• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith vs Paul vs Simon

I like the trick shot videos, but yeah that would be immensely better if they edited out all the dumb stuff Brodie says.

It's funny to me, how trick shots use the same skill sets as disc golf, but have such an opposite philosophy otherwise.

For trick shots, you're just trying to set up a flashy looking throw, and it can be incredibly low percentage. Contrast that with disc golf, where ideally you are able to select shots you can confidently execute, first time every time. I've said it before, but good disc golf can look pretty boring. Safe lines and easily makable putts.

Edit: and that's why I think Brodie won't be an instant disc golf talent. His skill sets have not been trained to produce reliable results. One good throw out of 50 attempts has always been sufficient. That's not a recipe for scoring well in disc golf.

Last edited:
These videos are actually retreads. Here is Avery, Simon, and Brodie back in 2015.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjARegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2gTEMHz6d-0ouqpef5tX0a

Came here to post this.

I get that Brodie rubs some people the wrong way with his intense personality, but that's part of what is making him money.

Coming from an Ultimate background, it's pretty amazing to see how he has leveraged his skill into making a good living outside of that sport.

Top disc golf pros could take a few lessons on that.

Came here to post this.

I get that Brodie rubs some people the wrong way with his intense personality, but that's part of what is making him money.

Coming from an Ultimate background, it's pretty amazing to see how he has leveraged his skill into making a good living outside of that sport.

Top disc golf pros could take a few lessons on that.

Hard to say how much he really is making. He started the bro5 (didn't pan out), doing the golf channel which is in the growing stage. His original site income (according to socialblade) guestimates anywhere from 7k-98k from annual youtube income alone.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/brodiesmith21

The round was tough to watch. Brody is just loud. Got the feeling Paul was getting a little impatient at times. I agree though, give him some discs and pointers before ya play, he'd probably do pretty well.

The trick shots was a lot more fun to watch. Simons double make was pretty cool. And wasn't as loud.

Brodie looks like what i imagine somebody with ADHD would look like. Always putting himself into the center of attention, shouting around, doing stupid stuff. Way too loud for disc golf.

I like how his trickshot videos went viral and more people saw Frisbee on youtube. But for all i care he can stay there.

source.gif

We had my kids' birthday party at that trampoline park this past spring, wish I had known we could bring discs. That's the same course they did Paul's first Discraft in-the-bag video at - Turner Park, rumored to be closing soon. It's close to both DFW airports and likely makes it easier for everyone to find a cheap flight to meet up with Jomez.

Plus they don't allow consecutive flips, you can see that on the rules sign in the background.

Watching that video reminds me of rewatching old episodes of The Office.

Brodie is like Michael Scott, he HAS TO be loud and get all the attention, but mostly he just says dumb s***.

Simon is Jim Halpert. He quietly does something entertaining, then looks at the camera and smiles a little bit.

It's funny to me, how trick shots use the same skill sets as disc golf, but have such an opposite philosophy otherwise.

For trick shots, you're just trying to set up a flashy looking throw, and it can be incredibly low percentage. Contrast that with disc golf, where ideally you are able to select shots you can confidently execute, first time every time. I've said it before, but good disc golf can look pretty boring. Safe lines and easily makable putts.
I thought about this as well. Also interesting to see the difference of Brodie and Simon/Paul on the course. The disc golfers all quiet and patient. Brodie the difference.

... but then I remembered his Ultimate background. There you throw discs as well, but not quiet and patient but with a lot of energy and physical presence on the field. This is how he acts (plus his Youtube persona on top of it).

Edit: and that's why I think Brodie won't be an instant disc golf talent. His skill sets have not been trained to produce reliable results. One good throw out of 50 attempts has always been sufficient. That's not a recipe for scoring well in disc golf.

Not sure, because I think he's foremost a good Ultimate player, which requires a lot of consistency in constantly varying situations. This is a well suited skill for disc golf, let's say after the drive. I think that scrabling would be his best skill. (Putting needs too much practice and driving is the most different to Ultimate.)

As well: If his trickshot percentages would be too low, he wouldn't do such videos.

I'm not saying that he would be successful in disc golf, but if he would want to become decent (which I am sure he does not), I think he could with some focussed training.

I enjoyed the trick shot video, but I don't mind watching a Brodie/Dude Perfect type video every now and again. I could only get through one hole of the video on Jomez though. It wasn't because of Brodie's personality, it's just that it was mediocre disc golf to watch.. same reason I don't watch the Final 9 videos that Jomez puts out.

Latest posts