• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warning to Disc Golfers: Deet Damage(+1 pic)

Waddly Hobbins

Eagle Member
I thought I'd post this as a warning to others so that you may learn from my mistake.

For those that use bug spray while playing in the woods, be careful with deet based sprays. The Deet acts as a solvent and can "eat" into the plastic. I learned this the hard way today.

I was just starting my round and got to the first tee, tons of bugs. Well whipped out the 40% Deet Repel, sprayed some with disc still in hand. When I got back to the tee, I looked down at my disc and saw that there were these little dots all over the disc and the hot stamp. I quickly washed it off with water from my bottle to no avail and soon realized that the bug spray had done this. With a closer look I saw that I now had fingerprints permanently left in the plastic too (barely noticeable, but still there.)

This is my main disc, it's going to get beat up, I just hate when I get marks on my discs that aren't "battle damage" from the course. I'm just letting people know in case they have a prized disc or two that they'd be pissed that this happened to.

*last minute edit* This is Z plastic in case you are wondering. I don't know what other plastics would be effected, but I'd guess at least Champion.
img7125.jpg

If the spray did that to plastic, imagine what it's doing to your body. I think I'd worry more about yourself. Depending upon how serious the damage is, the disc might not be legal for tourney play anymore (could be considered a post-production modification).

yea, i was going to stop using that stuff. I think it would still be legal for tourney, the dots are really tiny and have no depth to them (they feel smooth under the finger.)

I'll look into the lemon/ eucalptus stuff, I hate smelling like bug spray after I'm done playing.

If the spray did that to plastic, imagine what it's doing to your body. I think I'd worry more about yourself.

Not to mention what it's doing to the environment! Bug spray kills grass hardcore.

Personally I like to rub a dryer sheet over all my exposed skin when playing in wooded areas.. the mosquitoes are fooled into thinking I'm just a freshly laundered sheet.

Although I've heard that this method doesn't work on everyone though. Seems to work for me though, and I play on some heavily wooded Wisconsin courses.

Just my two cents. Saves the disc, the earth, and your skin from those pests.

Deet is widely known for destroying plastics, but studies show that it is not harmful to your skin. I wouldn't go ingesting it, of course. I'd bet if you soaked a disc in it you'd end up with a messy slurry that was once a disc.

If the spray did that to plastic, imagine what it's doing to your body. I think I'd worry more about yourself. Depending upon how serious the damage is, the disc might not be legal for tourney play anymore (could be considered a post-production modification).

Thats why I dont use it

Never really thought of bug spray damaging my discs. I guess that is just one more thing to think about.

this happened to the siding on my parents house when i was little, compliments of me ;), complete accident by the way i thought spraying the repelent on the bugs on the wall would kill them

I usually drink 3 glasses of deet a day to keep the bugs away.

Doctors orders.

Our FLX plastic seems to be particulalry prone to damage from chemicals.....not only Off, but even the hand lotion I use leaves pits, markings, and permanent fingerprints on them.

I was playing one day and accidentally dropped my bag on top of a huge pile of ants. I grabbed my deet to try and get them off and it ended up eating into my discs. That stuff is wicked.

Acetone and hexane would eat into discs as well, and acetone is found in the human body. Nothing else works for bugs except DEET, except for long pants, that is.