• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I do not understand the Brodie hate. He plays ball golf, so he is not going to be disruptive during the round.

Is it from those whom want disc golf to stay niche?
Is it from those whom are scared of a higher caliber of physical athleticism coming into our game?
Maybe it's a little of both, maybe it's fear that the jocks are going to come in and push out the current players?

I tend to root for the MJ's, the Jone' s, the GG's... you know, the nice guys. I started out following this to see how someone very athletic, with the correct build, picks up the game*. I was very ambivalent on Brodies success but this is triggering my contrarian nature. Put me in the camp of cheering for him to go 1000 rated by August.

*Kevin Jones is very athletic, so is Climo. One does not have the classic throwers build, the other past his prime when the current class of discs and courses came about.

One thing I've noticed here are people who claim there are "haters" never quote the "haters".

I don't see haters, I see debate. If you can't handle someone being skeptical about his play this year without calling them haters then that's on you not them.

One thing I've noticed here are people who claim there are "haters" never quote the "haters".

I don't see haters, I see debate. If you can't handle someone being skeptical about his play this year without calling them haters then that's on you not them.

You may want to start from the beginning of the thread. See posts #2-5 for example. :D I'm sure there are more along these lines in the thread, too.

And I'm not holding anyone's opinion against them. I just think that these types of posts are where some of the perceived "hate" comes from.

Last edited:
You may want to start from the beginning of the thread. See posts #2-5 for example. :D I'm sure there are more along these lines in the thread, too.

And I'm not holding anyone's opinion against them. I just think that these types of posts are where some of the perceived "hate" comes from.

So he's annoying? That's what I read from those posts and it seems quite a few agree.

I wouldn't call that hating Brodie, I call it hate being annoyed. I don't know anyone who wants a loud card mate during tournaments.

But at least you pointed to some examples, thanks. :thmbup:

So he's annoying? That's what I read from those posts and it seems quite a few agree.

I wouldn't call that hating Brodie, I call it hate being annoyed. I don't know anyone who wants a loud card mate during tournaments.

But at least you pointed to some examples, thanks. :thmbup:

I never claimed that it was hate either, which is why I said "perceived" hate. :D

It's definitely a fine line and some people have thicker skin than others.

Last edited:
That might be tru, but i still think 5% is low
Jomez has 171k subs. . . and their latest videos around 60-90k views , around 30-50% of their subs

Most of Jomez subscribers are just few years old. Brodie has had lot's of subscribers for, I don't 5-10 years? I bet most of the subscribers aren't active anymore (the focus of his channel has likely changed since his active ultimate years, to ball golf and now disc golf), i.e. the subscriber number could be quite inflated.

I don't know Brodie, so I have no desire to waste emotional energy hating a stranger. I did try to watch that round he played with Paul and Simon. He was rather annoying which made the video unwatchable for me. I don't wish him failure but I also don't expect instant success.

He'll be a novelty for a while. He'll have big galleries of the curious for the first few events but I don't see him breaking out in any major way this year at least. It might be fun watching an already elite athlete learn a new sport though, someone ought to document his first year as a disc golfer. That would be an interesting video to see.

Hes talking to ultimate players, his core audience. 100k views in a couple of days beats anything the established DG media channels could usually expect.

And all these potential new players are now familiar with brand McBeth and the range of DC discs. Familiarity in a store full of discs is comforting.

I don't personally like his style of manufactured suspense or surprise, like a reality TV show, but he ain't doing a bad job of introducing basics to a new audience.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'll be curious to see how they figure out the number of new players he brings to disc golf.

We have metrics on the growth of pdga numbers, it would be easy to project the growth for the next couple of years. If there is a sudden spike well beyond that projection and nothing else to explain it I would be comfortable giving Brodie most of the credit.

Yeah, PDGA numbers would be pretty easy to see. The number of new players not so easy to figure out.

Maybe we could develop a field guide for spotting "new players who appear to have been inspired by Brodie." What traits would we look for to identify such people?

You could sell "Im here because of Brodie stickers" at tournaments and get back to us...

Maybe we could develop a field guide for spotting "new players who appear to have been inspired by Brodie." What traits would we look for to identify such people?

Any "Get in the hole!" disc golfers have a good chance of being Brodie bros.

Their could be a bunch of people walking around with "I (heart) BS" stickers and sew on patches.

Hes talking to ultimate players, his core audience. 100k views in a couple of days beats anything the established DG media channels could usually expect.

That is good, although I bet big proportion of those views are from same people who already watch Jomez, Simon etc. But sure, they have less than half of Brodie's views in the same time, and I doubt BS stuff is so interesting itself that old DG watchers just skip other videos and watch BS.

Latest posts