its got a nice blend of stability and glide for a wind fighter.

VIP Giant
Star Destroyer x2
Star Wraith x3

Champ Firebird
C PD
Teebirds: Champ x2, Star x1
Echo* Roadrunner

FLX Drone
Q Sentinel
Z Buzzz x2
ESP Meteor

KC Pro Aviar x2