• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I wish more videos had tips thrown in like the one Brodie mentions about aiming for the bottom of the band when putting uphill. Or of course the tip about throw higher when throwing uphill (that came from the other guy).

Hearing those nuggets even if you know them is nice, also like the talk about different shot selections and why they may have chosen what they did or would do different next time.

I wish more videos had tips thrown in like the one Brodie mentions about aiming for the bottom of the band when putting uphill. Or of course the tip about throw higher when throwing uphill (that came from the other guy).

Hearing those nuggets even if you know them is nice, also like the talk about different shot selections and why they may have chosen what they did or would do different next time.

I've heard Paul do this too on one of their vids - mentioned opening up your stance when throwing BH uphill. I had that problem for years and just thought I wasn't throwing hard enough, even tho now it seems obvious as well.

In one of the videos I believe he mentioned he wasn't working due to Covid, and there would be more videos coming out as a result? Logical thing would be that he got a job that needed him to relocate, and as a result needed out of whatever part ownership he might have had? Brodie offers to hop in, or was offered in, NDA's in place so the dollar amounts or percent ownerships aren't public?

Doesn't seem too far fetched to me?

And why do you not believe Brodie? Would you have been so quick to not believe Zach if he was the first one you read that said that about the NDA?

I don't get a lot of people assuming something really bad happened or being so cynical about this. Couldn't it just be something as simple as the owners voted to match Brodie's incoming infusion to up the ante in making Foundation a bigger company and Zach didn't/couldn't match and wanted to keep that quiet? Or maybe he didn't want to go discraft exclusive (which I think seems to fly in the face of foundations stated purpose of growing the sport) Or maybe Zach got a job offer somewhere and for some reason that has to be kept quiet on request of the new employer?

It could be a lot of things, and quite possibly nothing "bad" for any of the parties involved.

I believe I read somewhere where Hunter and/or Paul said they didn't want to do the NDA but out of respect for Zach they did.

As far as who asked for the NDA, apparently Zach did say he asked for it, and is moving to Texas:

Screenshot_20200614-082416_Discord.jpg

In one of the videos I believe he mentioned he wasn't working due to Covid, and there would be more videos coming out as a result? Logical thing would be that he got a job that needed him to relocate, and as a result needed out of whatever part ownership he might have had? Brodie offers to hop in, or was offered in, NDA's in place so the dollar amounts or percent ownerships aren't public?

Doesn't seem too far fetched to me?

NDAs, generally speaking, are specific about what can't be disclosed.

An NDA doesn't have to preclude Zach making a final "I've loved Foundation, but I need to leave" video. But this NDA apparently precludes both parties from disclosing why Zach left.

Given that the account (which could be Zach, but also could have been created by anyone) says "follow my Instagram", logically you'd expect some update regarding this on the Instagram. I've been waiting to see if that happens.

I note also, you are posting a screen cap that seems to have been created by Brodie. I'm not even sure where that is coming from. Did he post it somewhere?

Given that the account (which could be Zach, but also could have been created by anyone) says "follow my Instagram", logically you'd expect some update regarding this on the Instagram. I've been waiting to see if that happens.

I note also, you are posting a screen cap that seems to have been created by Brodie. I'm not even sure where that is coming from. Did he post it somewhere?

(1)

A few times people have mentioned something like the bold above (added for emphasis)....do people really think Brodie would be dumb enough to risk being called a liar by Zach? Either when Brodie posted on Discord, on his own twitter account, etc. that Zack asked for the NDA? That Brodie would risk his reputation (and therefore finances) by publically stating Zach requested the NDA, and then even go so far as faking this screenshot? Somehow that doesn't seem worth the risk, but people like to be cynical about the craziest things.

(2)

The screencap came from Foundation's discord. Another member, who yes could have been yet another smurf account of Brodie's (for that matter, so could I?), grabbed it off of social media. Looks like twitter but I don't tweet so no clue if that is the case or not.

(3)

I wouldn't be watching Zach's Instagram for an update on the NDA/Foundation thing if that is what you meant....the man's request should be honored (leave it here or whatever he said).

Hopefully, since he seemed to be popular, Zach will be doing more in Disc Golf and Instagramming or Youtubing or whatever. Helping the sport is always nice.

However, if a person had just moved do a different state and started a job outside of disc golf I could see that person leaving their social media account activity go by the wayside for quite some time despite whatever good intentions they had.

(1)

Another member, who yes could have been yet another smurf account of Brodie's (for that matter, so could I?), grabbed it off of social media. Looks like twitter but I don't tweet so no clue if that is the case or not.

That appears to be a screen capture from YouTube. Possibly from the app on a phone, which was then trimmed down. It also appears to have been captured by Brodie himself. That, or at least someone who set their user icon to Brodie's icon. See an attached capture that I just grabbed off my phone. My icon is the Mii looking bald guy with a beard.

So, if Brodie didn't post it to the discord, and he also did not post that capture anywhere that someone else could grab it, well, it's another odd thing about the whole affair.

My point about a post on Zach's instagram is that ... we know that is Zach. If Zach wants to actually confirm he has no beef with Foundation, posting on his Instagram is the place to do it. The YouTube account specifically says that people should look at his Instagram and seems to be posted from an "egg" YouTube account with the no content, icon or history, or at least another account that I looked at that purported to be Zach was that way. That account at least doesn't have an icon, which you would expect from someone who was trying to make a living on social media.

As to whether Brodie would be dumb enough to say something that Zach could just contradict, the NDA might restrict Zach from contradicting it. We don't have the NDA, so we don't know what restrictions it puts on whom.

Anyway, if everything really is on the up and up, Zach would go a long way towards clearing the air by posting something on a verifiable social media account. That's what I would do if I were Zach and wanted everything to calm down. That's why I said I was looking at the Instagram to see if he would post something there. I'd personally prefer it, as I actually tend to like the content Brodie and Paul put out, but drama for the second time in less than a year leaves a sour taste behind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200622-142913_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200622-142913_YouTube.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
As to whether Brodie would be dumb enough to say something that Zach could just contradict, the NDA might restrict Zach from contradicting it. We don't have the NDA, so we don't know what restrictions it puts on whom.

It just seems reaching for far fetched things...Brodie lying, Brodie having smurf accounts, an NDA covering a future occurrence (Brodie saying Zach requested the NDA), etc. To justify Brodie as the bad guy in the whole Foundation thing when it seems like there are no real hard facts to justify anyone as the bad guy other the people's own perceptions and preconceived notions of what an NDA means and the change of ownership in a company.

There is no real info to make an informed decision about this whole thing, so it seems odd that people drop watching foundation's content or dislike Brodie over it. In the absence of facts it seems like confirmation bias or simply bias for some reason.

Which I guess I don't really care so not sure why I'm posting about it, I don't even know who Zach is or have much of an opinion (good or bad) about Brodie, he just seems to be putting most of the content out there right now. Maybe with the season getting back underway that'll change.

Zach should have asked for two NDAs the one they have already and a second one that would have prevented them from mentioning the NDAs.

Can we get back to arguing about how long it will take Brodie to get to 1000 rated?

I'm guessing June of 2021.

:popcorn:

I'm guessing June of 2021.

:popcorn:

Didn't he say by the end of this season/year in a recent video?

I find it interesting that everyone assumes he will be a top player. Does that mean any athlete on a semi-pro level could come to disc golf, put their time in, and be a top player? Maybe that is true of a lot of sports.

I know he did ultimate and that is throwing discs, but other ultimate players seem to not necessarily make the transition all the time.

But for your question....hmmm, shortened season, new this year and at least on videos making choices that I even know are not the best option...your June 2021 for overall rating seems reasonable. He'll probably have 1000 rated rounds this year though.

I find it interesting that everyone assumes he will be a top player. Does that mean any athlete on a semi-pro level could come to disc golf, put their time in, and be a top player? Maybe that is true of a lot of sports.

There is a video somewhere with Dave Feldberg talking about high level disc golfers. From what I remember he said that a lot of the top tier disc golfers were high level athletes in other sports before they chose to focus on disc golf.

I know he did ultimate and that is throwing discs, but other ultimate players seem to not necessarily make the transition all the time.

But for your question....hmmm, shortened season, new this year and at least on videos making choices that I even know are not the best option...your June 2021 for overall rating seems reasonable. He'll probably have 1000 rated rounds this year though.

Just having played Ultimate does not mean you're good at Ultimate. Nor does it mean you've actually spent all that much time throwing discs. There are players whose main purpose on the pitch is to sprint and catch discs long. It would of course be useful if they could throw well but it's not as important and they won't be called on to make as many throws regularly under pressure. My understanding is that Brodie was a handler for at least some of his career at the top of the game. A handler is expected to take on the main duties of throwing the disc, especially when conditions get tough or in difficult areas of the pitch. Also, since as a handler you pick up the disc in many set play situations the defense is on you like a rash and so you're asked to make throws in a split second in very tight positions, thread the needle, huck it 50-80m with no run up or even much of a wind up. You're also expected to make all sorts of types of throw so you'd better have a strong forehand, backhand and hammer at the very least. You need to be able to stall the disc, fire it low and hard etc. etc.

If you're the main handler in a team at the top of the sport your equivalent of a disc golf scramble game is already at the level of top DG pros.

To me it feels like Brodie is doing just that "putting his time in" and really doing the work

Most top level pros in a sport has to make training their lives, EVERYTHING in their lives revolves around training, eating and compete

It feels like many Discgolfers takes discgolf as a lifestyle more than a top level sport. .. but Brodie seems to take it very seriously

It feels like many Discgolfers takes discgolf as a lifestyle more than a top level sport. .. but Brodie seems to take it very seriously

Good point....I think in a video recently Paul said he has never seen anyone work as hard as Brodie in training. It obviously helps Brodie has the drive and means to do so as well, but it appears he does have a lot of dedication at the moment.

but it appears he does have a lot of dedication at the moment.

"At the moment" is the operative term.

I don't think he has the mentality to be anything other than an average pro golfer and I think he'll get bored.

He can't shut the f$&k up for more than 30 seconds, he's 32 and acts like a 16 year old.

He fits in with the obnoxious Eric Oakley and AJ Risley load mouth attention seeking fan fad, he's the bomb for a while and next year no one cares anymore.

We'll see. I gave him a chance and the more I see of him, the more annoyed I am.

Best of luck to him, but he's not selling me on any of the dark horse kool-aid gibberish.

"At the moment" is the operative term.

I don't think he has the mentality to be anything other than an average pro golfer and I think he'll get bored.

He can't shut the f$&k up for more than 30 seconds, he's 32 and acts like a 16 year old.

He fits in with the obnoxious Eric Oakley and AJ Risley load mouth attention seeking fan fad, he's the bomb for a while and next year no one cares anymore.

We'll see. I gave him a chance and the more I see of him, the more annoyed I am.

Best of luck to him, but he's not selling me on any of the dark horse kool-aid gibberish.

Having been a top player at Ultimate shows me he has enough of the mentality required to be a top pro golfer. The darkhorse kool-aid gibberish is him trying to bolster his income. I don't see how they are in competition with each other, whereas I can see how they complement each other. Perhaps you have a greater insight into psychology than me.

...He fits in with the obnoxious Eric Oakley and AJ Risley load mouth attention seeking fan fad, he's the bomb for a while and next year no one cares anymore.

If you dislike Risley, I recommend watching Round 1 of Challenge at the Goat Hill. Philo doesn't hold back in picking apart his form (bad rounding), disc selection (enforcer), and his decision making (OB mistakes every other hole).

Latest posts