• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bug Repellent

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Ok so I don't like gnats and mosquitos all around me, but that's a problem since most courses I play go right through their homes...

And I hate bug spray.

Hate hate hate.

As in, I hate the smell of it, I hate the feel of it, I hate breathing in overspray. But DEET works great.

So I tried the wipes. I kept pouches of the Off Deet wipes in my bag along with regular wipes to clean off my hands as well as a mini trash bin (a travel soap container) to hold said wipes when using them in the middle of a course. But you're still covered in it, and an arm covered in DEET does wonders to the plastic interior of your car if you rest your arm on it on your drive home.

So I explored other things like Badger Balm. Smelled good, was made from like olive oil or something and was nontoxic and washed off well. But it also didn't do anything to repel gnats and really didn't do much on mosquitos either. And I slathered myself in it because I'm usually the bait ball for everyone else... mosquitos love me.

But I just found this stuff. I'm new to Picaridin, but I guess it's all the rage outside of the USA.
Sawyer's Picaridin Lotion Packets
The same folks who make the permethrin spray I use on my boots, pants, socks, bag, etc. make this and so I tried it out.

I have to say, the lotion is a nice water based lightly scented lotion that is enough per packet to cover your arms, neck, and face, and the odor goes away quickly.
Unlike DEET, it doesn't destroy plastics.
But like DEET, it seems to work really well as a bug repellent.

I only have one trial run of the stuff, but last night my card mates were constantly shooing away the bugs and I barely noticed them.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'm sure there are others out there who hate bug sprays.

Spray shirt while not wearing it.

Carry a clean shirt for post round and change.

Might help. You'd still smell it.

My brother has taken garlic pills for years and they help him tremendously. And I've never noticed him smelling like garlic.

I like the Lemon-Eucalyptus pump spray repellent. I forget the brand. I've gotten in the sporting goods section at Walmart. But it does smell and is oily, so not much help in your case.

Haha I think I was unclear in my first post.

I am a huge fan of this Picaridin lotion from Sawyer's.

Here's what REI's website has to say on DEET vs Picaridin:
Picaridin vs. DEET
Because they're the most effective repellents, people often ask which is better. Here's a quick comparison:
DEET: It's considered the gold standard in terms of its effectiveness. It's been used and studied more than any other repellent in human history, though it must be handled carefully because it can damage plastics (think sunglasses, trekking pole grips, etc.)
Picaridin: Though it's been around for fewer decades, its efficacy is considered comparable to DEET for mosquitoes and ticks, and it works better on flies. Picaridin also has minimal odor and no damaging effect on plastics and other synthetics.​

I'm a fan of the Sawyer's picaridin lotion. I'm putting it through a better test this weekend.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've damaged/marred a few discs on one trip due to bug spray, so it's good to know about non plastic damaging alternatives. It had the worst reaction with a white Lucid Evidence I own, and looked like a lighter was almost taken to it in spots and caused melting. My other plastics ended up having parts of the plastic in my bag permanently sticking to the disc, but no warping of the plastic (one was champion plastic and the other fuzion).

Picaridin was in some Avon skin-so-soft many years ago and we used it backpacking. Mountains have heavy bugs, like I've eaten lots of mosquitos in my oatmeal because they were so thick. Now Picardin is in more products-got approved by gov or something. It is a pepper extract. Ranger Ready is what I am using now. Works great.

Where bugs are worst, only long sleeves and netting will save you. No smell, 100% effective.

DEET really doesn't do much in deep woods/heavy mosquito presence.

Permetherin is great against ticks/chiggers but won't really stop 'squitos.

I've heard great things from Picaridin for years. IIRC Australian military uses it. Should probably give it a try. That said, I still doubt it's better than sleeves and netting in worst case scenarios. :)

Thanks for clarifying—never heard of it before and didn't know DEET was harmful to plastic.

Kind of a side question. Fipronil Is the preferred anti flea and tick topical for dogs as I understand it.

It's absorbed through the skin and provides protection for ~ 30 days.

I wonder how it would affect people? I'm not rushing to try it, but given the apparent increase in ticks and tick born disease—would outdoors type people and particularly DG players that play a lot in wooded courses potentially benefit from it? Is it safe for people?

DEET eats synthetics. If you've noticed those $20 socks losing their elasticity in one season.... there ya go. Eats most synthetic stitching in shoes as well as adhesives.

One issue with fipronil in humans other than unexplored toxicity is that efficacy is markedly decreased by bathing. [emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local course gets really infested with yellow flies this time of year. Does anyone recommend something specifically for yellow flies?

I looked up the fipronil thing.

It's very toxic if ingested. It's been banned as a pesticide in agriculture because it harms bees.

I'd say it would be a bad idea to try it as a tick repellent for humans based on what I googled.

Back in the late 70s thru early 90s, I used to do a LOT of long distance bicycle trips (dates me, I know).

At that time (esp. mid 80s), there was a plastic wrap that very common to use on handlebars of the bikes.

The combination of hammock camping and cycling caused me to use quite a bit of DEET.

I quickly learned that DEET would literally melt the tape off of your handlebars. In a 15 minute ride with deet on my hands I would melt thru the tape and be holding bare aluminum.

I remember thinking this stuff can't be good for you.

I try my very best to avoid if possible.

I like to spray my clothes, wear long pants, long sleeves and even a net if really buggy.

I always play wearing at least a ball cap even if not too buggy. The cap seems to reduce ticks and the gnats in my face.