• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

ugh brodie is another one of those "there's no such thing as spoilers in sports" people. it's one thing to think that, another thing to be a total dbag about it. I was kinda starting to come around to the guy again but the past few weeks have done a quick u-turn on that

You have two options. 1. Watch it live. 2. Avoid social media for 24 to 48 hours. That is all.

The first video with Paul and Simon was brutal.

...but I enjoy following the non-screaming, humble, eager to learn, hard working Brodie.

I think it very exciting to be able to follow the progress of someone basically starting from scratch with access to all the resources.

I've never seen anyone post, "Hey check out this cat video, it'll be the 76th best cat video you'll see this weekend".

I once had a person show me somewhere near that number of cat videos in ONE DAY. They can't all be in the top 10. And why make the situations totally parallel. I wasn't. Do you ever watch FPO coverage, btw?

You have two options. 1. Watch it live. 2. Avoid social media for 24 to 48 hours. That is all.

yea that one was my fault 100% - was trying to avoid spoilers while watching his stories and literally clicked forward one too many times. so definitely not his fault here, not trying to say or suggest that.

but there definitely can be spoilers in live sports because not everybody is able to watch things live. this isn't like a crazy fringe idea....

when you're watching soccer on NBC sports, there is this option to hide spoilers of other live matches:
4EbMMCI.png

an all time favorite ad:
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DBc/hyundai-2014-fifa-world-cup-because-futbol-avoidance

disc golf subreddit has a rule for not spoiling the results of a tournament in the title of a post for a week after the tournament: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/cc4r1o/tournament_spoiler_policy_no_spoilers_within_two/

I'm a fan of rocket league, and the subreddit recently instituted something of a 24 hour anti-spoiler rule: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeag..._update_no_specific_results_in_titles_within/

you can act like you're 100% right and everybody else is being ridiculous, but then you're just a jerk

I once had a person show me somewhere near that number of cat videos in ONE DAY. They can't all be in the top 10. And why make the situations totally parallel. I wasn't. Do you ever watch FPO coverage, btw?

No I don't. I respect all women but the pro disc golfers are not good enough to watch. Their constant scoring spread shows that, for one.

Now post how they can beat me in a round as if that's a reason to watch. :rolleyes:

yea that one was my fault 100% - was trying to avoid spoilers while watching his stories and literally clicked forward one too many times. so definitely not his fault here, not trying to say or suggest that.

but there definitely can be spoilers in live sports because not everybody is able to watch things live. this isn't like a crazy fringe idea....

when you're watching soccer on NBC sports, there is this option to hide spoilers of other live matches:
4EbMMCI.png

an all time favorite ad:
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DBc/hyundai-2014-fifa-world-cup-because-futbol-avoidance

disc golf subreddit has a rule for not spoiling the results of a tournament in the title of a post for a week after the tournament: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/cc4r1o/tournament_spoiler_policy_no_spoilers_within_two/

I'm a fan of rocket league, and the subreddit recently instituted something of a 24 hour anti-spoiler rule: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeag..._update_no_specific_results_in_titles_within/

you can act like you're 100% right and everybody else is being ridiculous, but then you're just a jerk

That commercial is hilarious.

I just imagine a day when you go to ESPN's website and you'll see "Paul McBeth wins 6th World Title" and say "spoilers!"

I feel like soccer is slightly different in the sense of it's played all over the world so there are games that air at 2 in the morning in the US sometimes. I can't imagine ESPN having a spoiler blocker for the Superbowl or any other mainstream sport. I know disc golf is no one near any of the sports in terms of viewing but we would like it to be.

Watching live sports is more fun.

I only watch the top rated players in any sport, this isn't about movies. Or babies or cats.

So if one of the players on a card isn't top rated, do you turn away every shot to avoid potential contamination of the senses?

Why did DGPT keep cutting away from the lead card Sunday? And why are people not complaining about them cutting away from the lead card Sunday?

That commercial is hilarious.

I just imagine a day when you go to ESPN's website and you'll see "Paul McBeth wins 6th World Title" and say "spoilers!"

I feel like soccer is slightly different in the sense of it's played all over the world so there are games that air at 2 in the morning in the US sometimes. I can't imagine ESPN having a spoiler blocker for the Superbowl or any other mainstream sport. I know disc golf is no one near any of the sports in terms of viewing but we would like it to be.

Watching live sports is more fun.

I pretty much agree with you, and I watch a mix of the two. I used to really not like live coverage but the extra cameras to provide other coverage is just what the doctor ordered. this time, just didn't have the time to watch on Sunday and figured I would wait for post produced after a certain point.

"Daddy, we won!" gets me every time

Couple of thoughts on a few things...

It was mentioned that KJUSA was a punter in college. I would expect in highschool he played an offensive or defensive position also, if not both, and just happened to be the best punter on his team so he did that also. Chances were probably slim of playing in college at whatever his "regular" position was, and was a good enough punter to be able to play at the next level. Same principle as guys who pitch in MLB...in high school all those guys were star athletes and played out in the field on days they weren't on the mound. Get far enough along and you become a dedicated pitcher...so when you see MLB pitchers who are terrible at the plate it's just because their focus is elsewhere now. I'd be curious to see how long KJ has been playing, I'd expect close to 10 years?

McBeth also talked fairly openly here about his chances to play baseball beyond highschool, and chose to dedicate his time to disc golf instead. Dude wasn't some random kid who just picked up a few discs and was a natural overnight. He's been playing for quite some time too...

So I think Brodie definitely has an advantage over a lot of new players, sure he's been playing ultimate for a long time and there is definitely some overlap as far as skill set is concerned. There are also some differences though, and others have commented on how they think those are still holding him back to a certain extent. He'll get there, he's been playing for less than a year. The ultimate background has him on the fast track from a pure throwing perspective, but he still needs time to learn the "golf" part of disc golf. The one thing I do like about his videos is how he is always asking questions after a lot of his shots. He's trying to learn when it makes sense to throw one certain type of shot as opposed to another, things like that ultimately need playing experience, and will be what shaves a couple strokes per round. Dude appears to have the desire to actually learn the game and do what it takes to be competing at a higher level. I'm pretty sure he knows there are a lot of high expectations out of him, as fair or unfair as those may be.

He also has some different views of how to "grow the sport". I personally don't think disc golf needs to mirror ball golf completely to be successful, but I do like some of his ideas. He mentioned on one of the Foundation podcasts that there needs to be a larger focus on the stories unwinding at some of these bigger events...if it's a lower rated player making their way up to a lead or chase card or whatever the story may be. I think that's what draws a lot of us to sports in general, the drama and ability to overcome adversity and perform when it matters.

I can definitely see why people might tune him out though, he's not proved himself on the highest stage yet and is rocking the boat a bit. He also understands the concept of promoting himself as far as social media and youtube is concerned. I think we're starting to see other top level players follow suit, Simon probably the best example of that.

More athletes are coming, will be fun to watch.

I'm guessing there is a plethora of potential high level athletes from just about any sport who worked hard their entire life to "make it" only to find themselves in their 20s, 30s with no college scholarship, no pro career, etc. Those are the guys that could end up slinging discs as well.

And for those that don't care for Brodie...quit posting your drivel here, we get it already. :rolleyes:

Like others have said, his fans really don't care what his rating is or how well he plays. There is no doubt, he probably kicks himself in the ass on more than one occasion lately for not taking the game more serious years ago. If he sticks with the game, getting into the top 10 will be much more likely in the master's division.

I don't love or hate him, just find the obsession with him kind of weird. Definitely a cool story to be 983 rated already, but he's not someone I'm thinking about when I watch the pros.

I've never seen anyone post, "Hey check out this cat video, it'll be the 76th best cat video you'll see this weekend".

No I don't. I respect all women but the pro disc golfers are not good enough to watch. Their constant scoring spread shows that, for one.

Now post how they can beat me in a round as if that's a reason to watch. :rolleyes:

Nah, I respect that.

I personally do watch it. Maybe to see how well I compare. Or maybe for the same reasons I *sometimes* watch the WNBA, LPGA tour, WTA, -- or even NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. They are all better athletes than I at what they do; I simply enjoy watching competitive sport. Like movies, they don't have to be "the best work or art" in order for me to want to watch. But that's just me. I get that it's different strokes for different folks. I was just asking there.

Couple of thoughts on a few things...

It was mentioned that KJUSA was a punter in college. I would expect in highschool he played an offensive or defensive position also, if not both, and just happened to be the best punter on his team so he did that also. Chances were probably slim of playing in college at whatever his "regular" position was, and was a good enough punter to be able to play at the next level. Same principle as guys who pitch in MLB...in high school all those guys were star athletes and played out in the field on days they weren't on the mound. Get far enough along and you become a dedicated pitcher...so when you see MLB pitchers who are terrible at the plate it's just because their focus is elsewhere now. I'd be curious to see how long KJ has been playing, I'd expect close to 10 years?

Don't know how long he's been playing dg, but he was receiver and safety in high school and WR college for a bit.

https://arkansastechsports.com/sports/football/roster/kevin-jones/848

And the Ultiworld story from 3 years ago.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/10/04/who-is-kevin-jones/

There's Sean Tapley also. He was a WR in college and was on Local Routes New Year's Day event in Cali. Dude crushes but seems to have plateaued for the moment in the 970 range.

Latest posts